Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing Movie on the Touchscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't AP1 software run on the console processor?

If that's true, it's also likely the current AP2 software is also running on the console processor right now.

Rooting the console processor would seem like a bad idea...

AP1 uses MobilEye EyeQ3 processor which is not shared with Multimedia functions of the console processor.

AP2 uses nVidia Drive PX2 AI computing platform which does not share with the central console processor either.

Reactions: Tesl-anonymous
AP1 chip picture:

Tesla-Mobileye-EyeQ3-chip-detail.jpg

AP2 chip is enclosed in a box at your glove box as shown in the thread:

FIRST PICTURES - Tesla Autopilot 2.0 ECU (Nvidia PX 2)

full

If owners want to play with the infotainment system, they need to access nVidia Tegra 3 in the central console:

NVIDIATegraVCM.jpg

Cars makers including Tesla do isolate their infotainment system from propulsion system.

That way, you can reboot the central console 17" display and the propulsion system including braking, steering, accelerating.. still work fine.

AP1 uses MobilEye EyeQ3 processor which is not shared with Multimedia functions of the console processor.

AP2 uses nVidia Drive PX2 AI computing platform which does not share with the central console processor either.

AP1 chip picture:

Tesla-Mobileye-EyeQ3-chip-detail.jpg

AP2 chip is enclosed in a box at your glove box as shown in the thread:

FIRST PICTURES - Tesla Autopilot 2.0 ECU (Nvidia PX 2)

full

If owners want to play with the infotainment system, they need to access nVidia Tegra 3 in the central console:

NVIDIATegraVCM.jpg

Cars makers including Tesla do isolate their infotainment system from propulsion system.

That way, you can reboot the central console 17" display and the propulsion system including braking, steering, accelerating.. still work fine.

You seem to have extended knowledge in the domain, is it silly to wonder if an "all in 1" solution for non-tech people would be possible/available to get the car rooted, and thus, allowing the video playing on the CID?

what kind of video input? Would you detail a bit the procedure? how do you control your videos?

Do a search on this board. There was someone selling a multiple camera switch. You disconnect the camera input and plug the camera wire into the switch box and plug switch box back to the original connection and it leaves you another composite input for a front camera or any video device.

..."all in 1" solution for non-tech people...

It is a skill that you can learn.

For example, if you forgot your house key, a locksmith could open your door in seconds.

It is not hard for a locksmith but it is a challenge for the public if we haven't learned the skills.

Hacking into your Tesla is very easy as long as someone is willing to show you how.

The problem is: There's no class teaching us how to do it.

I certainly don't know how.

Thus, for your question, sorry, the chance is very slim.

...standard video inputs...

A good alternative is to plug in your movie source into Tesla video input. However, the video signal compatibility might be a problem. Tesla does not work with video signal from other cameras except the one from Tesla only.

Once you work out the video signal compatibility, you need to work out the audio compatibility.

My recommendation is to get a Bluetooth dvd player/laptop: You can watch on that separate screen and listen to your car stereo paired with the Bluetooth.

Do a search on this board. There was someone selling a multiple camera switch. You disconnect the camera input and plug the camera wire into the switch box and plug switch box back to the original connection and it leaves you another composite input for a front camera or any video device.

Not gonna happen. The video is transmitted using a gigabit multimedia serial link, not some common signal. You'd need to get a a Maxwell serialize chip and build your own custom board to be able to splice into it. Even then you might run into trouble, as there is some other data passed along the same link that you'd have to somehow mimic.

I wasn't thinking into that way, more rooting the car, to get access and control your movie like we saw in the video, I'm still wondering how he can actually put the movie into playing as there's no proper folder to access your files

It is a skill that you can learn.

For example, if you forgot your house key, a locksmith could open your door in seconds.

It is not hard for a locksmith but it is a challenge for the public if we haven't learned the skills.

Hacking into your Tesla is very easy as long as someone is willing to show you how.

The problem is: There's no class teaching us how to do it.

I certainly don't know how.

Thus, for your question, sorry, the chance is very slim.

I'm definitely willing to learn, I've already learned quite a lot and don't worry i'm not just looking for the easy-lazy way haha
It's more about discovering the whole process and gain knowledge, looking by the number of answers on the thread there're plenty of people in this case, I mean isn't it exciting to HACK your CAR and see what's hiding behind the scene?

My only concern about rooting the car, IF one day a solution is available (kinda like a mobile jailbreak) I just hope that it will not open the pandora's box later on for vunerabilites...

....pandora's box later on for vunerabilites...

I wouldn't recommend the practice to amateurs without proper professional supervision because messing around with programming codes can get the whole 17" display go dead.

On the other hand, Tesla is very secured.

Rooting the infotainment system requires you to be physically there at the car.

You have to physically disassemble various parts to get to a cable or two.

You will need to run your password generator to guess a correct one for rooting.

It's physically time consuming at the crime scene so it's more practical to flat tow the whole car to a hackers den.

So I wouldn't worry about vulnerabilities.

I wouldn't recommend the practice to amateurs without proper professional supervision because messing around with programming codes can get the whole 17" display go dead.

On the other hand, Tesla is very secured.

Rooting the infotainment system requires you to be physically there at the car.

You have to physically disassemble various parts to get to a cable or two.

You will need to run your password generator to guess a correct one for rooting.

It's physically time consuming at the crime scene so it's more practical to flat tow the whole car to a hackers den.

So I wouldn't worry about vulnerabilities.

that's why an in depth step by step tutorial done by a professional would be nice, that would both guide us and limit the error margin..
After all if you decide you root your car that's only the owner's responsability if he's killing his CID

yeah but imagine in the future a "jailbroken" all in hand root app/software comes on the market by a 3rd party. Wouldn't it be possible to gain access to the car over the air later on once they are rooted?

There isn't a step-by-step to root the car. It's non-trivial. At a high level, it's:
1) Pull the dashboard apart and grab the cable between the dash display and the center display.
2) Custom make your own cable that converts both of those to ethernet.
3) Run a hub between them and plug your laptop in.
4) Grab the ssh keys from the center console (by pulling the SD card out) and use those to shell into the dash display.
5) Grab the token from the dash display that it uses to communicate to the center display.
6) Do some magic that nobody has detailed yet publicly to get the ssh keys to the center display out of the dash display.
7) Now shell into the center display.
8) Setup X11 so you can overlay your own windows on the displays.
9) Profit.

Reactions: Tesl-anonymous
There isn't a step-by-step to root the car. It's non-trivial. At a high level, it's:
1) Pull the dashboard apart and grab the cable between the dash display and the center display.
2) Custom make your own cable that converts both of those to ethernet.
3) Run a hub between them and plug your laptop in.
4) Grab the ssh keys from the center console (by pulling the SD card out) and use those to shell into the dash display.
5) Grab the token from the dash display that it uses to communicate to the center display.
6) Do some magic that nobody has detailed yet publicly to get the ssh keys to the center display out of the dash display.
7) Now shell into the center display.
8) Setup X11 so you can overlay your own windows on the displays.
9) Profit.

Thx, yeah that's what Tam provided from the other guy so that's more at an experimental stage for the moment. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope to see one day a fully automated process to root the car. If such project would happen I'm willing to support it financially