Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning trip to Edinburgh and Inverness from the South East

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

We are planning a trip to Edinburgh and then on to Inverness with our M3SR+. I still have some free supercharger miles so I am thinking of mainly charging at Superchargers in Scotland.
We will be doing several day trips from Inverness, as far as I can see there are Superchargers in Inverness and in Fort William.
I have seen people talk about ‘Charge Scotland’ (?). Are these rapid chargers or just your standard 7kw chargers? In Inverness we can trickle charge our car via the granny charger, so I would charge up to 80% at the Inverness Superchargers and then top up the rest over night at the AirBnB.
I am just trying to see what backup options I’ve got when we are running low on battery on a day trip and are too far away from the Superchargers.

My other question is about the route up to Scotland. ABRP suggests two routes, one along the east on the M1 stopping twice at Scotch Corner and Mansfield and the other one going along in the west on the M6 stopping 3 times (but similar overall time) at Hilton Park, Charnock, and Gretna Green.

Which route would you suggest and which are the best superchargers along the way. I’ve heard that you need to be careful with Scotch Corner as you can easily get a parking ticket, so I would like to avoid that one.

Any suggestions for day trips from Inverness?

Thanks

I've just done Kent to Aviemore, then trips to Fort William, Inverness etc.

I used superchargers up on the east using A1m, across the A66 then up to Glasgow. As soon as you hit Scotland you have the Charge Scotland, which are Type 2 (11kw in your SR), and CCS (50kwh). I done about 500 miles in Scotland and didn't go near a supercharger. Just tapped by debit card, but didn't get charged once.

I came back down west my and I wish I didn't. It was so much slower.

Attachments

• 20210807_142430.jpg
    20210807_142430.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: ParHunter
Hi

We are planning a trip to Edinburgh and then on to Inverness with our M3SR+. I still have some free supercharger miles so I am thinking of mainly charging at Superchargers in Scotland.
We will be doing several day trips from Inverness, as far as I can see there are Superchargers in Inverness and in Fort William.
I have seen people talk about ‘Charge Scotland’ (?). Are these rapid chargers or just your standard 7kw chargers? In Inverness we can trickle charge our car via the granny charger, so I would charge up to 80% at the Inverness Superchargers and then top up the rest over night at the AirBnB.
I am just trying to see what backup options I’ve got when we are running low on battery on a day trip and are too far away from the Superchargers.

My other question is about the route up to Scotland. ABRP suggests two routes, one along the east on the M1 stopping twice at Scotch Corner and Mansfield and the other one going along in the west on the M6 stopping 3 times (but similar overall time) at Hilton Park, Charnock, and Gretna Green.

Which route would you suggest and which are the best superchargers along the way. I’ve heard that you need to be careful with Scotch Corner as you can easily get a parking ticket, so I would like to avoid that one.

Any suggestions for day trips from Inverness?

Thanks
Hi,

The West Coast route is Motorway and so a faster and easier drive whereas the East Coast Route is an A Road but very scenic with a number of small towns like North Berwick which are worth a visit / lunch.

Chargeplace Scotland is certainly an option there are lots of 7KW and quite a few 50KW Chargers around and around 50% of them are still free. This is now managed by Swarco previously was managed by CYC you just need to Register and you can use their App and / or get an RFID Card as backup. I've used them almost exclusively for 2 years so they are fairly reliable.

There are also Superchargers in Edinburgh, Motherwell, Perth, Aberdeen and Aviemore and some newish V3 Superchargers near Bamburgh. Superchargers also tend not to be too busy north of the Border.

Enjoy your trip.

Initial day trip suggestion thoughts might be along the coast to visit some fishing villages… Buckie, Cullen, Portsoy etc. Visit a distillery for a tour. If you’re a soup fan visit the home of Baxter’s at Fochabers, excellent pancakes in the cafe. Down to Aviemore, walk round Loch Morlich, take a drive up to Cairngorm Mountain. Loch Ness monster spotting boat trip. Loch Garten nature reserve for possible Osprey spotting. Dunrobin Castle and Gardens.

It’s a great area, no shortage of stuff to discover.

I live near Aberdeen and frequently use the west coast route as we have relatives in Preston. I try to avoid Gretna if at all possible as it is normally very very busy. Abington is better if you can reach it possibly after a short top up at Tebay if necessary.
I had a look at Tebay, it looks like you can only get to the Superchargers on the way South.

Looks like you can get to it via a back route. Just a little detour but it would cut out one charger stop. I could now make it to Edinburgh with just two charge stops.

Can you actually get to the south bound side from the north bound side. There looks to be a road but I am not sure whether you are allowed to drive there.

Last edited:

You'll need to sign up in the app and set up a direct debit and apparently they're now using contactless payment now that the operator 'Swarco' has changed over. I'm heading that way in September and on to the NC500 which, after Fort William, is all CPS. If you want to get to Edinburgh quicker then i'd use the M6 and aim to be charging at Abington, then use the A702 to Edinburgh which is a nice road.

I have seen people talk about ‘Charge Scotland’ (?). Are these rapid chargers or just your standard 7kw chargers?

Here you go ... ChargePlace Scotland | Scotland's Public EV Charging Network

Rapids (CCS 50kW), AC at 22kW (11kW on Tesla) and at 7kW. Recently taken over and some necessary improvements are being made to improve maintenance ... present reliability is patchy. Use Zapmap to check out some feedback on particular individual chargers that you are considering using. Pricing is usually moderate (or still free in some council areas).

I had a look at Tebay, it looks like you can only get to the Superchargers on the way South.

Looks like you can get to it via a back route. Just a little detour but it would cut out one charger stop. I could now make it to Edinburgh with just two charge stops.

Can you actually get to the south bound side from the north bound side. There looks to be a road but I am not sure whether you are allowed to drive there.
You can access the SuperChargers from Northbound, specifically explained on Tebay's website.

My favourite Supercharger and can be accessed north and south. Excellent farm shop and food. The services wins awards. I should comment that the Tesla nav may well assume that you can't do the north south thing (unless the maps update has changed this) so you must ignore the directions.

At Tebay came off the northbound M6 at the services. Just through the main car park turn left between the shop and the petrol station(signed to the hotel and the superchargers). At top of road turn right, cross the bridge over the motorway and right again to get to the superchargers. Watch that the superchargers automatically knock you down to 80% as they claim to be busy (we’ve never seen it more than half full) so if you want more than this you have to change the charge level manually.

I spent a week up there earlier in the summer.

The Inverness supercharger is quiet but hard to get to - right in the middle of town. Better to take a
stop at Aviemore and head north fuller.

there’s a single 50kW CPS charger at the Inverness Caley Thistle stadium that was quiet (and free) and only one roundabout off the A9

also usefully positioned were Brodie Castle (CPS) and the destination charger at Gordon Castle Estate (the cost of the cafe was way more than a supercharger though…)

The Perth and Aviemore super chargers can be a bit tricky to find as the Tesla navigation can be vague for the last 100m or so.

For Perth my nav tells me the super chargers are on the right when you get into the service area, but that takes you to the Travelodge/MacDonald’s car park. The chargers are actually on the next left after the Esso station (also on the left) and well hidden from the main road. This is the park and ride car park and if you follow the road round to the right behind the bus station you enter a secondary car park which has both Tesla and ChargePlace Scotland chargers. There are 3 50kw CPS chargers and 6 22kw chargers which are free using the CPS app or rfid card.

For Aviemore, the Tesla Nav will take you to the main reception of the Macdonald Resort Hotel, but the chargers are again hidden from view. You’ll see an archway near reception and if you follow the road through this the chargers are on the right.

We had a week near Aviemore recently and did a day trip to Loch Ness/Castle Urquhart so that might be a good shout if your staying in Inverness.

Reactions: NewbieT

Yes you can. Drive through the parking area outside the restaurant. Turn left before the petrol station and follow the road out. Turn right, cross the motorway and turn right again, descend a steep slope and then turn left into the Tebay southbound car park. Chargers are on your left.

If you are set on the car nav for Tebay Supercharger when travelling north it will direct you off the motorway and round about the country roads to get over to the south side ... so anyone going north should ignore those directions and drive directly into the northbound Tebay services and then follow the signs (as per @Morhydro instructions). Don't forget to drive back over to continue your journey or you'll be heading back where you came from!

I would absolutely plan to avoid Gretna superchargers. It’s awful. I was going to charge there yesterday but it was so busy it was shown as ‘short wait’ nearly all day and wouldn’t even let you navigate there. Passing anyway and took a look. There are only 4, right next to the entrance to the services building. No way to sensibly queue and wait. Absolute chaos.

Won’t ever be calling into Gretna again.

I would absolutely plan to avoid Gretna superchargers. It’s awful. I was going to charge there yesterday but it was so busy it was shown as ‘short wait’ nearly all day and wouldn’t even let you navigate there. Passing anyway and took a look. There are only 4, right next to the entrance to the services building. No way to sensibly queue and wait. Absolute chaos.

Won’t ever be calling into Gretna again.

You've got Abington in the northerly direction and Tebay going south ... it's easy to avoid.