Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning to Trade 2014 Pre-AP MS85 for 2020 M3 SR+ Inventory Car - Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello M3 crew! I wanted to gather your thoughts and get a sanity check on my planned purchase of a 2020 M3 SR+ inventory car and trade-in of a 2014 MS85 without AP (late September 2014 build - one week prior to AP1 roll out).

I am a big fan of the interior layout of the MS and the overall sleekness of its design (although I am not a big fan of the pre-face-lift grill). I also at times enjoy the space within the cabin, although we have a full size SUV in the household and hardly ever use the MS to haul anything. I've been toying around with the idea of swapping out the MS for a modern Tesla with AP, full warranty coverage, and a current generation MCU that can handle software updates/upgrades for years to come. While the MCU1 MS has bore the benefit of OTA software upgrades over the years, it is starting to show its 6+ year old age both aesthetically and mechanically.

I was browsing local new Tesla inventory cars this past weekend and came across a nicely discounted 2020 M3 SR+ with 1,200 miles (being sold as new). The deal seemed strong and I figured it was worth the $100 deposit, which I could move to another Tesla should I decide against the M3. The car order sheet is attached here for reference - the configured price was $41,490 and had a $3,130 discount to bring the pre-destination and doc fee price to $38,360. Tesla is also offering sub-3% 72-month financing for new cars as well. Tesla is also offering what I find to be a fair trade-in value of $31k for my MS with just under 50k miles. Also, for whatever its worth, a Tesla rep I spoke with said that Tesla corporate recently sent an email stating that their trade-in values are soon to be slashed given the current economic climate.

Having never driven a M3, I rented a 2019 SR+ M3 (Turo) and spent some time behind the wheel over the weekend. First impressions were that the M3 definitely feels tighter in the cabin - the yacht-floor laden MS feels cavernous in comparison. The single-screen interface of the M3 also is something that will take some getting used to - the fixed 1/3 of the screen makes the relatively large display feel a bit cramped at times. The MCU itself is however way snappier and more responsive than my MCU1 unit. I did find the M3 seats to be way more comfortable than my first-gen MS seats, the noticeable smaller steering wheel felt better in-hand, and the car itself had significantly less road noise/wind noise and road feel than my MS (19" rims) - from what I gather, the newer MS's are a lot more refined than the first generation models. I also found that the M3 looked more modern, especially from the front, than my pre-facelift MS. Even though the rate 0-60 of the SR+ is a bit quicker than the MS85, the car didn't feel as quick - the MS might feel a bit quick because of the mass being moved under hard acceleration.

Overall, I have chalked up a fair amount more items in the "Pro" column for the M3 and think I will finalize purchase in the coming days, although I would love to get a sanity check from this forum - particularly from those who moved from a pre-AP MS to a M3. Thank you all in advance for any thoughts you might share!

SR+ Order Agreement:
Model3.png

I just went through this and had a lot of reservations. 2014 S85 and traded in for a P3D at $60K. After 1 day, I now wonder why the model S had all those unneeded stalks, controls and screens. If there really is a inside size difference, I don't notice it. Love the car.

Hello M3 crew! I wanted to gather your thoughts and get a sanity check on my planned purchase of a 2020 M3 SR+ inventory car and trade-in of a 2014 MS85 without AP (late September 2014 build - one week prior to AP1 roll out).

I am a big fan of the interior layout of the MS and the overall sleekness of its design (although I am not a big fan of the pre-face-lift grill). I also at times enjoy the space within the cabin, although we have a full size SUV in the household and hardly ever use the MS to haul anything. I've been toying around with the idea of swapping out the MS for a modern Tesla with AP, full warranty coverage, and a current generation MCU that can handle software updates/upgrades for years to come. While the MCU1 MS has bore the benefit of OTA software upgrades over the years, it is starting to show its 6+ year old age both aesthetically and mechanically.

I was browsing local new Tesla inventory cars this past weekend and came across a nicely discounted 2020 M3 SR+ with 1,200 miles (being sold as new). The deal seemed strong and I figured it was worth the $100 deposit, which I could move to another Tesla should I decide against the M3. The car order sheet is attached here for reference - the configured price was $41,490 and had a $3,130 discount to bring the pre-destination and doc fee price to $38,360. Tesla is also offering sub-3% 72-month financing for new cars as well. Tesla is also offering what I find to be a fair trade-in value of $31k for my MS with just under 50k miles. Also, for whatever its worth, a Tesla rep I spoke with said that Tesla corporate recently sent an email stating that their trade-in values are soon to be slashed given the current economic climate.

Having never driven a M3, I rented a 2019 SR+ M3 (Turo) and spent some time behind the wheel over the weekend. First impressions were that the M3 definitely feels tighter in the cabin - the yacht-floor laden MS feels cavernous in comparison. The single-screen interface of the M3 also is something that will take some getting used to - the fixed 1/3 of the screen makes the relatively large display feel a bit cramped at times. The MCU itself is however way snappier and more responsive than my MCU1 unit. I did find the M3 seats to be way more comfortable than my first-gen MS seats, the noticeable smaller steering wheel felt better in-hand, and the car itself had significantly less road noise/wind noise and road feel than my MS (19" rims) - from what I gather, the newer MS's are a lot more refined than the first generation models. I also found that the M3 looked more modern, especially from the front, than my pre-facelift MS. Even though the rate 0-60 of the SR+ is a bit quicker than the MS85, the car didn't feel as quick - the MS might feel a bit quick because of the mass being moved under hard acceleration.

Overall, I have chalked up a fair amount more items in the "Pro" column for the M3 and think I will finalize purchase in the coming days, although I would love to get a sanity check from this forum - particularly from those who moved from a pre-AP MS to a M3. Thank you all in advance for any thoughts you might share!

SR+ Order Agreement:
View attachment 529683

IMHO, you are quite sane. Also, I think that the logic of your argument to make the change now is very sound. Go for it.

mddmx and alexucf - thank you both for your thoughts/replies. Definitely reassuring to hear from legacy early run S85 owners that have made the same switch!

I was a little hesitant at first and worried most about the size difference with kids in the backseat. It just hasn't been an issue, and the polish of the car is just so much better imo. I got past whatever doubts I had very quickly.

You'll love it.

I did a similar trade back in September 2019. The only thing I miss from my 2014 MS is the cargo space/ hatch. The rest the model 3 has to offer is on par or better than the model S. As far as the price it is decent on the amount but I do anticipate more discounts to show as we near the end of June.

Do it. I'd be treating it as urgent.

Tesla gave me a trade-in valuation of $54K for my 3P-, but of course no YPs are available.

The new and used car market will be very challenging soon. Then again, priorities. Be well.

I plan to trade mine on a Y. Don’t want to give up the hatch and cargo space, and would prefer higher ride height both for myself and older family members. And I’m tired of driving a land yacht so not really interested in the X.

31k seems like a good trade in - that’s way more than they offered me, though I do have 103k+ miles.

Try carvana on trade in. My boss traded in his 13 MS40 with about 60k miles and not all that great shape and they gave him $30k last Nov. cant hurt
Do it. I'd be treating it as urgent.

Tesla gave me a trade-in valuation of $54K for my 3P-, but of course no YPs are available.

The new and used car market will be very challenging soon. Then again, priorities. Be well.

Most online retailers (Carvana, Vroom, etc) are no longer buying cars unless they are being traded in for a purchase of a car from their inventory. To Salted's point, used car trade-in values have and will continue to drop sharply, which is part of the reason I am trying to make a move sooner than later. As mentioned in my original post, a Tesla rep also stated that company-wide guidance has been distributed to provide sales reps with talking points to explain to customers why their trade-in values are so low.

Also it will be slim pickings for new cars given the lack of production - in the case of Tesla, all assemble lines are shut down and only new and used inventory cars are being sold and delivered. As of this posting, there are only 871 Model 3's available for sale in the US. Of the 871 Model 3's available, only 78 are priced below $40k. Crazy.

Most online retailers (Carvana, Vroom, etc) are no longer buying cars unless they are being traded in for a purchase of a car from their inventory. To Salted's point, used car trade-in values have and will continue to drop sharply, which is part of the reason I am trying to make a move sooner than later. As mentioned in my original post, a Tesla rep also stated that company-wide guidance has been distributed to provide sales reps with talking points to explain to customers why their trade-in values are so low.

I like your reasoning on this. I would heed the Tesla rep's cautionary note. If the car you found is what you want, the deal sounds very reasonable to me.

Also it will be slim pickings for new cars given the lack of production - in the case of Tesla, all assemble lines are shut down and only new and used inventory cars are being sold and delivered. As of this posting, there are only 871 Model 3's available for sale in the US. Of the 871 Model 3's available, only 78 are priced below $40k. Crazy.

My last reply wound up as the middle paragraph of yours. Not sure what happened. Sorry.

Ahh no worries. I did just end up finalizing the purchase and accepting the deal just now. For reference, here are the quotes I got from other companies for my Tesla (as I mentioned earlier, some companies provided these numbers in support of a trade-in only as many are not buying cars outright):

2014 Pre-AP Model S85 - 48,250 miles - Pano roof, sub-zero, hi-fi audio, coils - Decent condition with a few battle scars. Tires and brakes will need to be replaced/serviced soon.

Tesla: $30,900
Carvana: $29,000
Vroom: $22,000
Carmax: $21,000 (in-person appraisal/printed offer)
AutoNation: $26,500
Cars.com (via CarBuyerUSA): $27,050

Reactions: mongo
Ahh no worries. I did just end up finalizing the purchase and accepting the deal just now. For reference, here are the quotes I got from other companies for my Tesla (as I mentioned earlier, some companies provided these numbers in support of a trade-in only as many are not buying cars outright):

2014 Pre-AP Model S85 - 48,250 miles - Pano roof, sub-zero, hi-fi audio, coils - Decent condition with a few battle scars. Tires and brakes will need to be replaced/serviced soon.

Tesla: $30,900
Carvana: $29,000
Vroom: $22,000
Carmax: $21,000 (in-person appraisal/printed offer)
AutoNation: $26,500
Cars.com (via CarBuyerUSA): $27,050

Glad it worked out for you. All the numbers sounded solid to me. Tesla made a good bid on my car back in December - especially when sales tax savings were factored in. Enjoy the car.

Thank you all again for the help and advice here! To close the loop, I took delivery of my 2020 Model 3 SR+ earlier this week. A Tesla delivery employee/rep drove the car to my home and took my traded-in Model S back to the service center. The home delivery process took about 5 minutes and went smoothly. The Tesla rep said that if I ran into any issues, I could identify those items and have them added to a due bill within 3 days or 100 miles.

The car itself was/is in new condition - I have not been able to observe any real wear or tear from the car's ~1,700 miles as a demo vehicle. My immediate observations have been that the overall fit and finish of this car is WAY better than that of my 2014 Model S, the partial-premium audio is much better than the High Fidelity audio in the Model S (was worried that this would be a downgrade), and the driving dynamics are much smoother. The smaller size of the car is still taking a bit of time to get used to - mainly just the amount of open space now around the car in the garage, but I'd imagine I will appreciate that going forward. Zero regrets so far in the early goings.

Here is a picture of the car as it currently sits. I had Xpel XR+ tint installed the day after delivery - 15% on the sides, back/roof (single piece), and 50% on the windshield. Next aesthetic "mod" will be powder coating the sport rims black (still undecided between matte and gloss).

IMG_1458.jpg

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: Zcd1
Any feedback on the deal itself? Is ~$3,000 price adjustment par for the course for inventory cars or can that discount be even larger?

That's probably as good as you will get with a SR+. Your trade in value for a pre AP S is excellent. There was a new demo P3D w/ 6300 miles posted with a $9k+ discount which made it $47k. I think something like that would be the best deal. You get longer range, performance, full premium interior which has a much improved stereo.

Edit*** just saw you got your new car. Congrats! You will love it