Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PlastiDip on my wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit--I was skeptical at first about how it looks. But at $6 per can at Home Depot, I decided to give it a shot.

Here's how it looks like after four coats. So far, so good. We used duct tape to contain the spray and keep it off the tires. I wanted to use painter's tape on the wheels, but the newly picked-up MX still had tire gloss on it preventing anything else from really sticking. So far, with one can, I have done one side of the car (with liberal application). I notice some of the kits out there have four cans of the matte base--that should be good for more than one car.

Anyhow--just to tide me over until I can save up for a set of Vossens.

17236956_10154448097836365_1593492874_o.jpg

That looks really nice! Do you have Dip Coat from dyc.com? Dip Coat treats the dip after it dries and "hardens" the dip so it lasts longer & is easier to clean (especially brake dust). I did my 911s wheels and they lasted long enough until I wanted the original finish back.

Have my detailer PlastiDip my rims once every 6 months. There is no need to tape the tire PlastiDip will not bind with rubber. It will come off the tire with little effort after it dries. He also did the metallic black wrap on the center cap with the Tesla T cut out. My detailer removed the tire and did not do the lug nuts this way if the rim is removed will not have to get the whole thing redone.

Attachments

• 20160806_134855.jpg
    20160806_134855.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 1,049
Last edited:
Looks great. I did it on my wrangler. When I traded it in the dealer thought they were real black rims. When I started I took the whole wheel off and laid it down to spray it but after like an hour of waiting for the wheel to dry and applying coats I just left the rest of the wheels on and put paper towels between the spokes. Didn't bother taping anymore after that either and it rubs off the tires with your fingers.

Looks great. I did it on my wrangler. When I traded it in the dealer thought they were real black rims. When I started I took the whole wheel off and laid it down to spray it but after like an hour of waiting for the wheel to dry and applying coats I just left the rest of the wheels on and put paper towels between the spokes. Didn't bother taping anymore after that either and it rubs off the tires with your fingers.
It seems okay for my application just leaving it on.

No need to tape? That's awesome. I'll refrain from taping next time. How are you finding the condition of the job by month 6? Some reviews I've read said they look good after a year, still.
I Drive daily min of 90 miles so after 6 months on Houston streets, it starts to peel at the edges. So results may vary based on your driving and the road conditions. Every 6 month I go to my detailers shop have some pizzas delivered and bring a case of beer leave with wheels and wrap re-done. Not bad in my book.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
Here's a technique that I used when I dipped my 19" Slipstreams on my Model S while on the car:

What's in the picture is a disc of craft paper that I threaded under the wheel spokes. The black marks on the paper are where it did its job of keeping PlastiDip off of everything behind the spokes.
Craft Paper.jpg
I used some Armor All on the tires to make it easier to peel off the overspray. And I used a plastic drop cloth over the entire car, just in case. I should have also put something down on the driveway to catch overspray...but I didn't.
Dipped Wheel.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: vandacca
Here's a technique that I used when I dipped my 19" Slipstreams on my Model S while on the car:

What's in the picture is a disc of craft paper that I threaded under the wheel spokes. The black marks on the paper are where it did its job of keeping PlastiDip off of everything behind the spokes.
View attachment 217859
I used some Armor All on the tires to make it easier to peel off the overspray. And I used a plastic drop cloth over the entire car, just in case. I should have also put something down on the driveway to catch overspray...but I didn't.
View attachment 217860

That's a good idea. Quick question- did you take the lug nut covers out and sprayed them separately?

Also, I wonder what would happen if you get a flat and need to take tire off? PlastiDip would need to be reapplied I am guessing.

did you take the lug nut covers out and sprayed them separately?

Also, I wonder what would happen if you get a flat and need to take tire off? PlastiDip would need to be reapplied I am guessing.

I left the nut and hub covers on when I sprayed.

I have "PunctureGuard" on all of the tires, so...Oh wait, there is no such product. So, yes, a flat would almost certainly mess things up with the nut covers...and maybe the wheel edges too if/when the tire is removed. A touch-up or repaint would be needed. Probably not a big deal though. I'm hanging on to the disc masks.

These are the standard wheels and would not be hard or expensive to replace on ebay et al if I needed to. I'd be more concerned risking a "dip" on more expensive wheels.

I'm really happy how they turned out.

I actually put a coat of Graphite Metalizer on one, but didn't like the look. So another coat of black put things back the way they were.

I sprayed while mirrors were unfolded. If they do fold you'all see the chrome. I don't have my mirrors set to close automatically.

Not sure how it would hold up if there was dip in the area as they opened and closed.

I have to admit--I was skeptical at first about how it looks. But at $6 per can at Home Depot, I decided to give it a shot.

Here's how it looks like after four coats. So far, so good. We used duct tape to contain the spray and keep it off the tires. I wanted to use painter's tape on the wheels, but the newly picked-up MX still had tire gloss on it preventing anything else from really sticking. So far, with one can, I have done one side of the car (with liberal application). I notice some of the kits out there have four cans of the matte base--that should be good for more than one car.

View attachment 217837
Looks great @SPtheALIEN! Our Black X is coming in a couple of weeks with stock 20's and dipping our wheels and chrome delete was first on our list. Glad to see some pics on other X's.

View attachment 217837
Looks awesome!! Thanks for the video. Do you think if you let it cure long enough you could have gotten the junk mail out with no damage to the plastidip? Did you consider taking the tires off the car instead and if so, what made you decide to just leave them on the car?