Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Platform bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ramp is a bit of a help.
20201001_234310866_iOS.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I recently ordered a Model Y with the $1000 tow package.

I assumed since it's a standard 2" class 2 hitch, it has the standard 300 lb tongue weight (TW) to match the 3500 lb gross trailer weight (GTW) advertised on the order page. I did find it very odd that they never specified the TW on the order page. It's a curious omission!
I had no idea that there's a separate 160 lb TW limit for "vertical loads" such as bike racks and baskets. This makes me very angry. :mad:

I'm planning on using the hitch to mount my existing 2-bike 60 lb platform rack, and my two 65 lb e-bikes. Buying a new bike rack is not option at this point, and there's very little racks that can support two 65-lb e-bikes.
Total weight will be 60 + 65 + 65 = 190 lb, which is way over the 160 lb TW limit.

I'm going to email my Sales Advisor and ask them to clarify. I don't think its OK to find out about this after-the-fact post-delivery via reading the owners manual. What if I didn't read the owners manual front-to-back? If I didn't stumble upon here, I would've assumed the 300 lb TW and mounted the bikes, causing the entire thing to bend under load, or potentially even snapping and fall off completely. Then of course Tesla would not be liable for any of the ensuing damage as they put the small fine print in the owners manual.

Tesla needs to clearly specify this before ordering. Does anyone have a link to an official Tesla doc (that is not the owners manual) that show the 160 lb TW limit? Or even the standard TW?

I talked to my Tesla sales advisor to ask about the tongue weight for vertical loads. Initially, he did not know so I had him do some research internally.

The max tongue weight for vertical loads (e.g. bike racks) is 120lb, so the value in Model X/Y Hitch Rack page is correct (and matches the value for Model X hitch). He told me that the 160 lb mentioned in page 72 of the Model Y owners manual is a typo, and will be corrected soon in later revisions of the owners manual.

This means that assuming a 40 lb bike rack, we are able to load up to 80 lb of bikes, or roughly 40 lb per bike for 2 bikes.

Last edited:
The max tongue weight for vertical loads (e.g. bike racks) is 120lb, so the value in Model X/Y Hitch Rack page is correct (and matches the value for Model X hitch). He told me that the 160 lb mentioned in page 72 of the Model Y owners manual is a typo, and will be corrected soon in later revisions of the owners manual.
If true, this is a huge mistake on their part. Owners are, right now, trusting that the manual is correct and working from a 160lb rating. It's pretty terrible that the manual (which they can update at literally any time) is wrong, but to find the right information you need to go to a page selling their branded rack? Crazy.

Yes, that was my argument to the SA as well. If I put 160 lb and the bike rack falls off, then my insurance wouldn't cover any damages to my vehicle or god forbid whomever is following behind me. It will become a huge liability issue with everyone pointing fingers at each other, and ultimately me being liable.

But they (Tesla) just didn't seem to care, as with many other things these days. I hope that Electrek/InsideEVs will take this and do some private investigation on their own. Of course, without a PR dept anymore, this will be difficult to do. If anyone else still has contacts at Tesla, please do independently verify this info.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a big error by Tesla. I’m surprised they didn’t immediately update the owners manual on their website.

By the way, I finally got my Kuat NV 2.0 and Tesla tow hitch installed last week. I’m really pleased with the sturdiness and look of the bike rack. I also like the extra security provided by the hitch bar in the unlikely event that the bike rack was not fully tightened on the hitch.

I did have to buy a right-angle locking hitch pin (see link below) since there’s not enough clearance to use the Kuat provided pin, which is unfortunate since the same key works with the integrated bike cable locks.
https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufac...itch+lock&qid=1603842871&sprefix=curt+&sr=8-8

Attachments

• 9A22497E-A05B-4A7A-9E46-4254B256CDB2.jpeg
    9A22497E-A05B-4A7A-9E46-4254B256CDB2.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
I've had good luck with Yakima racks on previous cars, and am considering their Dr. Tray hitch rack: Dr.Tray

In my case, I'm looking for a two-bike solution and this rack is only 34 pounds so that + two bikes would be well within the limit. Has anyone here installed that rack? Experiences?

This is my rack. I have had this for many years.

I tried it the first time today going to bike trails which is just a few minutes from where I live.

Probably I'm at 175 lbs....
Is this the rockymount splitrail LS? Your post made me look at that model; seems like it’s lighter than the kuat/thule platforms.

How easy it to remove/install the rack from the vehicle? From my reading, it seems like the pin needs to get tightened with a tool near the hitch receiver?

Is this the rockymount splitrail LS? Your post made me look at that model; seems like it’s lighter than the kuat/thule platforms.

How easy it to remove/install the rack from the vehicle? From my reading, it seems like the pin needs to get tightened with a tool near the hitch receiver?

HI it's the Rocky mount monorail. It is quite heavy to remove and replace. The pin is a threaded screw that is tightened.

Resurrecting older thread. This topic is causing me frustration, and it seems I’m not alone.

I have a Yakima HoldUp EVO 4 bike platform rack that is my fav rack I’ve owned. It’s just flawless for mountain bike days, both solo, with a friend, or with the kids. I ran it for 3 years on my BMW X5 problem free. Knew I’d sacrifice the tail gate which is great for any outdoor enthusiasts moving to the model Y but taking 4 of our bikes and the rack is ~198 lb when including the rack and ~ 170 lbs with three of our bikes.

If I give up the super convenient platform rack and move to a HangOver 4 style rack I can get the weight down to ~175 fully laden, with a greatly reduced moment arm, but surely horrific aerodynamics.
I literally ruled out the iPace as it couldn’t accommodate a Class II hitch and had a Max 2 bike OEM rack.

Attachments

• 6700FFAD-EE94-422E-B253-48193E5CC763.jpeg
    6700FFAD-EE94-422E-B253-48193E5CC763.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 221
The way I read it is the max load of the hitch is 160 lbs (not very much). The bike rack description says 120 lbs max load because it lists the bike rack weight as 40 lbs.

Am I missing something? Either way, it seems like - 3 bike carrier would be my max comfortable load. Kuat sells one of those.

Any update/clarification on the 120 vs 160 lb load rating? Anybody breaking anything?

Has anyone used the Teslarati hitch for their MY? $399, nicely integrated and claims to handle a 350lb tongue load.
Tesla Model Y Tow Hitch – TESLARATI Marketplace

I have the 1UP bike rack and love it. Planning to use this on a MY, hopefully soon!
Keep in mind the "hinge weight" as someone coined doesn't change. Therefore the number of bike won't change by using aftermarket. Though you will save a few bucks in you're installing it yourself. Not including the computer coding that's also needed

"computer coding that's also needed" - can you please explain that? Thanks!
Ya so if you want the car to know you're towing you need to have the SC code that in to the car. It turns off sensor and such when the trailer is plugged in. Also gives you (I think) break assist on equipped trailers. If however you're just using it for a simple bike rack, it's not needed.

Reactions: KDeanCville
Ya so if you want the car to know you're towing you need to have the SC code that in to the car. It turns off sensor and such when the trailer is plugged in. Also gives you (I think) break assist on equipped trailers. If however you're just using it for a simple bike rack, it's not needed.
In a recent reply in a related thread (which I am having difficulty locating right now) one TMCer stated that he tapped into all 7 leads to create his own custom 7-terminal trailer jack for the MY back, and after doing so Trailer Mode was automatically available without any SC intervention.

In a recent reply in a related thread (which I am having difficulty locating right now) one TMCer stated that he tapped into all 7 leads to create his own custom 7-terminal trailer jack for the MY back, and after doing so Trailer Mode was automatically available without any SC intervention.
Oh really? Interesting. Certainly makes using after market easier for sure.

I bought this adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049MTHTA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Plus this light for my bike rack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YXH8FHX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

So that I can have the trailer mode work properly and not having those alerts.

Prior to this:

If I have the trailer mode on while I have the bike rack I do not get the sensor warning since they are off but I get the red trailer icon and my blinkers go fast.

If I have it off, I have that sensor warnings.

This set up solves that.

Reactions: tk1971