Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastidip 19" aero covers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an old thread, but here is my result.. ended up using 4 !!! cans of plasti-dip, taped out and kept the shiny gray parts and I kept center silver, but added a black tesla logo.

Attachments

• Nash Model Y.jpg
    Nash Model Y.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 882
  • 20210820_093850.jpg
    20210820_093850.jpg
    723.9 KB · Views: 343
Looks great! Did you do the entire wheel underneath or just the outer edge? If the whole wheel, is there any damage from putting on and taking off the covers?
I left the wheels the original silver I only sprayed the covers. For the edge I just used some black electrical tape that matched the finish perfectly.

There are marks on the wheels from covers, I haven’t really tried to polish them out because I was just putting the covers back on.

Reactions: loggedout
Have one wheel dipped and one cover dipped for comparison. Don’t know which one I prefer at the moment. What do you guys think?
View attachment 699838View attachment 699841View attachment 699840View attachment 699839
Dang, that looks sharp! Flat black or glossy black? From this angle the covers give the illusion that the wheel is larger than it is, something I prefer. But they both look sharp. I'd probably keep them on for the little extra efficiency since they both look good.

Have one wheel dipped and one cover dipped for comparison. Don’t know which one I prefer at the moment. What do you guys think?
View attachment 699838View attachment 699841View attachment 699840View attachment 699839

These look amazing! I'm thinking about doing the same. How many cans did you use on the rims vs caps?

These look amazing! I'm thinking about doing the same. How many cans did you use on the rims vs caps?
Thanks! When I did the rims, it was about a can per rim. For the cap, I used less than one. Probably could do 3 caps with 2 cans though I’d just stick with the one can per each rule. I would also definitely get the aerosol can spray tool that basically adds a gun attachment to the can. Has a trigger so you can easily get consistent spraying pressure

All in I used about 3 cans on just the covers. That includes messing two of them up by dripping sweat onto it while it was still wet!

There are some good videos on YouTube from dip your car. I used the wet and heavy coat technique for mine and it really gives a smooth finish (perfect match to all the existing black trim) but you have longer drying times. If you go with the thinner quicker layers it dries faster in between but you need to do more and it can lead to the rougher finish if you’re not careful. The good thing is anything you do can be undone.

Was it difficult to do?
Not really, significantly easier then doing a full wheel where you have to mask off all the brakes and other components or take it off the car completely. If you've never plastidip'd anything before you should watch some videos and plan to buy an extra can or two for when you'll inevitably mess something up. Once you get one cover done you should have a good hang of it.

Reactions: DDubbsEV