Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plastidipped Aero cap vs stock wheels w/o aero caps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know a LOT of people were asking this earlier and I finally got around to doing this..
View attachment 305682 View attachment 305683

IMG_0924.jpg
IMG_0920.jpg

I only did one wheel and I also got really impatient so I managed to peel some of the black plasti dip off. Also my coverage wasn't superb when taping over so I'm going to need to take more tiem with the other three wheels if I end up deciding it's worth the effort. So barring the minor imperfections of the actual installation job (ignore the peeled plasti dip in a couple parts), what do you guys think? Which do you like better?

Did 4 base coats of black plastidip and then 3 coats of bright aluminum metalizer.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 477
I like the plasti-dip job better.

I really think tesla could have done better with the aero covers, they look terrible from the factory.
They look terrible because they're that dark dirty grey color, which only matches one of the body paint colors. Same with the wheels underneath. They should have been silver which would have matched all body colors. But that probably would have looked too good, and resulted in fewer upgraded wheel sales.

I'm curious about that "bright aluminum metalizer" I'd love the aero caps to be all silver. Was that a spray-on product?
Yep it's plasti dip! You can't just apply the bright aluminum metalizer , you have to put a base coat of plasti dip on (I opted for the black base coat). I put 4 layers of black and 3 layers of the metalizer on top with letting each coat sit for ~30 min

Reactions: slipnslider
The idea is wonderful.
I would like the silver to be less shiny and the 'feet' of each arm make the entire design a little too swastika-y for me

With a little tweaking, I would stand in line to buy it since the OEM is very much not to my liking.

I really liked this and tried it this weekend. Ordered the wheel kit from dipyourcar.com, watched tons of videos on how to apply it, followed all directions to the letter.

Ended in total failure.

As soon as I pulled up the masking tape after getting all the required coats of the aluminum metallizer on the spokes, it immediately peeled up the black Plasti-Dip underneath.

No saving it at this point, will just have to peel everything off. Probably won't try this again, I spent hours getting set up for it, several hours getting the initial coats of black down, and nearly a full afternoon taping the masks in preparation for the aluminum metallizer. It looks very simple, but it's a lot of hours of work.

Quite disappointed, I was really looking forward to having this on the car.

pd1.jpg

Initial Aero wheel cover.

pd2.jpg

First 50% coverage black coat.

pd3.jpg

Several black coats.

pd4.jpg

Masking of black areas.

pd5.jpg

4 coats aliminum metallizer.

pd6.jpg

Disaster.