Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plate theft foiled by stick on front plate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I’d share as it’s not something I had really considered until last night, but the Tesla number plate mounts are not really very secure!

My M3 is currently fitted with the regular Tesla bracket and plate on the rear and the front replaced with a vinyl/stick on one. At about 20:00 last night I noticed the thumbnail of events on my driveway security camera there were 2 men on my driveway, hoods up, face masks on.

First they go round the back of the car and popped my number plate off in less than 5 seconds, when they get round the front the camera picks up one of them saying ‘that’s a sticker it’s no f*cking good’ they then threw my rear plate on the grass and just left…

Informed the police in case some other poor Tesla owner wakes up with their plates missing, they looked at the footage and you can’t make out any features due to the masks, so they’ve just logged it as a incident, patrolled the area and thought it was people looking to clone plates.

It wasn’t until afterwards I realised the regular bracket is very insecure, so thought I’d share.

Anyone else had this happen? Or have replaced their brackets/plate on the rear with something a bit more tamper proof?

Not a chance in hell the police uses resourcss to check for fingerprints on an attempted stolen plate. They have closed this case off and moved on.
I guess it depends on the area. These people don’t do one off thefts so viable leads are always worth considering. Also, it’s not an attempted theft, the theft was complete as soon as they removed the plate.

However, I see from the OP that they were wearing gloves, so that’s the end of that.

Not had this experience. Here in California we can have digital plates that will say plate detached when its removed, and also very recently we can now get the vinyl plates. Wasnt considering getting vinyl on the front until i read this. I have the digital plate on the back and to stop someone breaking the front bracket off even just because they have nothing better to do sounds a better option.

I guess it depends on the area. These people don’t do one off thefts so viable leads are always worth considering. Also, it’s not an attempted theft, the theft was complete as soon as they removed the plate.

However, I see from the OP that they were wearing gloves, so that’s the end of that.
I don’t think it would be counted as theft. As the plate as left behind there was no permanent deprivement (see the Theft Act 1968). I’m not sure attempted theft is actually a crime. Most likely this would be considered petty vandalism

I don’t think it would be counted as theft. As the plate as left behind there was no permanent deprivement (see the Theft Act 1968). I’m not sure attempted theft is actually a crime. Most likely this would be considered petty vandalism
It’s most definitely theft. Theft occurs when a person appropriates property belonging to another with the intent to permanently deprive the other of it. As soon as they remove the plate from the car they have appropriated it and their intent was to take this away with them. The fact they then changed their minds when they discovered they couldn’t take the front plate does not remove their original intent when they removed the rear plate. Theft is complete.

Attempted theft is just as much a crime, and is treated the same as if the crime were complete. For example, if they had attempted to remove the rear plate, however it was secured too well for them to remove it. This would be an offence of attempted theft, with the same sentencing powers as if they had managed to steal the plate.

Reactions: scrapps
FWIW attempted theft is a crime and as to the full or attempted offence there doesn’t have to be permanent deprivation merely an intention permanently to deprive at the time of the taking but this really is one of those upsetting incidents (men on balaclavas on your driveway?!?!😱) that has zero chance of being investigated.
Interesting that cloners are now looking at Teslas. Rare cars never get cloned.

Low life scums.

Ye, technically not theft as they took nothing but it’s a crime for sure damaging/interfering with someone else’s property.

Any reason why you haven’t put stick-on plates in the rear? The Tesla plate holders are pretty naff tbh and stick-ons look so much better.

Low life scums.

Ye, technically not theft as they took nothing but it’s a crime for sure damaging/interfering with someone else’s property.

Any reason why you haven’t put stick-on plates in the rear? The Tesla plate holders are pretty naff tbh and stick-ons look so much better.
I haven’t seen a vinyl one on the back before, might have to look into it!

Yes, lots of white Teslas. If someone with a white car intends some criminal activity using the Tesla as a getaway vehicle it could be a handy way of hiding its true identity by using someone else's plates.
Only difference these days is that Tesla's are geotagged, monitored and watched by Big brother. Unless the criminals hide the cars identity somehow. Also your car will be geotagged etc so would be easy evidence to prove it wasn't you. "Innocent until snitched on by Teslafi"

Reactions: Adopado
The police classed it as vehicle interference as the plate got left behind on the grass
The easier offence to prove. Motor vehicle interference was introduced to get around people breaking into cars, getting caught in the act and then claiming they were simply trying to find a place to sleep.

Low life scums.

Technically, it is still theft. As already stated, as soon as they took possession of the number plate in these circumstances, they committed the offence of theft. The fact they subsequently changed their minds is irrelevant.

Some of you lot would not do well in police training school exams!