Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Plasti-dip' Gemini Wheel cover before and after

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20220703_163950.jpg

20220713_125941.jpg
20220713_125808.jpg
20220713_082851.jpg

Sharing my experience of DIY plasti-dipping the Gemini wheels on Tesla model Y----

I bought two bottles of plasti-dip($23/bottle from Canadian tire)
Used the entire first bottle and half of the second bottle.
I applied 5 layers of plastic dip on each wheel cover. Plasti-dipping took me 4 hours.(20-30min of wait time between the layers)
Used electrical tape($7 from Canadian tire) to cover the silver edge of the rims.

Cost ★
Labor ★★★★
Satisfaction ★★★★★

Let me know if you have any questions.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve used plasti-dip on a lot of things, emblems to front grills on my previous Audis. But, using plasti-dip and electrical tape to black out rims on a $70k car is cheap, surprised you didn’t just use a pack of sharpies. If you don’t want to spring for black wheels, just pick up a set of Rimetrix Laminars and be done with it.

Looks good. Why not just get a couple rattle cans of matte black spray paint?

Can the Plasti-Dip be pealed off later to return the hubcaps back to stock look? Or is Plasti-Dip more or less permanent once applied.

Thanks for the photos! I think they turned out pretty well. I’ve never used Plasti Dip because of some of the flakey results I’ve seen in the past. Not sure if that’s caused by time or not applying enough coats.

I went the stupidly expensive route of buying a set of takeoff Überturbines. Yours is probably the smarter way.