Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Play [music]" voice command brings up search results and no longer starts music automatically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SDKoala

M3LR RWD / MYLR
Apr 11, 2018
San Diego
Has anyone else experienced this since V10? I'm on 32.12.2, but it's been an issue since the first V10 release.

For example, before V10, if I said "Play The Wheels On the Bus" for my kids, it would create a Slacker station called "The Wheels On The Bus Radio" and start playing children's music without any additional interaction. Since V10, what happens instead is a search result comes up on the screen, which requires attention away from the road to tap before music starts playing.

It's not just my kids' music. Every time I've tried "play [artist]" or "play [song title]" or "play [song title] by [artist]" since V10, it gives search results instead of just playing. I have not tried "play [FM station]" to see what happens. I did notice that "play [saved TuneIn podcast]" played that channel without having to tap anything, but "play [saved Slacker channel]" returned a search result. I did the obvious and reset already, but it persists. I don't have a Spotify account and have the default streaming radio (Slacker and TuneIn).

It is a "feature" of v10. I think they chose to have the search work for Spotify and it broke Slacker searches. I'm hoping it is a bug, but we'll see. I wouldn't have loaded v10 if I had seen any reports of this.

No way I'm paying for Spotify. As far as I know, those in Europe don't have to pay.

Of course I said I wouldn't pay for TV, too, back in 1975...

Same thing, quite annoying. I tried the 90 days free Spotify premium, signed in on my car, and it completely broke slacker. Couldn’t search slacker at all it would only search Spotify. I signed out of Spotify and at least I can search slacker now.

Reactions: mikelipino
I just got ver 10 today and don’t have a Spotify account but it still doesn’t play music. It loads up a search box and stops. This is a step backwards. They need to correct that bug. Or give you the option to play top search or tap a choice. I hate the extra step. I doesn’t work on any music search including FM radio. It pulls up the search box with results and stops.

This is very annoying. Also not that easy to tap on the top result - I’m tall but it’s still a bit of a reach while bouncing around a bit driving.

This is a significant backward step. It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to fix so the fact that a new major update came out and the problem persists makes me concerned this is the new normal.

This is very annoying. Also not that easy to tap on the top result - I’m tall but it’s still a bit of a reach while bouncing around a bit driving.

This is a significant backward step. It doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to fix so the fact that a new major update came out and the problem persists makes me concerned this is the new normal.
Exactly. A simple solution would be to allow a completed search to take place in the service you’re using. Ex. If I’m on my USB playing music and I do a search for a song or artist that search should be done on my USB only. If I’m on Slacker then it should take place on that application. Same goes for Spotify. If I’m on the web browser then it should only search there and complete my search. It’s not true VC if you have to use touch to complete the search. Definitely a step backwards in technology.

Reactions: CharleyBC
Same thing, quite annoying. I tried the 90 days free Spotify premium, signed in on my car, and it completely broke slacker. Couldn’t search slacker at all it would only search Spotify. I signed out of Spotify and at least I can search slacker now.

Thank you! I thought the V10 update broke search completely, as a search would bring up only podcasts and caraoke and the occasional artist which didn't seem to work. I logged out of Spotify and at least I can search Slacker again.

I had this problem since version 10. I got tired of waiting or a software update to fix it and contacted Tesla support. After working with them for days they finally fixed it.

If you contact support ask them to do what my tech finally did. This is what they said they did to fix it.

"The engineering team found that there was a Spotify account stuck within the computer system. They were able to delete it and reboot the vehicle's system in order to get the artist search function back up."

Hope this saves someone some time....

I had this problem since version 10. I got tired of waiting or a software update to fix it and contacted Tesla support. After working with them for days they finally fixed it.

If you contact support ask them to do what my tech finally did. This is what they said they did to fix it.

"The engineering team found that there was a Spotify account stuck within the computer system. They were able to delete it and reboot the vehicle's system in order to get the artist search function back up."

Hope this saves someone some time....

Thank's for the tip. My GF has the search issue but has never had a Spotify account ever. Odd.

Unfortunately I had just finished the Spotify premium trial and had the same results as I think have been happening here.... Has anybody tried to factory reset the car or had anything else successfully fix this? It's harder to deal with the service center with Covid, but I may have to go in.....