TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plastidip and Autoflex questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by HankLloydRight, Jun 6, 2016.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

A few questions for those that might be able to offer some advice.

As I've posted previously, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger and getting my P85+ Plastidipped in this color:

Deep Sea Blue Pearl in Plastidip: Audi A7 from Prodipper

The quote I received for Plastidip only (from the same shop that did this Audi) was about $1200. I asked for an Autoflex quote for the same thing (w/satin finish) and the quote was $2000.

Is $800 more for Autoflex worth it? I know the Autoflex finish is as close to real paint as you can get. Having never seen a Plastidipped car in person, what is the Plastidip finish like to the touch? Rubbery?

And from what I can tell, if I go Autoflex, it's *all* autoflex with the blue KP pigment, and no Plastidip at all. Otherwise, it's Plastidip plus a Dip pearl top coat. Correct? It's not like it's Plastidip color coat and an Autoflex top coat? Or can people do that too?

Also, I was thinking of having a color correction done to my original paint before the dipping or Autoflex... but then I thought, maybe I should have a color correction done later, down the road if/when I peel off the dip and go for a different color? Any thoughts on getting a CC done before or after dipping? (The CC would cost $450).

Finally, I can't decide to go with a stain finish or high-gloss finish -- I know this is subjective, but any thoughts/comments on that?

thanks.

2. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

First off, love that color! Gorgeous!!

I've only heard of Autoflex and not seen it in person. I have, however, seen Plastidip in person and I would say that it does have a bit of a rubbery feel to it and not completely smooth like real paint - pretty close, but not quite there. I guess I'd describe it like a balloon-type texture.

I did have CC done on my car before I wrapped it, but it was before I knew for sure that I would wrap it. I think you'd be fine doing the CC before or after since the dip/flex will protect the paint.

I prefer satin finish, but that's just my opinion. I like it because it's more unique and I just like the way it looks. But others will prefer a glossy paint-like appearance.

Best of luck! Looking forward to the pics and which you decide to do!!

• Like x 1