Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic ABS center console with fiber pattern vs Real Carbon Fiber

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
"Real" CF is not particularly attractive, especially when its in a cliche' application (not for weight or structural purposes).
Plastic molded/imprinted with a fiber pattern is worst, because it's pretending to be something that wasn't aesthetic in the first place.
If the goal is just to get away from the factory shiny gloss fingerprint magnet, get a wrap in whatever pattern you like.

"Real" CF is not particularly attractive, especially when its in a cliche' application (not for weight or structural purposes).
Plastic molded/imprinted with a fiber pattern is worst, because it's pretending to be something that wasn't aesthetic in the first place.
If the goal is just to get away from the factory shiny gloss fingerprint magnet, get a wrap in whatever pattern you like.

Thanks for sharing your “opinion”. Seems like most disagree since real carbon fiber is very popular on performance vehicles and the cost is usually quite high.

Thanks for sharing your “opinion”. Seems like most disagree since real carbon fiber is very popular on performance vehicles and the cost is usually quite high.
Shiny piano black finishing is also very popular on expensive cars. Doesn't make it a particularly good application.

In 10 years, CF will look like a bad pastiche, reminiscent of all the fake wood finishing popular in the 1990s.

Note that "real" vs fake carbon fiber doesn't matter, because there's no functional purpose to the surface finishing of a console cover being in CF vs something else. The intent, obviously, is to the imitate the effect of a real performance vehicle that was actually constructed in carbon (i.e. carbon tub), and having that structure exposed.

If we're talking about popularity, considering how many vehicles there are without CF it seems most disagree with you.
People associate CF with high performance vehicles, so a lot of people want CF because of what it reminds them of or because it stands out, not because they find it aesthetically pleasing.

In essence, do what @holmgang said: "get a wrap in whatever pattern you like".

Any pictures installed on your car?

20191219_225914.jpg

I had the imprinted ABS carbon fiber inside my car but phased it out with real carbon fiber. Nothing like having the real thing. I feel if you own a nice car like a Tesla you would want the real stuff to compliment it. I purchased my trim pieces from RPM Tesla. They have everything you could possibly need for interior or exterior in glossy or matte.

I had the imprinted ABS carbon fiber inside my car but phased it out with real carbon fiber. Nothing like having the real thing. I feel if you own a nice car like a Tesla you would want the real stuff to compliment it. I purchased my trim pieces from RPM Tesla. They have everything you could possibly need for interior or exterior in glossy or matte.
Like real leather?

If we're talking about popularity, considering how many vehicles there are without CF it seems most disagree with you.
People associate CF with high performance vehicles, so a lot of people want CF because of what it reminds them of or because it stands out, not because they find it aesthetically pleasing.

In essence, do what @holmgang said: "get a wrap in whatever pattern you like".

Most cars don’t have real carbon fiber because it costs significantly more than normal plastic. Most people wouldn’t pay the premium. Or have a car that justifies it. Everyone that has seen the carbon fiber dash compared to the wood one said carbon looks significantly better. I would say the carbon blends in better than the light wood so not sure what your point is.

Shiny piano black finishing is also very popular on expensive cars. Doesn't make it a particularly good application.

In 10 years, CF will look like a bad pastiche, reminiscent of all the fake wood finishing popular in the 1990s.

Note that "real" vs fake carbon fiber doesn't matter, because there's no functional purpose to the surface finishing of a console cover being in CF vs something else. The intent, obviously, is to the imitate the effect of a real performance vehicle that was actually constructed in carbon (i.e. carbon tub), and having that structure exposed.

the term no **** Sherlock comes to mind. Not trying to be rude, but I’m not getting your point at all.

I won’t own this carbon 10 years so I could care less what happens with the carbon. Based on Tesla build quality I’m not sure this car will be on the road in 10 years.

adding carbon fiber to the dash or other panels is not supposed to be functional and nobody has ever even thought that. Nobody has ever intended to make it look like the structure is made from it. You are living in some alternate reality.

CF was originally used in automotive applications to replace structural components with something lighter/stronger. Some people have the opinion that the only time you should use CF is when you are actually replacing something (not adding CF on top of something already there) and/or has some performance enhancement function. Most people won't deny that CF on it's own looks great and as such it's morphed into a very popular aesthetic modification. If what someone wants is that look, obviously the real CF looks better but is super spendy. The question of whether to use, not use, and where to use, is solely up to what an individual prefers and no person's opinion is more relevant than anyone else's. Do what makes you happy and ignore what people think.

On a personal note, the only thing on my car that's CF is my rear spoiler and I chose to paint over it in body-color. Paint shop thought I was nuts.:)

Most cars don’t have real carbon fiber because it costs significantly more than normal plastic. Most people wouldn’t pay the premium. Or have a car that justifies it. Everyone that has seen the carbon fiber dash compared to the wood one said carbon looks significantly better. I would say the carbon blends in better than the light wood so not sure what your point is.
I just asked 4 people at the same table as me, all of them would prefer the wood dash. They also agreed that CF looks tacky. So I guess that's everyone - 5 (including me).
But to put it in as clear text as I possibly can for you:
Do whatever you prefer

Reactions: holmgang