Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastidip Model X Stock Wheels - PART 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC its your boy Rudy for Part 2 of this thread...

7. Pro-tip before each new application layer, spray on a piece of scrap card board. The dip tends to clump around the nozzle and by spraying a few seconds, cleans it and that way you prevent big drops from ruining your finish.

8. Use a hairdryer between coats. I started doing this during the Satinizer step and it saved a ton of time. It was 55-60 and windy today in SoCal so it took a long time for between coats to dry naturally.

9. Finished one wheel and the rest will be done this weekend. I will post more pics when finished.
IMG_2064.JPG IMG_2065.JPG

Excellent tutorial! Thanks.

A lot of people do this with the wheels on. It saves a lot of time and effort, can provide better wheel-to-wheel uniformity, and reduces the risk of all sorts of damage and injury.

What were the main reasons for you to chose the off-wheel approach?

A lot of people do this with the wheels on. It saves a lot of time and effort, can provide better wheel-to-wheel uniformity, and reduces the risk of all sorts of damage and injury.

In my opinion the look will be much better with wheels off. These rims are wide and you can't color the inside rim without the wheels off. You will see the light gray inside contrasting with the black face of the wheel and I don't think that looks finished. If you've ever jacked any other car the X lifts the same way. Pretty safe with the right tools

I did wheels-off for a number of reasons but mainly so that I could do the entire rim. There is a lot of surface area on the backside, so it does take a number of extra cans to pull off. The other thing you have to be aware of is that the rim sticks beyond the tire, so if you are painting these laying flat you need spacers under the tire portion to keep the rim from touching the ground. I did 4 or 5 coats so I was flipping the wheels over many times to coat each side. The wheels are pretty heavy and you have to be careful putting them down each time to avoid marring the partially dried paint.

Before and after done with wheels on. This is much better than powercoat as you can easily touch up the wheels if you get a nick or a curb rash with an extra can of plasti dip.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.PNG
    IMG_0036.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    429 KB · Views: 339