Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasma Gasification of Trash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheTalkingMule

Distributed Energy Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I've been a bit obsessed with plasma gasification for about 10 years. Never heard anyone give a valid reason it can't work at scale, I think it's just too expensive and tough to execute consistently.

These guys apparently already have a functioning plant in Israel and 10 ready to go across Europe.

Would be world changing if this technology is finally brought to scale and it's process perfected.

This company is taking a hydrogen production angle to get funding. Genius. The product itself is nearly profitable since is kicks out more electricity than it uses and can be placed in situations where there's high existing dumping fees. Now they have access to EU green bonds because they're positioning it as green hydrogen production.

Hope it works out. Anyone have knowledge of this industry?

No deep knowledge, although I'd heard of it in the 2000s.
Very much an "ideal" technology that's not been a commercial success as the theory has been hard to convert to practice.
Lots of projects abandoned. (See the commercialization link.)

Yeah, I know there were a couple in Canada years ago that met with mixed results. My guess is you need a certain uniformity of feedstock, which is hard to execute consistently in the real world.

Found this interesting, from the wiki page ...

The US Navy is employing Plasma Arc Waste Destruction System (PAWDS) on its latest generation Gerald R. Ford-class aircraft carrier. The compact system being used will treat all combustible solid waste generated on board the ship. After having completed factory acceptance testing in Montreal, the system is scheduled to be shipped to the Huntington Ingalls shipyard for installation on the carrier.[31]

Yeah, I know there were a couple in Canada years ago that met with mixed results. My guess is you need a certain uniformity of feedstock, which is hard to execute consistently in the real world.

Found this interesting, from the wiki page ...

Of course, aircraft carriers are military.

The fundamental problem with the current plasma systems is cost. There's also political opposition from environmentalists, who point out that the syngas needs to be purified before burning to avoid toxic emissions, and see it as a potential threat to the 5-Rs messaging.