Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Platform bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may have missed this somewhere....does anyone know if this is a limitation of the MY, or a limitation of the Tesla hitch....what I really want to know is if another hitch would have a different vertical load rating.

Thanks!

Reactions: omkar
I certainly do...here you go.

View attachment 586137
@RckyMtnElectrk
Just got my Kuat Base NV 2.0 rack put together. Did you have any issues with limited space for the hitch pin lock on your Model Y. The space between the receiver and electrical socket makes it nearly impossible to get the pin and lock installed.
CC75E233-F834-47DC-96AB-6CD7ECA280BB.jpeg
97B54E5A-0007-4489-BD50-BD9E5F35AEF8.jpeg

Looks like the bike rack offered on the Tesla site is back in stock (under Model X accessories). In case anyone was looking for one.
It's also now listed in the Model Y section ... and out of stock again.

An interesting note is in the description.

"Note: When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X/Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs."

So is it 120 or 160?

Reactions: TrevTremaine
@RckyMtnElectrk
Just got my Kuat Base NV 2.0 rack put together. Did you have any issues with limited space for the hitch pin lock on your Model Y. The space between the receiver and electrical socket makes it nearly impossible to get the pin and lock installed.
View attachment 587645 View attachment 587644
I’m very interested in the answer to this question as well since I ordered the Kuat NV 2.0 which I will be installing next month.

It's also now listed in the Model Y section ... and out of stock again.

An interesting note is in the description.

"Note: When carrying bicycles or other items on the Model X/Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. The Model X/Y hitch is designed to support loading of up to 120 lbs."

So is it 120 or 160?

And is it the car or the hitch that is the limiting factor? Can a 3rd party hitch take all 350# tongue weight?

We use the Thule tilt rack and it works well. The tilt allows easy access to the hatch and it has built in locks to prevent theft of the bikes or racks. I think it cost about $500 but as usual, you get what you pay for. It has worked on three different vehicles.

The platform systems look heavier than the other hitch systems. I am leaning towards the top-tube hanger style because they are lighter. Lightweight improves installation, removal, and handling; which, is important for the minimally sized garage (in accordance with city building standards). I wonder if the Tesla (Yakima) system conflicts with the proximity sensors on the rear bumper. Does anyone here know?

The platform systems look heavier than the other hitch systems. I am leaning towards the top-tube hanger style because they are lighter. Lightweight improves installation, removal, and handling; which, is important for the minimally sized garage (in accordance with city building standards). I wonder if the Tesla (Yakima) system conflicts with the proximity sensors on the rear bumper. Does anyone here know?
I think it would depend on which rack you're looking at. I had a "hanging" one from Yakima and although I never weighed it, it was pretty heavy. If it was lighter than a high end platform one, I doubt it was by much.

@RckyMtnElectrk
@BManCan This issue may be unique to the Tesla hitch, since the photos I've seen of the aftermarket Eco hitch don't have the bulky electrical socket. Based on your picture, do you have to insert the pin from the right side of the hitch and then squeeze in the lock between the receiver and the electrical socket?

Is it so difficult to get the pin in that I should order the Thule T2 Pro XT bike rack instead? I really like the Kuat NV 2.0 with the Trail Doc feature, but I might consider buying the Thule since it only requires a hook to be clipped into the side of the receiver and the key lock is more conveniently located in the center of the tightening knob.

@BManCan This issue may be unique to the Tesla hitch, since the photos I've seen of the aftermarket Eco hitch don't have the bulky electrical socket. Based on your picture, do you have to insert the pin from the right side of the hitch and then squeeze in the lock between the receiver and the electrical socket?

Is it so difficult to get the pin in that I should order the Thule T2 Pro XT bike rack instead? I really like the Kuat NV 2.0 with the Trail Doc feature, but I might consider buying the Thule since it only requires a hook to be clipped into the side of the receiver and the key lock is more conveniently located in the center of the tightening knob.

I would stick with the Kuat NV. It is very well made and looks great on the back of my new Tesla. There is no room to insert the pin from the right side as the lock would be inaccessible (might get it on, but would be impossible to insert key to unlock). I am able to insert pin from left to right but it is a bit fiddly to get it inserted. I contacted Kuat and they are sending me (no charge) a replacement locking pin that will be much easier to lock and unlock.

Original Lock
839455D6-C877-4129-91B4-039B38758A49.jpeg

Alternate Lock
B3BC2DFA-A4B5-4EDC-8D01-97243DB41488.jpeg

I would stick with the Kuat NV. It is very well made and looks great on the back of my new Tesla. There is no room to insert the pin from the right side as the lock would be inaccessible (might get it on, but would be impossible to insert key to unlock). I am able to insert pin from left to right but it is a bit fiddly to get it inserted. I contacted Kuat and they are sending me (no charge) a replacement locking pin that will be much easier to lock and unlock.
Thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear that the locking pin is workable from left to right, since I really like the look and design of the Kuat rack. Let me know how the alternate lock works after you have received it and had a chance to test it out.

I recently ordered a Model Y with the $1000 tow package.

I assumed since it's a standard 2" class 2 hitch, it has the standard 300 lb tongue weight (TW) to match the 3500 lb gross trailer weight (GTW) advertised on the order page. I did find it very odd that they never specified the TW on the order page. It's a curious omission!
I had no idea that there's a separate 160 lb TW limit for "vertical loads" such as bike racks and baskets. This makes me very angry. :mad:

I'm planning on using the hitch to mount my existing 2-bike 60 lb platform rack, and my two 65 lb e-bikes. Buying a new bike rack is not option at this point, and there's very little racks that can support two 65-lb e-bikes.
Total weight will be 60 + 65 + 65 = 190 lb, which is way over the 160 lb TW limit.

I'm going to email my Sales Advisor and ask them to clarify. I don't think its OK to find out about this after-the-fact post-delivery via reading the owners manual. What if I didn't read the owners manual front-to-back? If I didn't stumble upon here, I would've assumed the 300 lb TW and mounted the bikes, causing the entire thing to bend under load, or potentially even snapping and fall off completely. Then of course Tesla would not be liable for any of the ensuing damage as they put the small fine print in the owners manual.

Tesla needs to clearly specify this before ordering. Does anyone have a link to an official Tesla doc (that is not the owners manual) that show the 160 lb TW limit? Or even the standard TW?

Two quick points of clarification (before I get hate mail :)):

1. I'm less frustrated by the 160 lb TW limit, but rather more due to the lack of info from Tesla about it. This info should be clearly disclosed to new customers (and potential new customers during ordering).

2. In my case, I'm able to remove the battery packs on my e-bikes, which reduces the weight of each by 10 lb to 55 lb. Thus the total TW will be 60 + 55 + 55 = 170 lb, which is slightly over the 160 lb TW max. So not all hope is lost.

Here is a photo of my 1upusa rack on the Y

A few questions for everyone
The rear parking sensors pick up the rack/bikes also the rear camera is obstructed..will that affect autopilot in any way? I’m about to take a 12 hour trip today with the bikes...

Also anyone with electric bikes..do you cover them on the racks to protect from rain/water? My concern in covering is it obstructs the tail lights...I purchased a cover that has clear sections on the end to let the light passively get through..but concerned...

Btw total weight on this setup is each bike 62 pounds for 124 plus 45 on rack.. so 170 LB

6ED897B2-20E2-49F8-A42C-4C52E3FF6102.jpeg
B45AF302-5B42-4C9E-B998-3DBE18B2433C.jpeg

Here is a photo of my 1upusa rack on the Y

A few questions for everyone
The rear parking sensors pick up the rack/bikes also the rear camera is obstructed..will that affect autopilot in any way?
Also anyone with electric bikes..do you cover them on the racks to protect from rain/water?
Yes, more than likely those obstructions will affect autopilot. They certainly affect backing up, and since the rear camera and sensors are part of AP (I assume you mean FSD)...
As to the covering my e-bike, no. At least for my e-bike, rain will just help clean it off. ;)

I'm interested in getting a bike rack. When you're not using it, do you take it off and keep it in the garage? Is it easy to remove and put back on? I don't want to have it on all the time (This may be a dumb question)