Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plantation, FL Supercharger Expansion [Now Operational]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20180612_191831.jpg
20180612_183155.jpg
20180612_180454.jpg
20180612_183159.jpg

20180612_180424.jpg

20180612_183155.jpg

FYI: Stall 2A has been non-functional for at least a week. It begins to charge and then stops within 30 seconds. I have experienced this twice and have seen one other vehicle also fail to successfully charge at that stall. One of the workers present today also confirmed they saw an owner have difficulty attempting to charge on 2A. I'll send this message to Tesla in case it hasn't already been called in...

Reactions: DaveK.
Video showed that the pedestals were in the blast zone. Charged there several times but fortunately not this week nor this morning.
Gas explosion at Florida shopping plaza causes multiple injuries

Addendum
Looks to be in the mall across the street from the chargers and that the trees somewhat shielded the charging area from the flying debris. Would have been pretty devastating to be sitting in your car though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Looks like at least one injury at the Supercharger:

Explosion at shopping center leaves up to 20 injured: 'Looks like an apocalypse'

This one might not be available today, @Chuq
If you are referring to Guillermo Villa, who was there during the explosion, it looks like he escaped uninjured.

According to the navigation display, the Supercharger Station has a temporary closure. People are reporting on social media that Tesla Customer Services is stating it will be open next week.

Larry

If you are referring to Guillermo Villa, who was there during the explosion, it looks like he escaped uninjured.

According to the navigation display, the Supercharger Station has a temporary closure. People are reporting on social media that Tesla Customer Services is stating it will be open next week.

Larry
There was a Model 3 parked in the lot very near the SC and the rumor is that a 3 driver was hurt. But the X belonging to Mr Villa appeared to be the only active charger.

Larry
While Tesla and we want it to reopen quickly, I think next week is highly unlikely due to economics. Many permits posted here show Supercharger stations cost $150,000. Tesla pays little to nothing monthly rent. The shopping center is worth many millions and the owner collects more in rent each month than the Supercharger station is worth. The owner and tenants want to rebuild as quickly as possible and any rebuilding will need substantial staging area. Is it possible they will leave not just the Supercharger area available, but also the driveways leading to it? Sure, but much more likely they will fence off the whole parking lot for reconstruction staging. I hope I'm wrong but that's the way most construction projects work.

While Tesla and we want it to reopen quickly, I think next week is highly unlikely due to economics. Many permits posted here show Supercharger stations cost $150,000. Tesla pays little to nothing monthly rent. The shopping center is worth many millions and the owner collects more in rent each month than the Supercharger station is worth. The owner and tenants want to rebuild as quickly as possible and any rebuilding will need substantial staging area. Is it possible they will leave not just the Supercharger area available, but also the driveways leading to it? Sure, but much more likely they will fence off the whole parking lot for reconstruction staging. I hope I'm wrong but that's the way most construction projects work.
The heavy damage is at a different mall from where the supercharger lot is. Unlikely that the buildings associated with the supercharger lot incurred much damage.