Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plates and registration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Model 3 on December 28. Haven't seen my California plates or DMV registration arrive yet. Has anyone else with a late December pick up date received theirs yet? Want to know when I should begin to worry... and I want my plates so I can apply for my carpool stickers!

There is a sticky thread at the top of the California page that covers this exact topic: California DMV - Plates & HOV Stickers

Also, you don't need to wait for your permanent plates to apply for your CAV sticker (so you can drive the carpool lane) - you can put in your temporary plate on the application. There is a thread on the general topic here: CAV Decal 2020

Picked up my car on 12/27 in Burbank and received my plates 2/6. Curious that the return address on the package was from the Marina Del Rey Tesla center rather than from the DMV.

Last edited:
Picked up my Model 3 on December 28. Haven't seen my California plates or DMV registration arrive yet. Has anyone else with a late December pick up date received theirs yet? Want to know when I should begin to worry... and I want my plates so I can apply for my carpool stickers!

I took delivery on the same day and I got my plates two weeks ago

You do not need to wait for your permanent plates to apply for your CAV.
That's what I thought too. I took delivery on 12/31/19 and still have not received my perm license plate/registration. I mailed in my $22 check on 1/9/20, and it got sent back to me 2 weeks ago.

The reason they rejected the application was that "The dealership has started the process to register this vehicle in your name, but it is incomplete. Please resubmit the application after a registration card is issued in your name."

Now I'm emailing my delivery center to see where my license plate is... because my temp one is about to expire at the end of the month. =/

I took delivery on 12/20 in Burbank .
I haven’t received my plates or registration.

I also haven’t had the funds from my bank transfer for the final payment come out of my bank account. Are these two things related? There’s no way that Tesla would not take my bank transfer, right?? Anyone else have this issue?

Took delivery in Buena Park on 12/29/2019.
Plates received 02/18/2020.
The registration card says fees were received 01/17/2020, and the card was actually issued 02/07/2020.
Seems to be slow given how most things should be/are electronic except the actual shipping of the plates.

Seems to be slow given how most things should be/are electronic except the actual shipping of the plates.
This is the government we're talking about here...

Although in the DMV's defense, I will say that when I had to go in to renew my license (hadn't had to go in for over a decade) ON A SATURDAY, it was a quick, pain-free experience. Even without an appointment, I was in and out in about 30 minutes and the longest I think I waited was maybe 10 minutes in one of the lines. It was almost too fast - I had planned on doing the online portion of things (for the Real ID) while I waited and just BARELY finished on time.

Although in the DMV's defense, I will say that when I had to go in to renew my license (hadn't had to go in for over a decade) ON A SATURDAY, it was a quick, pain-free experience. Even without an appointment, I was in and out in about 30 minutes and the longest I think I waited was maybe 10 minutes in one of the lines. It was almost too fast - I had planned on doing the online portion of things (for the Real ID) while I waited and just BARELY finished on time.
Which DMV office did you go to?

My RealID appointment took 10-15 min, and I had it within a week. Easy!