Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasti Dip Aero Rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Midnight Blue SR+ for about 3 weeks now, i purchased it with the aero wheels and am not really liking the look. I think the aero wheel is too dark, even with the cap off. I personally like the contrast of the 19" sport wheels, has anyone dipped, or seen the aero rim's dipped in an aluminum color before, like the below? I am having a hard time visualizing in my head if it will provide the same contrast i like with 19" sport wheels, without actually having them.

Satin White Aluminum Wheel Kit

Thanks, I actually have seen that thread. He dipped his aero wheel cap though, I am referring to plasti dipping the actual underlying metal rim to bring it from a dark granite color to a brighter aluminum. I cannot seem to find any reference online to anyone actually doing it. I am going to try it this weekend, if it works out well I will post here.

There was a person who painted his aero wheel silver, I couldn't find the thread. Here's the next best approximation since the prototype aero wheels were silver Has anyone painted their 18" rims?
imfw91kmv9x01.jpg

I have had my Midnight Blue SR+ for about 3 weeks now, i purchased it with the aero wheels and am not really liking the look. I think the aero wheel is too dark, even with the cap off. I personally like the contrast of the 19" sport wheels, has anyone dipped, or seen the aero rim's dipped in an aluminum color before, like the below? I am having a hard time visualizing in my head if it will provide the same contrast i like with 19" sport wheels, without actually having them.

Satin White Aluminum Wheel Kit
Tesla tale: A man, his Model 3, his silver Aero Wheels, and serendipity

I like the look so far, once I get them all done and the center cap and lug nut caps I will know for sure. I have found Plasti Dip holds up very well and is almost an original finish if applied correctly.

Attachments

• 2A941E4D-E0DF-45F6-BC02-B32F63FE0973.jpeg
    2A941E4D-E0DF-45F6-BC02-B32F63FE0973.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Love
Reactions: fritzner and llluis
Plastidip is the way to go verses the super added cost of paint.
When I first got my motorcycle.it was a demo and I painted it black plastidip. Now I'm selling it 3years later and the paint and chrome is like brand new.
I might even paint my 3 gold plasti dip, just to make it different. If I don't like it, I'll just simply remove it.

Curious to know if putting the aero’s back on (for a long trip or something) would scratch the plastidip if you used enough coats? I was debating doing this exact mod as well but wasn’t sure I’d be able to use the Aeros anymore

I don't have a solid answer for you, but I'd be afraid to put the aero covers back on. I've heard PlastiDip is very durable, but I'm sure the metal clips would tear through the rubber coating.

Here are some pics of it finished, in case anyone else was wanting to do something similar. Looks a lot better in my opinion with lighter rims.

Looks fantastic! Curious how this has held up over time?
I have used PlastiDip on the body but never the wheels of the car. Mostly curious if you see less brake dust buildup vs an ICE car and if the PlasriDip is easier to clean.
I’m waiting to pickup my M3 and wanted to keep the Aero wheel covers on but haven’t settled on a color because I wasn’t sure how dirty it would get.

Looks fantastic! Curious how this has held up over time?
I have used PlastiDip on the body but never the wheels of the car. Mostly curious if you see less brake dust buildup vs an ICE car and if the PlasriDip is easier to clean.
I’m waiting to pickup my M3 and wanted to keep the Aero wheel covers on but haven’t settled on a color because I wasn’t sure how dirty it would get.

It holds up fine, and yes you see less brake dust compared to ICE vehicles. I do recommend putting turtle wax ice spray wax, makes it slick, works well with it, instead of dip coat which imo is way overpriced for the same thing.

Though I would wait for HyperDip if you want peelable color coating. Right now, they only have shadow black which I'm going to use for a chrome delete. It's far superior to plastidip in terms of durability, slickness, and smoothness. Plastidip can be unforgiving if the can is cold, prep steps aren't done correctly, etc.

It holds up fine, and yes you see less brake dust compared to ICE vehicles. I do recommend putting turtle wax ice spray wax, makes it slick, works well with it, instead of dip coat which imo is way overpriced for the same thing.

Though I would wait for HyperDip if you want peelable color coating. Right now, they only have shadow black which I'm going to use for a chrome delete. It's far superior to plastidip in terms of durability, slickness, and smoothness. Plastidip can be unforgiving if the can is cold, prep steps aren't done correctly, etc.

Thanks for the confirmation on lower brake dust than ICE. I’d also imagine since it’s a wheel cover it would be even less than a standard rim (it’s all contained).

I’ve used PlastiDip for years and had no problem. Spending the little extra time on prep, dry time between coats and yes ensuring a warm can, makes it very smooth IMHO. I’m sure HyperDip is better but I’ve got a few leftover cans of standard PlastiDip so I’ll start off with that. It’s so cheap why not change it up when newer options are available!