Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastidip vs. hyperdip for Geminis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the shadow black hyper dip on mine and it had a matte/ slightly glossy finish similar to the rest of the black trim and the inductions. Regular old plastidip has a duller finish that doesn’t look as good.
FD510C85-A0E0-4388-BA91-73131B373500.jpeg

yea unless you plan on adding on layers of glossifier after plastidip, plastidip on its own wont give you the effect you are looking for.
Thanks, it had seemed most Model Y videos and pics I saw were using plastidip thus my question. To your point though, I want something to look smooth and as close visually to powdercoated as possible

You might prefer either the piano black or black emerald finish:

1632862050815.png

You can see in this comparison the Shadow Black vs original and the depth and additional matte shine that the Shadow Black Hyperdip has over the original PlastiDip:

1632862109044.png

Reactions: s14roller
You might prefer either the piano black or black emerald finish:

View attachment 715525

You can see in this comparison the Shadow Black vs original and the depth and additional matte shine that the Shadow Black Hyperdip has over the original PlastiDip:

View attachment 715526
The gloss colors look interesting, my only concern there would it look “plasticity”

the shadow seems like a pretty safe satin finish

The gloss colors look interesting, my only concern there would it look “plasticity”

the shadow seems like a pretty safe satin finish
Here’s someone that used the Black Emerald and it came out pretty nice. Hyperdip Gloss, 19" gemini rims refinished.

I wanted a flatter look which is why I did the Shadow. Another tip is buy an extra can or two if you’ve never used plastidip before because you’ll almost guaranteed mess up a wheel and need to start over and you’d rather have a little more than be short and only finish 3 of the wheels. It also depends if you’re doing the cover or the actual wheel underneath as that requires more material than just the cover. Another tip to a smooth finish is to go in heavy wet coats as opposed to light coats. This is a helpful video:

Here’s someone that used the Black Emerald and it came out pretty nice. Hyperdip Gloss, 19" gemini rims refinished.

I wanted a flatter look which is why I did the Shadow. Another tip is buy an extra can or two if you’ve never used plastidip before because you’ll almost guaranteed mess up a wheel and need to start over and you’d rather have a little more than be short and only finish 3 of the wheels. It also depends if you’re doing the cover or the actual wheel underneath as that requires more material than just the cover. Another tip to a smooth finish is to go in heavy wet coats as opposed to light coats. This is a helpful video:
Thanks for the tips! Any point on getting the can gun?

Thanks for the tips! Any point on getting the can gun?
Are you talking about the one that clips on top? I had one years ago but didn't buy one for this time. It will probably stop your fingers from getting sore like mine did pressing down on the nozzle for so long and might make things a little easier. If you don't get it and use a finger, just be sure to keep the tip of your finger back. I had to redo a wheel because I was 90% done and then my finger had slipped forward so part of the spray was hitting the tip and causing some spotting. Good news is that WD-40 quickly dissolves the plastidip, so you can just spray that on and then rinse with a hose and cloth and it'll come right off for you to start again.

Are you talking about the one that clips on top? I had one years ago but didn't buy one for this time. It will probably stop your fingers from getting sore like mine did pressing down on the nozzle for so long and might make things a little easier. If you don't get it and use a finger, just be sure to keep the tip of your finger back. I had to redo a wheel because I was 90% done and then my finger had slipped forward so part of the spray was hitting the tip and causing some spotting. Good news is that WD-40 quickly dissolves the plastidip, so you can just spray that on and then rinse with a hose and cloth and it'll come right off for you to start again.
Yeah, exactly, the one they sell for $5-10