Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing iPhone podcast through car, exit, and it automatically resumes upon return: preventable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I searched for a thread about this, as I think this has been discussed, but it's hard to know what words to search for, and I didn't find one.

Scenario: iPhone is connected to the car, driving along playing a podcast on the phone through the car audio system. Stop, pause the podcast either via the phone or the center display, exit and walk away. Upon returning to the car, podcast automatically resumes a few seconds after sitting down in the car.

So okay, maybe that can be considered a convenience, but I would prefer to start the podcast manually when I chose to, not have it just start up on its own. However, that doesn't seem to be possible. Comments? Thanks.

One workaround is, instead of pausing the podcast, change your source from Phone to one of the other selections (TuneIn, Streaming, Radio). When you return, the podcast will remain paused on your phone.

I think it has do to with the Bluetooth reconnection and the fact that the media source is on Phone.

• Informative
Reactions: emchen
I have this same issue with audiobooks on my Kindle / Audible app on iOS. My solution is to force close the app instead of pausing it (by double clicking the home button and then swiping up the app to kill it). It works perfectly. This also prevents the other situation I had where sometimes when the car's bluetooth disconnected from the phone it caused whatever I was listening to to begin playing from the phone's speaker in my pocket.

I also usually swipe the volume on the radio down to mute using the scroll wheel, just so that if something does start playing automatically you can't hear it. This is useful for those occasions when the car randomly selects gangster rap and starts blasting it while I'm trying to get the kids in their car seats which happened a couple of times.