Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasti dip my wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went with an anthracite grey with a glossifier finish on my wheels, here are some before and after. BTW these are the 19's cyclone

20150320_160310.jpg
20150328_070849.jpg
20150327_170546.jpg
20150328_070428.jpg

Here are some with different lighting condition
20150327_194246.jpg
20150328_071013.jpg
20150328_071049.jpg

I am planning on blacking out the chrome. Not sure if I should use black or this same grey

Reactions: Tesseract
Looks great. Can you talk about the process / how much time it took? Thanks.

You start by cleaning the wheels, which is the hard part. You want to make sure there is no water or dirt left. After that, you take some bags and cover up the brake system behind the wheel. Put about 5 coats of the grey, and 3 coats of the glossifier. The 5 coats are just for coverage (making sure I got every corner), not for layering on the dip. Took 2 cans of the grey, and 1 can of the glossifier, for the 4 wheels. Total time I would say 3 hours, and most of those time is waiting for the dip to dry so you can put on the next coat.

Whole car experiment started this past Fall on interim non-Tesla cars—PlastiDip vs C-Quartz Finest. So far excellent durability. Comes clean in a touchless car wash (Tesla paint job would not see the inside of a car wash) but PD matte finish does not wipe clean like the CQF. PD protects better against door dings or that car gets better parking spots.

They really do look great.

Any idea on how durable this product is with this kind of use ?

They hold up very well. Seen the stuff run through some car washes and no peeling.

- - - Updated - - -

That really looks incredible, kudos to you. If you have pics on how you masked off your wheels that would be awesome.

Only thing that needs masking is some plastic bag over the brake system. You can spray the tire with it. The dip "cuts" (peel) off where the tire and rim meets.

594C1B80-2D4C-4FF9-94E1-C83D4F9A0C49.jpeg

Anthracite grey without glossifier.

244BAE7C-BFD6-44C5-8870-B9017BE7EA95.jpeg

Flat black with pearlizer. I did flat black on the rims and tires and then masked off tires with note cards and pearlized just the rims. If I do any more plastidipping this is how I’ll do it again. The flat black is still on the tires and it’s been at least six months.

Flat Black

I did mine as well, however I also did the barrels of the wheels. one can per wheel.

View attachment 76374View attachment 76375
I definitely think you should pearlize these. I sprayed mine removed from the car and lying down with the lug nuts and covers sitting in the lug nut holes. My first few wheels I sprayed the lug nut covers separately and masked off the inside of the holes so the mating surfaces of the lug nuts and wheels didn’t have plastidip on them. I don’t think it would matter, but I was just erring on the paranoid side. What a waste of time that was.

For me, the problem was never the plasti dip... I'd wreck a set of tires on my S85 in <15,000 miles and have to redo the rip every tire change....

The dip on my Tahoe's wheels lasted at least 4-6 years and 45-50,000 miles on those tires. I only removed it so I could redo it when putting new tires on.

if you do it right, it lasts a long time. It does fade though. but at $5/wheel you can always redo them... Can't wait to get some plasti dip on the cyber truck lol. think of all the fun colors!

I’m so glad you posted this thread. I considered doing one. just did my wheels this last week. I’m so impressed with this product and the ease at which this went on.
I had researched powder coat as well as new wheels and I figured for $30 bucks what have I got to lose. turned out superb IMO.
I used “graphite” color without the glossifier but am considering it. BTW I actually used the Rustoleum version of this NOT Plasti-dip name.

A56DAE1D-83FF-42B6-A2FA-3F7E1C94E44D.jpeg FE86C240-220A-49B6-A13E-EB8652C48757.jpeg