TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Planning trip from Santa Rosa up Mendocino Coast. Any charging suggestions?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by CHG-ON, Dec 5, 2015.

1. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Hi All,

I'm planning a holiday road trip from Santa Rosa up to Crescent City, via the Mendocino Coast. Charging options look very scarce. We were hoping to do either cheap B&Bs or AirBnB. There are options at some pretty nice looking hotels. But I really want to avoid the 200+ charge per night for the destination chargers plus room (you can see my priorities!). But I can only find a very few public charge points, like maybe 5. Has anybody done this? I would be very grateful for suggestions on locations, charger reliability and and any crowding issues.

Many thanks!

2. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

This is somewhat of a problem because there are not many places to plug in, of course some B&B's have level 2 chargers like the Stanford Inn in Mendo. I would also like to take a trip up that way but not much in the way of chargers happening.

3. Zextraterrestrial

#3 Zextraterrestrial, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    I stayed in Mendo to check out one of the B& B chargers. nice place but ~$200 with awesome breakfast & beautiful gardens! I think the north coast brewery has a 14-50. pretty sure Boonville - Anderson valley brewing has one too on hwy128
    Are you planning on staying in Mendocino/Fort Bragg for a night? I'd stop at Benbow and charge if you're not or even if you are and want to get to C.C.
    The charger in Eureka at Caltrans is only 30A, but free & Costco is really close( & the least crowded one in CA that I've been to)
    chargepoints around here are pretty reliable and probably less than 50% utilization.
    In Arcata there is a 14-50 where the chargepoint is (2345 is the lock code)
    I think there is a good 14-50 in Trinidad too.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I am curious how you discovered these charges.

5. Zextraterrestrial

room rates...

I wonder if the Mendo B&B's would let a non customer use the chargers? worth asking if they are available.

6. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

The Benbow and Stanford chargers are free to guests.

7. Zextraterrestrial

Benbow was free to anyone and I doubt they are changing that.

8. Wshowell

Wshowell Member

The Sea Ranch lodge has a few HPWC's just out in the open area of their parking lot. Maybe a stop for lunch and a hike will give you some flexibility. It's a spot that you can easily spend two hours at before getting back on the road.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Thanks guys. That helps a lot. Especially the Sea Ranch charges. That might just do it.

10. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I've done this route, but you're right, with no SC in Eureka, this gets a little difficult, especially on the coastal route. I hear you on the preference to stay in affordable places, but if you're willing to be spendy, I've stayed at both of these with HPWCs and it was an amazing experience.

Sea Rock Inn, Mendocino - amazing views, great service, free breakfast. Rooms are super cute with fireplaces. $$$$
    Victorian Inn, Ferndale - cute town and hotel, like you've stepped back 100 years in time. Quite cheap.

- K

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The Coast Guard House in Point Arena has a J1772 L2 charger but you have to be a guest to use it.

12. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

About a 300 mile trip, right? Charge full before leaving (that is 255 miles for me), find a place along the way to get about 60-80 miles of a makeup charge (maybe one of those 5 places you mentioned), arrive near empty, and then stay at a place that has charging facilities to get back to full again for the next day or when you leave...