TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Plastic protective film

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by Sandiegodoug, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

My new 100x is coming and my neighbor, a p85d owner suggested to get the film installed.
    Wonder how many x owners installed
    Does tesla offer to install
    I really like the looks of the front end and don't want it chipped up.

2. Sluggah

Sluggah Active Member

Get it on the lower part of the falcon doors.

• Like x 1
  3. rainforest

rainforest Member

I just did the front/rear bumpers and hood. You can do the whole car, but it's quite expensive.

4. Mike M

Mike M Member

I did the front clip (hood, bumper, fenders, headlights, foglights) and rear bumper. Happy I did but as @rainforest said, even a smaller install like this isn't necessarily cheap. We plan on keeping our X for quite some time so it made sense for us to do it.

• Like x 1
  5. commasign

commasign Active Member

Full Xpel wrap, no regrets.

• Like x 4
  6. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Actually the entire FWD might be necessary, I have thousands road wash chips halfway up the door.

• Informative x 1
  7. STEK HOWARD

STEK HOWARD Vendor

Be sure to check out STEK DYNOshield if you are looking for a premium paint protection film for your new X. DYNOshield is not only self healing, but it's also infused with a high tech nano coating making it the easiest to clean and maintain film on the market. Here is a video showing a installation on a Model S.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. Electric1

Electric1 Member

Full wrap on my X after many chips on my S and prior cars. No regrets. Expensive, yes. But cheaper than paint. Just one scratch from a kid with a backpack at an earthday event did 3K worth of damage to the S

9. Mike M

Mike M Member

BTW... Love the Llumar Platinum film on our X. There is also significant piece of mind driving in traffic and being able to worry less about rocks and road debris. Now if only I felt the same way about the windshield.... o_O

10. Ryshaw

Ryshaw Member

Hey guys, I just posted on another thread about this too, but I think that Yelp is a great tool for dialing in on local costs on this sort of application. I used Yelp's Request a Quote feature, and was able to blanket several high rated vendors here in AZ. Costs ranged from $2000, all the way up to $7k, so I highly recommend shopping around. In short, I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but feel like I have a lot more leverage now as I get the MX in a couple weeks, and start getting serious about add one. Hope this helps...

11. Fresh Start Detail

If you decide to have PPF installed, do not cheap out, go with Xpel or something equivalent. All PPF will make your car look to have that wavy orange-peel effect, and also won't shine as much properly cared for factory paint, but the cheaper films will be even worse and can be more difficult to remove (which will cost you more down the road). People don't think about the long term costs of PPF, removal and repair being the biggies.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. Mike M

Mike M Member

I don't notice a wavy orange-peel effect at all with the Llumar Platinum film on my X. In fact the Llumar coated with Crystal Serum is much more shiny than my original, polished paint (and the same as my unwrapped, but Crystal Serum treated, doors and rear fenders) so I have to disagree.

13. Fresh Start Detail

Mike I'd love to see your Model X! It's refreshing to hear of someone who isn't disappointed with the finish of their PPF compared to a properly paint-corrected finish.

14. Mike M

Mike M Member

I think one of the reasons it may have turned out well is my detailer, Colorado Detail, paint corrects the finish before applying any film.

coloradodetail.com

Some pics: 18156565_1140939756017628_1584411771618462072_o.jpg 18156018_1140939746017629_9093207986061718689_o.jpg 17973863_1140939909350946_2090464444517984520_o.jpg

15. Fresh Start Detail

"I think one of the reasons it may have turned out well is my detailer, Colorado Detail, paint corrects the finish before applying any film."

Absolutely the way to go!
    To clarify what you're saying though is that side-by-side your PPF is shinier than the paint corrected area?

• Like x 1
  16. Mike M

Mike M Member

I was saying there is no difference in shine level between the areas covered with wrap and uncovered. For example my detailer paint corrected the entire car first. Then applied film to the front clip, rear bumper and a couple of other small areas. Then when this was complete went over the entire car, including the film, with Gtechniq Crystal Serum. Thus the shine and slickness is pretty much the same across the entire car. I honestly can't tell the hood is wrapped.

17. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Same with ClearGuard Nano SR, in side by side comparisons is it much more clear and untextured than other wraps including XPEL.

• Like x 1
  18. Mike M

Mike M Member

Exactly. A lot of people in the industry talk 3M and XPEL because they are the most well known, but there are other, improved films out there.

• Like x 1
  19. Tim@adonisdetail

[email protected] Local Vendor - SoCal

A high quality film with a high quality installation will not result in a wavy or "plastic" look.

Here is an example, OP we are in North County SD, your welcome to stop by and preview some work in person to get a better sense for what options will work for you!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1