Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning trip to Carlsbad Caverns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up my model X on Saturday in Denver and already planning my first road trip. I'd like to visit Carlsbad Caverns in the fall. I've been to the area for work and already reached out to the Hampton Inn and the GM sounded interested and said she would contact Tesla. However, it is 210 miles from Santa Rosa, which I know I could make but it would prefer to have a bigger cushion. That area is a charging black hole. It would be nice if I could find a place in Roswell where I could grab a bite to eat and a few electrons. Possibly downtown, maybe near the alien museum. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd be happy to reach out to any business that is suggested.
Thanks in advance for your help.

I wonder if there will ever be a large push to have charging at National Parks, wouldn't that be great!

This spring on the way to the Sound of Silence rally in South Dakota, we camped at Black Canyon on the Gunnison NP in Colorado. They have 20 or so campsites intended for RVs which have NEMA 14-50 power! My wife and I reserved one of those sites, pitched our tent (literally) and enjoyed a couple of days of touring around the area with overnight charging in the park.

kk7p- I guess campsites are always an option, but I may have a hard time convincing my family, they prefer indoor plumbing and hot showers! I've been driving a leaf for a few years and have accepted the inconvinces of driving a limited range EV. Now that we're getting a tesla, I'm less inclined to compromise.
I do appreciate all those that purchased EVs before me and had to find creative ways to charge at times. Fortunately, the supercharger network is growing every day!

I live in Eunice, NM. I can make to the caverns and back on one charge and I have an 80A HPWC with a few restaurants within walking distance. I am on plugshare.

The charging in this area is sparse. If you're coming from ABQ there's a nice RV Park in Capitan, NM, Mama Bear RV park right next to a small cafe and hotel. I've charged there about a dozen times... the owners are super friendly.

Heading from Santa Rosa is trickier... I usually charge in Portales when I head north but that's kinda out of the way...

There is a KOA near Carlsbad (13 miles North).
So you can sleep in a Kabin, while you charge your car.
The have showers, restrooms, community room.

(800) 562-9109

There are a couple of other RV parks also in Carlsbad, and three more near Roswell.

PM me if you need other RV Park locations.

I am looking forward to a visit there in October thanks to new Superchargers in Cisco and Sweetwater.

I'm on your way :)

Let me know if you need a quick boost from my 80A HPWC in Eunice, on the house. There's a place to eat two blocks away.

I appreciate you reaching out with your generous offer.
235 miles from Sweetwater to Carlsbad, only 167 miles to Eunice.
And there are a lot of headwinds to contend with.

As my travel plans and dates firm up, I will be in touch with you.
Many thanks!!!!

Over $100/night and bring your own linens?!

I called and checked for the Kabin and charging.
$73 is what they quoted, for a Kabin only in mid to late October.
Kabins typically have a queen size bed and a bunk bed.
The Owner was not there, he needed to be consulted about cost for charging (I need to charge at a 14-50 outlet).
Not every place is familiar with an electric car (yet), and Southern New Mexico is kinda off the beaten path (lady on the phone thought I had an electric golf cart -- lol).
Another opportunity to inform.
At most other KOAs I have visited/stayed at, cost for charging was around $10 per night.

Yes, you will need to provide your own linens: I typically just use a sleeping bag and some pillows.
Kabins typically have a covered front porch and a fire pit near it.

I have stayed at multiple KOA Kabins, and they seldom have charged me more than $50 a night (for the Kabin).
But, as fall and winter approaches, people start heading South to avoid cold and snow, so that might have something to do with the slightly higher cost.

I called and checked for the Kabin and charging.
$73 is what they quoted, for a Kabin only in mid to late October.
I went to their web site and plugged in a couple of midweek dates in early November and it came up $120 or so for the smaller cabin with bathroom. There were 4 or 5 different options based on size and whether it contained a bathroom.

Please keep us informed on what you find out. I'm not in a rush to go there, so maybe there will be a SC by the time I go. If I wait long enough, I'll qualify for the NPS Senior Pass :)

Hmmm.... they SHOULD be familiar... that was one of Brian Kents stops on his negative carbon road trip.

I listened to Brian speak at NTREG in Dallas several months ago, have pictures of his car an six(?) other local Leafs.
His car was virtually covered with stickers from various groups and sponsors.

I went to their web site and plugged in a couple of midweek dates in early November and it came up $120 or so for the smaller cabin with bathroom.

Please keep us informed on what you find out. I'm not in a rush to go there, so maybe there will be a SC by the time I go. If I wait long enough, I'll qualify for the NPS Senior Pass :)

I have only experienced one Kabin with a ensuite bathroom (no shower or tub).
Typically, just the regular Kabin is good enough to get a full charge, some rest and get rolling again.
Prefer a Supercharger any time, but when the pickings are lean, I try to get the best "electron juice" I can.

And I qualified for NPS Senior Pass this year.
Four more months still remain in 2016, we might see a few more Superchargers on I-10//I-20 completed.
Then I can skip the RV Park charging (and sleeping) scenario.

Last edited:
I live in northern NM and have long wanted to take a trip in my S down south to see anything and everything south of ABQ, including the Caverns, which I've never been to. I've been waiting for the 5 missing superchargers to open all over southern NM. A long wait, no end in sight.

I live in northern NM and have long wanted to take a trip in my S down south to see anything and everything south of ABQ, including the Caverns, which I've never been to. I've been waiting for the 5 missing superchargers to open all over southern NM. A long wait, no end in sight.

I've pinged the NPS about installing chargers at Guadeloupe AND the Caverns. It's absurd that there's nothing there yet. The NPS of all people should be leading the zero emission revolution...

I guess they need to hear from more people ;)

I've pinged the NPS about installing chargers at Guadeloupe AND the Caverns. It's absurd that there's nothing there yet. The NPS of all people should be leading the zero emission revolution...

I guess they need to hear from more people ;)
They are in some places. Took a trip to Zion last Fall and charged overnight at Zion Lodge. Saved me the stop in St George.