Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Played on the highway: 30mi under 200 Wh/mi

jeffnhelen

Nov 10, 2018
Texas
Took a trip down to Downtown Austin - a 150mi round trip with about 160mi starting range - and wanted to see how efficient I could go to try and prevent SC’ing. On the trip down I was able to get a 30mi average down to 225Wh/mi with total trip at 281Wh/mi by drafting behind a semi for a good portion of the highway drive.
For the return leg it said I needed to stay under 65MPH to get home with 5% battery. I wanted to try and see if I could do any better...here is what happened:
View media item 120422View media item 120423This was again drafting behind a semi, but not in range mode and still had the AC on because it was almost 90* outside. Changes in elevation of the 60mi trip also made it difficult to get the total average down - and as I didn’t get a pic of that I can assume that it would be in the 225Wh/mi range for the full 65 mile drive.
Will make this trip again in a couple weeks so curious what Range mode and AC off would allow it to get down to.
Here is what TezLab shows, but I averaged between 65-70mph on the actual highway.
12D5B5D3-52D2-4900-82D0-F01626C76574.png

• Funny
Reactions: forkee

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
that's some commendable hypermiling. the lowest i can get is about 370 wh/mi
I'm not even seeing that at under 35 mph avg...Looked this morning and noticed that I used up 80 miles of range to go a whopping 42 miles (1 week of driving back and forth to work). Usage has been at around 450-470 Wh/mi, this is in chill mode. Avg commute is about 3 miles each way.

forkee

Jul 20, 2018
Southern California
I'm not even seeing that at under 35 mph avg...Looked this morning and noticed that I used up 80 miles of range to go a whopping 42 miles (1 week of driving back and forth to work). Usage has been at around 450-470 Wh/mi, this is in chill mode. Avg commute is about 3 miles each way.

same here. work is less than 2 miles away and on average im at 500 wh/mi. the longer the commute, the better the efficiency. along with the nightly phantom drain and daily AC usage to keep climate under 110 (park under the sun all day), i only get about 90 miles per full "tank" if i let it go down to 10%.

Qbenjamin

Frugal But Classy!
Jan 7, 2017
Bravos
same here. work is less than 2 miles away and on average im at 500 wh/mi. the longer the commute, the better the efficiency. along with the nightly phantom drain and daily AC usage to keep climate under 110 (park under the sun all day), i only get about 90 miles per full "tank" if i let it go down to 10%.
Gotcha. I know I'm not alone with the less than impressive range of the older 90 battery packs. Car is still amazing to drive every time I get in it!

jeffnhelen

Nov 10, 2018
Texas
Gotcha. I know I'm not alone with the less than impressive range of the older 90 battery packs. Car is still amazing to drive every time I get in it!
Oh don’t think this is anywhere near what historically the car has done the last 10 months we’ve had it. The car says we are averaging ~340Wh/mi lifetime, but when I actually calculate the mileage we are averaging closer to 440Wh/mi and average about 120 miles using 90%-10% of the 75kW battery.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC