Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

plasti dip on dash wood panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i don't know, that's why i asked. i'm new to this whole plasti dip thing.

if it's not possible, it's not possible and that's fine...but i didn't see a way to find that out without asking.
I am curious and thinking of trying also. Couldn't find threads mentioning this tho but considering giving it a shot since it seems as they say only the thick ugly(available so far) wraps will hide the wood grain. Very poor choice on Tesla's part btw don't know wth they were thinking with the wood grain dash so out of place in this technological marvel of a car.

I am curious and thinking of trying also. Couldn't find threads mentioning this tho but considering giving it a shot since it seems as they say only the thick ugly(available so far) wraps will hide the wood grain. Very poor choice on Tesla's part btw don't know wth they were thinking with the wood grain dash so out of place in this technological marvel of a car.
There is a someone selling 3M Di-Noc architectural wraps, and they cover the woodgrain very well and not ugly. Black Matrix is killer

There is a someone selling 3M Di-Noc architectural wraps, and they cover the woodgrain very well and not ugly. Black Matrix is killer

I know the wraps are out there, but I am not looking forward to trying to wrap that piece and have it look even halfway decent. I was able to do the console, but I'm not looking forward to even attempting the wood trim...

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Hmmm... interesting. I'm getting my 3 this week, and have already arranged for Autoflex next week, due to my being less than excited about the Silver Metallic vs. the drop dead gorgeous silver at the Model 3 reveal. Here's the thread I found when trying to decide what to do:

Paint Protection - Got my car Autoflex'ed with the concept silver during the reveal + Aero colorede

Now, how easy is it to take the wood trim off and after spraying it, put it back on again? Now I'm thinking that the matte silver might look pretty good. Hmmmm... more decisions...

Hmmm... interesting. I'm getting my 3 this week, and have already arranged for Autoflex next week, due to my being less than excited about the Silver Metallic vs. the drop dead gorgeous silver at the Model 3 reveal. Here's the thread I found when trying to decide what to do:

Paint Protection - Got my car Autoflex'ed with the concept silver during the reveal + Aero colorede

Now, how easy is it to take the wood trim off and after spraying it, put it back on again? Now I'm thinking that the matte silver might look pretty good. Hmmmm... more decisions...

based on the videos and write-ups i've watched, it seems getting it off is somewhat easy and putting it back on is a little more difficult.

i'll try to find them and link to them here.

edit: here's the youtube video i saw...

Yah I've been looking at Di-Noc all the wrap shops I talk to don't use it they say it doesn't apply well and my only options are the textured 1080 series like the black matrix but after more research I see that Di-Noc is the material used on all my favorite phone skins and certain Di-Noc finishes hold up much better/longer and are much more scratch resistant than their 1080 counterparts. The antibacterial color series is my fav for phone wraps, matte texture and very difficult to scratch unlike matte 1080.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Yah I've been looking at Di-Noc all the wrap shops I talk to don't use it they say it doesn't apply well and my only options are the textured 1080 series like the black matrix but after more research I see that Di-Noc is the material used on all my favorite phone skins and certain Di-Noc finishes hold up much better/longer and are much more scratch resistant than their 1080 counterparts. The antibacterial color series is my fav for phone wraps, matte texture and very difficult to scratch unlike matte 1080.
Mine all have gone on perfectly, but I cut my own stuff.

Mine all have gone on perfectly, but I cut my own stuff.
Yah I think since they are thicker/stiffer wrap shops just don't like to work with the material but from my phone wrapping experience better quality. Have you tried any non-textured Di-Noc skins on the dash? Want to wrap mine white like the performance series but don't want carbon fiber white or the wood grain to show thru.

Yah I think since they are thicker/stiffer wrap shops just don't like to work with the material but from my phone wrapping experience better quality. Have you tried any non-textured Di-Noc skins on the dash? Want to wrap mine white like the performance series but don't want carbon fiber white or the wood grain to show thru.

FYI - I have my wood dash wrapped in White Carbon Fiber. I also just wanted plain white but any vinyl material without texture, the wood grains will eventually show through the material (From what my installer told me) but I love my white carbon fiber dash!

See thread: White Carbon Fiber Wood Trim Dash Wrap

FYI - I have my wood dash wrapped in White Carbon Fiber. I also just wanted plain white but any vinyl material without texture, the wood grains will eventually show through the material (From what my installer told me) but I love my white carbon fiber dash!

See thread: White Carbon Fiber Wood Trim Dash Wrap
Thats what they say but knowone has actually tried the Di-Noc 3M thicker skins I might have to be the first. Shops just have the 1080 and carbon fiber Din-Noc. If it doesn't work out will prob have to settle for the white carbon fiber too.

If you’re going to try plasti-dipping your dash, try a different wood surface first to see if/how easily it comes off before experimenting on your dash.

I wenr the plasti-dip route for my chrome delete and it’s not hard to use, but it’s easy to get wrong too. With the dash being so prominent in the car, you may need to do it a few times before it all looks smooth and even. I wonder about it’s durability too. My chrome delete didn’t hold up as well as I’d hoped, and it’s not the easiest thing to fix without proper time/product when things do go wrong.

I actually got a second dash about a month ago and finally started staining it today. The veneer is really thin though, so it might take some time to get it totally black. It looks great before wiping the stain off though!

Attachments

• BCE6B815-7AC1-44A7-B8BD-202AC16B0B8F.jpeg
    BCE6B815-7AC1-44A7-B8BD-202AC16B0B8F.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 270
Thats what they say but knowone has actually tried the Di-Noc 3M thicker skins I might have to be the first. Shops just have the 1080 and carbon fiber Din-Noc. If it doesn't work out will prob have to settle for the white carbon fiber too.

I think shops know that the thicker Di-Noc 3M material won't stick to the wood as the 1080 version. But that's just my guess. Maybe you can try and report back!

I think shops know that the thicker Di-Noc 3M material won't stick to the wood as the 1080 version. But that's just my guess. Maybe you can try and report back!
Yah its harder material to work with but higher quality and more durable and the antibacterial matte color series is 100x more scratch resistant than the 1080 matte series also they use Di-Noc Carbon fiber wraps sometimes so its definitely possible. I've wrapped phones for years with it with much more curves than a dash.