TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plasti Dipped my wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SabrToothSqrl, Mar 23, 2015.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I seem to like black...

IMG_1648.JPG IMG_1665.JPG IMG_1668.JPG

When I go to trade it in, I just peel it off :)

Man-o-day, how do I make the pics not jumbo? I just took these w/my iphone...

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Black on black on black. Nice look! I'm going for gray on gray (and maybe on gray). The plasti-dip will probably also help with potential rash, chips, and salt on the roads in PA! It's a good look. Any thoughts on blacking out some of the chrome trim?

3. SabrToothSqrl

Thank you, I plan to do most of the car matte black as soon as it's warm enough. But yes, the hope is to protect the car and wheels for trade-in value. (and I think it looks pretty evil) :)

PA road salt is AWFUL to everything...

4. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

:eek:

I wants one. Time to do the chrome trim next!

5. ohaq

ohaq Model S #P9,326

I did the same thing, I like he the caps silver with black tesla logo. You can use a toothpick while the dip is wet around the T and peel the rest off. There is someone selling stickers as well that would work even better.

6. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

OP, if u want any advice on how to tape up the areas or spray the dip. let me know. Or if u want to see pics of my project. I dipped all my chrome trim matte black then put on a couple coats of glossifier. My trim now has a satin finish.

7. Frank Mucus

Frank Mucus Member

It's a secret society, all we axe is trust.
    Did you take the tires off? Looks like a really clean job.

8. mackgoo

mackgoo Member

Are there some pictures on the net?

9. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    Nice. I was planning to do the same on my wheels.

How many cans did you use and how many coats?

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Very, very nice!

11. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Yuck! Were you a Goth, once?

Perhaps you could redeem yourself with blood-red calliper covers...

I'm probably missing the drift, here... MW

12. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

Scattered around somewhere yes, but I have a ton I haven't posted.

13. SabrToothSqrl

Yes, I took the wheels off, which was a royal PITA since I only have one floor jack, I had to do one at a time. (as you can't just toss a jack anywhere under the S)
    Also since it was 40 out in PA I had to use a space heater and my shop while keeping the cans warm in the house.

I used one can per wheel. The more coats, the better it peels off, and the more durable it is. Trust me, you don't want to peel off 2 coats... it's a PAIN.
    I also did the 'barrels' of the wheels, so they are black all the way in.

No, I was never goth, I just like black cars, and when I'm done, you just peel it off like a sunburn.

Yes, I will need all the tips I can get when I do the whole car. I'm most likely going to leave the door handles alone, as I don't want to gum up the works on them, and the dip would rub off eventually anyway from using them.
    I just saw some of the new metallic ones on the dip your car website, that looks pretty cool.

Thanks! I like the way it looks 'evil'... some people don't... and that's fine to, that's why I used dip, it peels off :)
    Tesla sells black plastic covers for the lugs... but I also think I like the military look of the lugs against the black wheels.
    I may do the wife's old car with yellow wheels... to match our yellow jet skis

14. llavalle

llavalle Member

Yep, that's the reason I asked. So 1 can per wheel gives you how many coats?

15. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I left the inside bit of the door handles chrome. I love the slick feeling. I used a little trick to make the line where the dip meets the chrome flush so u can't see it from above and u won't feel it when opening the door. I first sprayed the door handles with the handles flush. Let me say, it looked goofy when they extended. Expecially at car shows when the door handle are always extended. Later I redid my door handles but I sprayed them with them extended so as to get the entire chrome surface. If u precisely tape it up, u shouldn't have to worry about gummy up the works. You'll see soon. Just let me know when u want to see the pics. I'll probably create a folder on dropbox and upload all pics to that.

16. SabrToothSqrl

About 4-5, I was going pretty thick at the end w/it.

17. mackgoo

mackgoo Member

So let's see a few.

18. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

#18 FLDarren, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    IMG_3810.JPG IMG_3812.JPG IMG_4149.JPG Someone dared me to do that frame. So don't hate. :cool: It wasn't on there long. A few days. I can't wait to get a hold of the lighted appliqué, imagine what that'll look like. FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_3794.JPG IMG_3793.JPG IMG_3823.JPG IMG_3826.JPG IMG_4088.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  19. llavalle

llavalle Member

Great. Thanks!