Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plasti dipped 19” sport wheels for $40...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ll see how long it lasts, but overall am very impressed with this stuff (first time using plasti dip). Would highly recommend to anyone considering powder coating... so far this is saving me around $450 and is easily removable when the time comes.

Went with anthracite grey and just a little glossifier so it’s still a metallic matte finish.

Attachments

• 7640C1DA-9298-4869-935B-4EB856CF4159.jpeg
    7640C1DA-9298-4869-935B-4EB856CF4159.jpeg
    770.5 KB · Views: 1,898
  • CD067B11-0657-467B-855B-7B3788CB5A07.jpeg
    CD067B11-0657-467B-855B-7B3788CB5A07.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 528
Looks great!

Did you need to remove the wheels to do it?

Nah just masked the rotors and calipers with garbage bags. Overall very easy DIY project. Cleaning the wheels and prepping/masking took the most amount of time.
From there, it’s basically 3 minutes of spraying a light coat followed by 15-25 minutes waiting to dry. Repeat for about 4-6 coats and you’re done.

I even messed up (oversprayed) once and was able to easily remove/peel the plasti dip off the wheel and start over in a matter of minutes.

Nah just masked the rotors and calipers with garbage bags. Overall very easy DIY project. Cleaning the wheels and prepping/masking took the most amount of time.
From there, it’s basically 3 minutes of spraying a light coat followed by 15-25 minutes waiting to dry. Repeat for about 4-6 coats and you’re done.

I even messed up (oversprayed) once and was able to easily remove/peel the plasti dip off the wheel and start over in a matter of minutes.
Were you able to get even coverage on the inside barrel with the garbage bag covering brake rotors? I feel like it’s difficult to cover with the wheel still on but I don’t have a jack or garage to really take the wheels off

Were you able to get even coverage on the inside barrel with the garbage bag covering brake rotors? I feel like it’s difficult to cover with the wheel still on but I don’t have a jack or garage to really take the wheels off

No one sees the inside barrel (see my closeup pic)
But yeah if you want to dip the inside barrel, you’d have to take the wheels off.

almost all tutorials I saw and watched did not do that though.