TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plastic windows coming for model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Cobbler, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Cobbler

Cobbler Member

I found this article about the benefits of using plastic windows instead of glass. I'm not sure if this idea has been discussed before (if so, please forward me to the thread ;) )

Benefits:
    - less weight, increased range
    - increased thermal insulation (less heating or cooling required)
    - much better impact resistance than glass (safety)
    - shape flexibility (thus a more complex design is possible)

If you read the article, it sounds like a must-have for the model 3!
    http://www.plasticseurope.org/information-centre/news/latest-news/all-plastic-windows-make-new-electric-concept-vehicle-lighter.aspx

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

They saved 30 pounds on a 2 seater car, maybe 50 pounds could be saved on a Model 3?

The question that matters is it cheaper than auto glass or close enough in cost to not be prohibitive?

3. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Would make some kind of sense to use something like Gorilla Glass, as long as it can meet the same safety criteria as regular glass.

4. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

5. tezco

tezco Sig P85

#5 tezco, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    I'd be very worried about scratches and yellowing. Plastic headlight lenses turn opaque and yellow quickly here in the land of high UV. That Gorilla glass sounds like a laminate with glass on the outside which might cut the UV down before it hits the plastic. But if the inside is plastic it will get scratched when you have to scrape off emissions stickers etc.

6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm worried about yellowing too. Scratches perhaps can be addressed if they use hard enough plastic.

This is probably another one of those new things Tesla should avoid to get the car out in time and on budget.

They can try new things for the next iteration.

7. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

I guess it could be similar to light aircraft windows... you know what? I'll stick with an amorphous ceramic. Constantly polishing your windows to cope with the blinding glare sounds terrible.

8. Caligula

Caligula Member

If were talking about side windows, I dont see how impact resistance is a safety feature. If anything its probably a hindrance for first responders.

9. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Yeah. Most modern automotive glass (at least the windshield) is a "sandwich" with a thin layer of plastic in the middle, and safety glass is tempered to shatter into granules, rather than big chunks and shards. The granules can cut you, but not as severely as traditional glass.

10. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

The folks at Traxxas already have the know how:)