TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Playing Songs on Model 3 .?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mikeva, Jun 5, 2018.

1. mikeva

mikeva Member

I do have a spotify account but thinking of cancelling it after seeing a video on youtube that you can actually voice command the model 3 to play a certain songs for you but I'm not sure that you need subscription or it only plays what you have on your phone ? Any information will be appreciated

2. oakvillemike

oakvillemike Member

I believe I've read other posts and seen vids about certain songs being able to be played by voice command. I've tried it and it's kinda hit or miss with Slacker Radio - it tends to look for a streaming radio channel by the name of the song you're trying to play. Don't see an option to use Spotify within the native system and haven't tried using Spotify with my phone connected, though.

3. bpjod

bpjod Member

You can use Spotify with your phone over BlueTooth.

The in car streaming service is Slacker Radio. The Tesla subscription is equivalent to their Plus subscription. Upgrading to the Premium package gets you the ability to play music offline (on your phone, not on your Tesla) and the ability to play music On Demand. So, with a Premium account you get to listen to the song you request. With the account that comes with your car you may get the song you request, else you may get a different song by the same artist or a playlist seeded by the song you requested. The Premium is also your account, so you get to keep it as well as all your favourited songs and created playlists when you give up the car. You can also play them on your other devices capable of streaming music from Slacker.

4. yyzunderdog

yyzunderdog Member

Is the account name as password your tesla account and password?

5. Buggle

Buggle Member

Do you know if we get a discount given we've already got a Tesla subscription? Or do we need to create a new account and pay them the $10/month? I'm kind of annoyed Tesla packaged what appears to really be a bit of a crap service. Either give us something proper, or allow us to choose what we want & run it on the onboard system.

6. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

Sorry for that comments. Between US cellular provider, Slaker, and Tesla , there must be a deal, so Tesla could be cost effective LTE streaming music for free to their customers. In Canada, Tesla costs are even more that I believe as they are doing roaming data.

If Tesla opens option for streaming music from another music streaming provider, that may mean we also need to pay our own data service from the car. I do believe that price tag is not that we can absorb.

Btw, I forget Tesla is using AT&T or T-Mobile for their cellular data service?

7. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

Ok Silly question, how do you tune in AM radio?

8. Veedio

Veedio Member

Simple (but silly) answer. You can't. M3 doesn't have AM for some reason.

• Helpful x 1
  9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

For me it has been like magic. I ask for a song and 90% of the time it starts to play even pretty obscure songs. No extra fees or accounts it just works which has been nice. And as someone said no AM radio.

• Like x 1
  10. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

WTF.....Its going back now I am returning it.

Just kidding. need to use Tuned in then for the stations I like.

• Funny x 1
  11. Munch

Munch Member

The premium speakers are very much wasted in my car. It's either on 680 news or children's music.

12. oakvillemike

oakvillemike Member

But hey, imagine the bass on breaking news! Worth it!

• Funny x 2
  13. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

So for AM radio you just use tune in radio?

14. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

If you want say, 680, just search on streaming and then heart it to your favourites.

• Informative x 1
  15. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Same with 590 and 1010?

16. darkenergy

darkenergy Member

yes, both. Although there are several 1010 :)