Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning trip to Edinburgh and Inverness from the South East

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Perth and Aviemore super chargers can be a bit tricky to find as the Tesla navigation can be vague for the last 100m or so.

For Perth my nav tells me the super chargers are on the right when you get into the service area, but that takes you to the Travelodge/MacDonald’s car park. The chargers are actually on the next left after the Esso station (also on the left) and well hidden from the main road. This is the park and ride car park and if you follow the road round to the right behind the bus station you enter a secondary car park which has both Tesla and ChargePlace Scotland chargers. There are 3 50kw CPS chargers and 6 22kw chargers which are free using the CPS app or rfid card.

For Aviemore, the Tesla Nav will take you to the main reception of the Macdonald Resort Hotel, but the chargers are again hidden from view. You’ll see an archway near reception and if you follow the road through this the chargers are on the right.

We had a week near Aviemore recently and did a day trip to Loch Ness/Castle Urquhart so that might be a good shout if your staying in Inverness.

Perth really needs the Sat Nav fixing or a note adding. Went upto a construction site and then into the services before finding the park and ride. Come on Tesla.

I’ve been planning my trip to Edinburg for tomorrow and I thought it might be useful to have a list of Superchargers on the route (M6) and how much battery Percentage (M3SR+) you need to get from one to the other: (so to get from Gatwick SC to Oxford SC you need about 40%, then on to Warwick you need another 23% etc).

Gatwick

Oxford 40%

Warwick 23%

Hilton Park 27%

Keele 16%

Charnock Richard 28%

Tebay 38%

Gretna Green 26%

Abington 39%

Edinburgh 18%

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I’ve been planning my trip to Edinburg for tomorrow and I thought it might be useful to have a list of Superchargers on the route (M6) and how much battery Percentage (M3SR+) you need to get from one to the other: (so to get from Gatwick SC to Oxford SC you need about 40%, then on to Warwick you need another 23% etc).

Gatwick

Oxford 40%

Warwick 23%

Hilton Park 27%

Keele 16%

Charnock Richard 28%

Tebay 38%

Gretna Green 26%

Abington 39%

Edinburgh 18%
Let us know how it goes? Did you get the percentages from ABRP?

Gatwick

Oxford 40%

Warwick 23%

Hilton Park 27%

Keele 16%

Charnock Richard 28%

Tebay 38%

Gretna Green 26%

Abington 39%

Edinburgh 18%

For anyone going up the A1, Washington to Edinburgh Service Centre SC is about 60%, I did that run before the Adderstone SC opened - I think that would make it a 25%/35% or maybe 20/40% split now. Long Range.

The trip up to Edinburgh was a doddle. At first Tessy (my car) didn’t let me go to the Hilton Park SC without a stop but after a while it was fine with it and we arrived with 16%. It is not a very inviting Service Station but plenty of empty chargers (early in the morning). It charged up to 83% in no time. The next leg was supposed to go to Tebay but it reckoned I would only get there with 4% so we did a quick top up at Charnock Richards. When we got to Tebay there were only 2 Teslas charging. Once we came back from the farm shop all 8 bays were taken. We would have made it to Edinburgh without a further charge but I wanted to arrive at Edinburgh with at least 50% so that I would have enough for the next leg later in the week. We skipped Gretna and headed to Abington. On the way to Abington I got overtaken by a white M3 and I thought ‘oh he is going to take my slot ;-)’. He was indeed heading for the SC but I got the last slot free. He tried Gretna first and there were 7 cars waiting!

So overall 0 minutes waiting and only about 10-15min more than we would have used anyway for breaks and that only because I wanted to get to Edinburgh with a decent load (no way to charge up where we are).

Anyway, if someone still says you can’t do a long trip in an electric car then they don’t know what they are talking about.
It was really relaxing drive. I used autopilot the whole way, I did have two phantom breaks but that wasn’t too bad.

A few tips if you haven’t done a long trip yet. The car will add charging stop if it thinks it will get there with less than 20% even if the car could make it. There is a small link ‘Removing charging stops’ in that case. You can then see whether you’ve got any chance of getting there. I could have chanced Tebay with 4% but the wife needed a toilet break anyway.
I’ve planned where I wanted to stop and then chose the SC stations as destinations rather than the final destination.