Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic windows coming for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cobbler

Paranoid T.E.S.L.A Bull
Sep 22, 2015
België
I found this article about the benefits of using plastic windows instead of glass. I'm not sure if this idea has been discussed before (if so, please forward me to the thread ;) )

Benefits:
- less weight, increased range
- increased thermal insulation (less heating or cooling required)
- much better impact resistance than glass (safety)
- shape flexibility (thus a more complex design is possible)

If you read the article, it sounds like a must-have for the model 3!
http://www.plasticseurope.org/information-centre/news/latest-news/all-plastic-windows-make-new-electric-concept-vehicle-lighter.aspx

I'd be very worried about scratches and yellowing. Plastic headlight lenses turn opaque and yellow quickly here in the land of high UV. That Gorilla glass sounds like a laminate with glass on the outside which might cut the UV down before it hits the plastic. But if the inside is plastic it will get scratched when you have to scrape off emissions stickers etc.

Last edited:
I'd be very worried about scratches and yellowing. Plastic headlight lenses turn opaque and yellow quickly here in the land of high UV.
Yeah, I'm worried about yellowing too. Scratches perhaps can be addressed if they use hard enough plastic.

This is probably another one of those new things Tesla should avoid to get the car out in time and on budget.

They can try new things for the next iteration.

Yeah. Most modern automotive glass (at least the windshield) is a "sandwich" with a thin layer of plastic in the middle, and safety glass is tempered to shatter into granules, rather than big chunks and shards. The granules can cut you, but not as severely as traditional glass.