Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic Accelerator Pedal of Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I've been driving a Tesla, I noticed something "odd" feeling about the accelerator pedal.

I couldn't quite put my finger on it..

Was it the location, the height, way it's located close to the carpet side wall?

The other day, I reached down and "touched" the accelelerator pedal, and realized it's made of light plastic.

Not only is the accelartor pedal made of the plastic, but so is the arm that attatches it to the main vehicle.

And there is no rubber coating on the surface of the pedal...

Unlike the break pedal that's made of metal and has a nice rubber coating on the surface.

PLEASE TESLA, MAKE YOUR PEDALS OUT OF METAL AND COVER THEM W/ NON-SLIP RUBBER.

Tesla Accelerator Pedal Plastic.jpg

** Leads me to a question... does anyone know how to keep the lights on down here...and leave them on?

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Since I've been driving a Tesla, I noticed something "odd" feeling about the accelerator pedal.

I couldn't quite put my finger on it..

Was it the location, the height, way it's located close to the carpet side wall?

The other day, I reached down and "touched" the accelelerator pedal, and realized it's made of light plastic.

Not only is the accelartor pedal made of the plastic, but so is the arm that attatches it to the main vehicle.

And there is no rubber coating on the surface of the pedal...

Unlike the break pedal that's made of metal and has a nice rubber coating on the surface.

PLEASE TESLA, MAKE YOUR PEDALS OUT OF METAL AND COVER THEM W/ NON-SLIP RUBBER.

View attachment 219114

** Leads me to a question... does anyone know how to keep the lights on down here...and leave them on?
My accelerator has a nice silver cover with rubber non slip strips

I'll happily sell it to you

Not a structural engineer but I would bet some plastics are nearly as strong as steel. Worst case scenario: accelerator pedal fails and you slow down; brake pedal fails and you don't (at least not as quickly as you may need to).
I don't put that much pressure/stress on accelerator so I don't worry too much about it. Seems like a non issue. As someone said: lightweight is good. If you plan to mash a lot upgrade to a P model.:)

YMMV but in the over one year I've owned the car never once have I hit the pedal and thought, "this feels cheap"...

Jeff

I respect your opinion... but I felt just the opposite, after a few days of driving it...

It just felt "odd" to me...

That's just me....

I think the fact that it's "slippery" and doesn't have a non-slip rubber coating/cover is what's more obviously detrimental in the experience.

The fact that it's "plastic" was just a "WTF .. this is made cheaply" ... moment and observation....

ICE cars have a linkage or cable running to a lever on the engine. It needs to be strong.

EVs have a switch. Nothing much mechanical going on there.

(yeah, it's a pot, but still)

Yup, exactly. My last five cars have either been ICE cars with DBW (drive by wire) throttles, or EVs:
2002 Corvette Z06
2008 Subaru WRX STI
2013 Nissan LEAF SL
2010 Tesla Roadster
2013 Nissan LEAF SL #2

The Model S accelerator pedal feels pretty much identical to any of these.