Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plate Number for EV Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you can. I see many Tesla's without the EV plates in MA. People can also transfer tags from their current cars to their Tesla's. You would have to let your delivery manager know your preferences. It is also possible that if you wanted an EV tag and you are trading a current non-Tesla in you would have to tell them you want an EV tag so they don't transfer your current tag to the Tesla.

Reactions: TFCooper3
There is no requirement for an EV plate but I don't see any reason you wouldn't want one, I explicitly asked Tesla for an EV plate. They said they keep a supply but they sometimes run out at the end of a quarter and have to use regular plates, I let them know I had a strong preference for an EV plate. I like the cute little EV with a plug for a tail,

There is no requirement for an EV plate but I don't see any reason you wouldn't want one, I explicitly asked Tesla for an EV plate. They said they keep a supply but they sometimes run out at the end of a quarter and have to use regular plates, I let them know I had a strong preference for an EV plate. I like the cute little EV with a plug for a tail,

We have FD plates on our Tesla.

I had EV plates on my first three Teslas - on the Model 3 in 2018 it was the default. But when I picked up my Model Y in Peabody in June I was surprised to get regular plates. They said they hadn't received EV plates throughout Covid. I was bummed - I think the plates help highlight and promote EVs.

Replacement plates in MA cost $10 each, so switching to EV plates will cost you $20, plus you have to hand in your old plates. Bring whatever tools you need to swap the plates, drive to the RMV, remove the old ones, walk in, pay the fee and they'll hand you EV plates to replace them with. There's a chance they won't have any in stock, though.

• Helpful
Reactions: jlv1 and EdA