Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic vibration noise inside coming from dash area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to have a very small but persistent rattle right where the tray for the iPhone is....it happens whenever the road is even slightly rough. I'm a little unclear if it's the pad itself or the plastic assembly underneath, but something is just slightly going up and down and making a buzzing sound. If I put my finger on the pad while driving it goes away.

I've tried some double sided tape between the pad and the plastic, as well as a 500g hexagonal weight that just sits where the passenger phone is (to apply some pressure constantly). Both seem to help somewhat but not 100%....anyone have any thoughts?

I seem to have a very small but persistent rattle right where the tray for the iPhone is....it happens whenever the road is even slightly rough. I'm a little unclear if it's the pad itself or the plastic assembly underneath, but something is just slightly going up and down and making a buzzing sound. If I put my finger on the pad while driving it goes away.

I've tried some double sided tape between the pad and the plastic, as well as a 500g hexagonal weight that just sits where the passenger phone is (to apply some pressure constantly). Both seem to help somewhat but not 100%....anyone have any thoughts?

I had a similar plastic buzzing coming from the arm rest. My Sc just put some felt tape where the actual latch meets the console. When it was closed, the tolerance was just loose enough that the latch would vibrate against the console. I would try placing some tape where any plastic meets plastic.

Reactions: Big-T
@novox77 thanks for your post, I believe my rattle may actually be coming from the grill area and not the dash even though my driver side of the dash seems a bit loose when tapping/banging on it.

While I could hear the rattling while driving, I placed my hand on the grill and it stopped. Tapping on the speaker grill makes the exact vibration noise I've been hearing while driving.

I went to the dealer the second time and they fixed it. Unfortunately i cant tell you exactly what they did. they took apart the dash, and stuffed more insulation in there. I dont believe thats what fixed it. What probably fixed it was them putting the dash back together properly. It took away 95% of the noise. There is still a small rattle under very bumpy conditions. But all cars have small rattles, especially after a year. I’m satisfied. Its made the car much more enjoyable to drive. Now i dont have to have the radio on

I'm getting a little concerned about the number of rattles I'm experiencing because I'm already at 30K miles and my bumper to bumper (which technically doesn't have to cover rattles, I know) is coming up as quick as the rattles are appearing! I've had nothing functionally wrong with the car which would allow me to have them address the noises when it's in the SC for something more significant. I am sensitive to rattles and they will drive me crazy. I'm personally having some trouble isolating the noises I hear, but I've got one in the driver seatbelt and a couple in the dash. They are the hardest type to diagnose because they are intermittent (probably due to temperature)

I went to the dealer the second time and they fixed it. Unfortunately i cant tell you exactly what they did. they took apart the dash, and stuffed more insulation in there. I dont believe thats what fixed it. What probably fixed it was them putting the dash back together properly. It took away 95% of the noise. There is still a small rattle under very bumpy conditions. But all cars have small rattles, especially after a year. I’m satisfied. Its made the car much more enjoyable to drive. Now i dont have to have the radio on

All my cars issues all seem to stem from poor assembly due to it being a rushed quarter.

I'm getting a little concerned about the number of rattles I'm experiencing because I'm already at 30K miles and my bumper to bumper (which technically doesn't have to cover rattles, I know) is coming up as quick as the rattles are appearing! I've had nothing functionally wrong with the car which would allow me to have them address the noises when it's in the SC for something more significant. I am sensitive to rattles and they will drive me crazy. I'm personally having some trouble isolating the noises I hear, but I've got one in the driver seatbelt and a couple in the dash. They are the hardest type to diagnose because they are intermittent (probably due to temperature)

My dash rattles seem to be from the speaker grill below the windshield and after it warms up from the sun. It's apparently really difficult to install once taken apart, so the installers on the line probably couldn't be bothered to do it right.

I am right there with you all, I expected at least a basic level of competency when it comes to building and assembling cars, and after a year I am absolutely done with the car. It’s getting traded in for a Lexus GSF, a brand I drove for 15 years prior to going with Tesla with zero rattles, zero vibration, zero issues overall. The unwillingness from service to cover rattles and poor assembly and the worsening condition of the car at a mere 10,000 miles led me to this, and while I am excited to be done with the issues and repeated service visits, I can’t help but feel disappointed in wanting Tesla to “win” and be able to fix their issues. If the model Y and future cars have this many issues, I suspect the brand will be no more in 5 years, but I hope otherwise.

• Informative
Reactions: ord3r
I am right there with you all, I expected at least a basic level of competency when it comes to building and assembling cars, and after a year I am absolutely done with the car. It’s getting traded in for a Lexus GSF, a brand I drove for 15 years prior to going with Tesla with zero rattles, zero vibration, zero issues overall. The unwillingness from service to cover rattles and poor assembly and the worsening condition of the car at a mere 10,000 miles led me to this, and while I am excited to be done with the issues and repeated service visits, I can’t help but feel disappointed in wanting Tesla to “win” and be able to fix their issues. If the model Y and future cars have this many issues, I suspect the brand will be no more in 5 years, but I hope otherwise.

Yep, build quality and service is so bad I'm in the process of lemoning this poorly built pos. This company is just ridiculous incompetent. Unfortunately, We need them to stick around until the legacy manufacturers catch up and the market is big enough for them to continue to develop and build BEVs so we can be done with Tesla shenanigans.

Service did fix the rattle coming from the grill/windshield on the driver side but didn't bother to fix the passenger side because they apparently do not know how to read or don't have time to read the work order. The work order states that there was a malformed vent that was causing vibrations. I'm assuming this was the vent that blows air up the windshield (defroster). It probably was deformed from the factory then got deformed more because service technicians are also incompetent and had to remove and reinstall the grill so many times.

I have less than 6k miles.

@m3supra , came across this thread while researching rattle on M3... (one of my issues on my new car delivered 2 weeks ago).

Which SC in the bay area did you go to? And what are the attempts to fix the rattle?

also, I'm not sure if you can lemon this thing since it's not safety related... ?

thanks

I've been unfortunate to be stuck going to the Berkely service center. Whenever I try to make an appointment at another for issues caused at Berkeley, I keep getting re-routed back to Berkeley.

Work order states the vent and the speaker grill, was replaced due to deformities. They probably did not replace the passenger side or it was deformed when they were reinstalling the grill. I haven't taken it apart myself but I'm guessing the speaker grill has plastic on plastic contact with the vents or missing clips. Youtube videos show that reinstalling the grill is a major pain so technicians are probably being sloppy because this vibration issue comes up a lot on this forum.

Lemon law is related to another issue that Berkeley SC has been unable to fix after several attempts.

Reactions: dchobo
Debugging rattle today, I think I found that the source of dash rattle... If I press on the fabric panel (speaker cover) at the left front, I'll hear the noise. But there's no similar noise on the right front side. So it may be something is loose on the left speaker panel...

Debugging rattle today, I think I found that the source of dash rattle... If I press on the fabric panel (speaker cover) at the left front, I'll hear the noise. But there's no similar noise on the right front side. So it may be something is loose on the left speaker panel...
Same exact issue coming from left/ driver-side speaker grill. 2 SC visits haven’t fixed it yet :(

I had the same issue with a persistent static/rattle coming from the left speaker grill. It annoyed me like no other.

I brute-forced a fix by hitting the pillars and the dash and it went away....for the time being.

It is SERIOUSLY annoying to have so many build issues. I have a red VIN # 42xxx.

Elon, you owe your early adopters a lot. We’ve put up a lot to support you and Tesla.

I have yet another freakin’ appointment to fix my brakes squeaking and axel click. I hate going to the SC.

I've been unfortunate to be stuck going to the Berkely service center. Whenever I try to make an appointment at another for issues caused at Berkeley, I keep getting re-routed back to Berkeley.

Work order states the vent and the speaker grill, was replaced due to deformities. They probably did not replace the passenger side or it was deformed when they were reinstalling the grill. I haven't taken it apart myself but I'm guessing the speaker grill has plastic on plastic contact with the vents or missing clips. Youtube videos show that reinstalling the grill is a major pain so technicians are probably being sloppy because this vibration issue comes up a lot on this forum.

Lemon law is related to another issue that Berkeley SC has been unable to fix after several attempts.

Wow, same situation here. After repeated attempts to repair vibration/grinding in steering, mine is going in next week for a final attempt to resolve it, and if unsuccessful is getting lemon law filing started as well. Rattling is the least of my concerns on the car, and I could maybe even live with them if it was even remotely enjoyable to drive most of the time. Such a shame, I was beyond excited about this car on delivery around a year ago. Perhaps I truly got a lemon, but there is no recovering brand image after so much wasted time and lacking customer support effort.

Yep mine would rattle when tapping on the grill also. Too bad the technicians at Tesla don't know how to tap on things. The service is supposed to have an internal tool and database so they can diagnose things faster based on past work. Looks like it doesn't work.

Wow, same situation here. After repeated attempts to repair vibration/grinding in steering, mine is going in next week for a final attempt to resolve it, and if unsuccessful is getting lemon law filing started as well. Rattling is the least of my concerns on the car, and I could maybe even live with them if it was even remotely enjoyable to drive most of the time. Such a shame, I was beyond excited about this car on delivery around a year ago. Perhaps I truly got a lemon, but there is no recovering brand image after so much wasted time and lacking customer support effort.

Funny thing is that it's being lemoned because they continue to **** up. Every level of the company is so bad it's appalling. It's infuriating the time I've wasted and the stress of it all during the short time I've owned the car. So many people are ignoring such blaring issues with the company that will be its own downfall.

Yep mine would rattle when tapping on the grill also. Too bad the technicians at Tesla don't know how to tap on things. The service is supposed to have an internal tool and database so they can diagnose things faster based on past work. Looks like it doesn't work.

Funny thing is that it's being lemoned because they continue to **** up. Every level of the company is so bad it's appalling. It's infuriating the time I've wasted and the stress of it all during the short time I've owned the car. So many people are ignoring such blaring issues with the company that will be its own downfall.
CAn you explain for which problems you are going lemon law route?

9458275D-31DB-4960-A2E3-9D61F14D2DF7.jpeg
View attachment 418683 I think it’s this piece...

Bizarrely, I’m missing that piece on the passenger side. It’s just not there! Not that it matters, but I feel like I was short-changed on my Model 3 purchase, lol. One less thing to rattle, I guess!