Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what do you want all the stuff we use to be made out of? The reason for the investment is demand. It certainly is not just plastic containers. Just about everything we use in our modern life is made with plastic. Even carbon fiber is derived from fossil fuels.

Plastic i
So what do you want all the stuff we use to be made out of? The reason for the investment is demand. It certainly is not just plastic containers. Just about everything we use in our modern life is made with plastic. Even carbon fiber is derived from fossil fuels.
Plastic is cheap so we mindlessly throw it away. A million plastic bottles a minute
Carbon tax instead of subsidies would be a start. I personally never buy beverages in plastic bottles. No plastic grocery bags.
We can get by without consuming so much plastic.

Reactions: SageBrush
$180bn investment in plastic factories feeds global packaging binge

$180bn investment in plastic factories feeds global packaging binge
Looks like the fossil fuel companies have opened a new front in their war on humanity.
Large investment in plastic production will burry us in plastic waste.

Sad, check out the Pacific Trash Vortex from space. When I was in El Salvador during the late 80's they used large beach almond leaves and banana leaves to sell food on. Other types of Items such as a pound of nails would get this newspaper cone.
Now the country is covered in plastic non- biodegradable trash.

Been trying to reduce our personal plastic waste footprint. Plastic is everywhere - even if one tries to make informed decisions it is hard to make a huge dent in the problem.

I take my lunch to work in a brown bag, but have been using plastic baggies for my sandwiches. Will try parchment paper next to wrap them and other foods. Reynolds makes unbleached and home compostable parchment paper so just ordered some.

A problem with many "compostable" products, particularly "biodegradable" plastics is that they almost all require commercial/industrial composting and can not be composted at home nor do they biodegrade rapidly on their own. Most of us do not live near such facilities.

Been trying to reduce our personal plastic waste footprint. Plastic is everywhere - even if one tries to make informed decisions it is hard to make a huge dent in the problem.

I take my lunch to work in a brown bag, but have been using plastic baggies for my sandwiches. Will try parchment paper next to wrap them and other foods. Reynolds makes unbleached and home compostable parchment paper so just ordered some.

A problem with many "compostable" products, particularly "biodegradable" plastics is that they almost all require commercial/industrial composting and can not be composted at home nor do they biodegrade rapidly on their own. Most of us do not live near such facilities.
Try just plain paper... newspaper, etc.
It's a shame to wrap food which will spoil by noon in packaging that lasts hundreds of years.

Reactions: iPlug
Been trying to reduce our personal plastic waste footprint.

Compared to me, you are a sensible person. I hate plastic with a passion. Although not always, I have been know to let food rot that my wife brings home in plastic containers as a message to her to buy other containers. I pretty much ignore recycling information since it means so very little.

As for sandwiches in my lunch paper bag, I wrap in foil that I re-use again and again. I don't know the details of metals in the waste stream but my uninformed gut feeling is better.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPlug
Try just plain paper... newspaper, etc.
It's a shame to wrap food which will spoil by noon in packaging that lasts hundreds of years.
From an environmental perspective that is probably best as those products would be wasted anyway. I'm just a bit worried about inks and paper treatment chemicals potentially leaching into the food from most paper in my house (mostly junk mail and a couple magazines we subscribe to). Might be food safe, but I haven't looked into it in much detail.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr