Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing Blu-Ray and DVD Disks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience playing Blu-ray movies through a player hooked up via USB port? I just took delivery of a 2021 Tesla model three made February of this year. I don’t see any post about Blu-ray movie playing through a USB port. Any experience is helpful thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 213
Takes a LOT more than a USB plug to play a BD or DVD. Tesla's OS doesn't have drivers, DRM decoders, codecs or a software player with setup menus and physical ability to decode pits.

So you will have about as much luck hooking a BD/DVD player as you would connecting a USB printer/scanner or a Mouse.:eek::D:D:D

Last edited:
So you will have about as much luck hooking a BD/DVD player as you would connecting a USB printer/scanner or a Mouse.:eek::D:D:D

I'll agree to your statement about the printer/scanner, but Tesla OS supports (or at least used to support) mice. Before the Tesla smartphone app supported the capability, some people would use a USB mouse to grant control of the music player to people in the back seat.

To rip DVD discs on the computer, I use Handbrake. If you add the libdvdcss library to your computer, Handbrake can directly decrypt the video directly off the DVD. Without that, you would need a separate DVD decryption tool.

To rip Blu-Ray discs on the computer, I use MakeMKV to decrypt the Matroska video file on the disc. This creates a .mkv file that can then be run through Handbrake to make a more manageable size file by converting it to MPEG-4.

After the video is pulled off the DVD/Blu-Ray, you can name it with the Plex Media Server naming convention to have Plex automatically scrape the Movie or TV Episode details from the Internet and then view the video on any of your personal devices. I have not tried streaming them to the Tesla, but @rincewind says that works fine.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Does anyone have experience playing Blu-ray movies through a player hooked up via USB port? I just took delivery of a 2021 Tesla model three made February of this year. I don’t see any post about Blu-ray movie playing through a USB port. Any experience is helpful thank you

There arent any posts about this because its not at all supported. You would need to do something like @rincewind appears to have done, which is setup a home server, transcode or otherwise get your movies into a digital format, then stream them.

You are not going to plug in any portable dvd player / blueray player etc and see that on your tesla screen, its not going to happen. You CAN however, subscribe to netflix and stream movies from netflix on your screen, either using the cars data connection if you have premium connectivity, or using some devices such as your phone as a hotspot for data if you dont have premium connectivity.

I have premium connectivity. Do you just run plex via the internet option on the screen? Is there a good youtube video you would recommend on how to do that?

Thank you!

People on here making it sound like it's plug and play. Setting up a plex server at home is a long rabbit hole that you might not want to go down if you are not tech/computer savy.

Reactions: Kevy Baby and Krash
People on here making it sound like it's plug and play. Setting up a plex server at home is a long rabbit hole that you might not want to go down if you are not tech/computer savy.
True, but when I was running it on my Windows 10 PC it wasn't hard to set up (though I am computer literate). When it comes to moving it to a NAS it becomes a bit more intense, but once set up works a dream. I've had mine on a Synology NAS for over 2 years now and it just works, all I do is install updates every once in a while.