Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastidip and Autoflex questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few questions for those that might be able to offer some advice.

As I've posted previously, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger and getting my P85+ Plastidipped in this color:

Deep Sea Blue Pearl in Plastidip: Audi A7 from Prodipper

The quote I received for Plastidip only (from the same shop that did this Audi) was about $1200. I asked for an Autoflex quote for the same thing (w/satin finish) and the quote was $2000.

Is $800 more for Autoflex worth it? I know the Autoflex finish is as close to real paint as you can get. Having never seen a Plastidipped car in person, what is the Plastidip finish like to the touch? Rubbery?

And from what I can tell, if I go Autoflex, it's *all* autoflex with the blue KP pigment, and no Plastidip at all. Otherwise, it's Plastidip plus a Dip pearl top coat. Correct? It's not like it's Plastidip color coat and an Autoflex top coat? Or can people do that too?

Also, I was thinking of having a color correction done to my original paint before the dipping or Autoflex... but then I thought, maybe I should have a color correction done later, down the road if/when I peel off the dip and go for a different color? Any thoughts on getting a CC done before or after dipping? (The CC would cost $450).

Finally, I can't decide to go with a stain finish or high-gloss finish -- I know this is subjective, but any thoughts/comments on that?

thanks.

A few questions for those that might be able to offer some advice.

As I've posted previously, I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger and getting my P85+ Plastidipped in this color:

Deep Sea Blue Pearl in Plastidip: Audi A7 from Prodipper

The quote I received for Plastidip only (from the same shop that did this Audi) was about $1200. I asked for an Autoflex quote for the same thing (w/satin finish) and the quote was $2000.

Is $800 more for Autoflex worth it? I know the Autoflex finish is as close to real paint as you can get. Having never seen a Plastidipped car in person, what is the Plastidip finish like to the touch? Rubbery?

And from what I can tell, if I go Autoflex, it's *all* autoflex with the blue KP pigment, and no Plastidip at all. Otherwise, it's Plastidip plus a Dip pearl top coat. Correct? It's not like it's Plastidip color coat and an Autoflex top coat? Or can people do that too?

Also, I was thinking of having a color correction done to my original paint before the dipping or Autoflex... but then I thought, maybe I should have a color correction done later, down the road if/when I peel off the dip and go for a different color? Any thoughts on getting a CC done before or after dipping? (The CC would cost $450).

Finally, I can't decide to go with a stain finish or high-gloss finish -- I know this is subjective, but any thoughts/comments on that?

thanks.

First off, love that color! Gorgeous!!

I've only heard of Autoflex and not seen it in person. I have, however, seen Plastidip in person and I would say that it does have a bit of a rubbery feel to it and not completely smooth like real paint - pretty close, but not quite there. I guess I'd describe it like a balloon-type texture.

I did have CC done on my car before I wrapped it, but it was before I knew for sure that I would wrap it. I think you'd be fine doing the CC before or after since the dip/flex will protect the paint.

I prefer satin finish, but that's just my opinion. I like it because it's more unique and I just like the way it looks. But others will prefer a glossy paint-like appearance.

Best of luck! Looking forward to the pics and which you decide to do!!

Reactions: HankLloydRight