Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playing USB-C Connected Audio Files on a 2022 M3... VERY CONFUSING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone please help me understand what is going on here?

One of the most important features for me to have in a car is a great audio system. However, I must say I'm less than impressed with the one that comes with the 2022 M3 LR. It's not so much about the sound quality, which I think is pretty good (not great though)- It's more about the lack of format compatibility.

For starters, and admittedly I might be the exception, I don't put music files on my cellphone. I instead have separate, dedicated devices for this, such as several iPod's. Now I already know Tesla does not presently support these devices through the USB-C ports, which leaves only the Bluetooth option. Why this is the case, beats the heck out of me! Every other vehicle I've owned in the past 10 or so years played these audio devices without issue.

The big problem (today) with this is Tesla's Bluetooth configuration only allows one connection at a time, and having my cellphone being that one device (since hands-free phone calling/receiving is critical and legally required) means having to manually switch over to the iPod without the cellphone usage, doesn't work for me.

And...the main reason why I decided to reach out today to my fellow travelers- The M3 User Manual from back a month or so ago said, and I quote (from page 134) "Media Player supports USB Flash Drives with FAT32 formatting. NTFS and exFAT are not currently supported". That's really not good folks (i.e.- terrible) since FAT32 drives only go up to 32G's.

But then today, after an upgrade to the software, the new manual reads "Media Player supports USB flash drives with exFAT formatting (NTFS is not currently supported). HUH?? So which is it? Is FAT32 no longer supported or is it now both? CONFUSING!!!

Another issue has to do with the two USB-C ports. It seems only one of the two ports can be used at the same time. In other words, if there's a Flash Drive in the left one, you cannot see the right one if it too has a Flash Drive.

Last item- How do you disconnect these Flash Drives without corrupting them? On a PC, you have the "Safely Remove Hardware..." feature. Does anyone know?

Sorry for the long diatribe- It's been that kind of day.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you started this in Northwest. I took delivery of my M3 in April '21, and it has always supported exFAT. I have an SSD with 186GB of music that works well. Mostly 16/44 FLAC, but some 24/96 and 24/192, and a handful of WMA and M4A.

Tesla does a horrid job of interpreting the tags in the music. Unless you're willing to retag your files you're probably going to be frustrated with it. I've built tools to do that for me, and I find that it works well. Even then the UI for navigation leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm not bothered as much as some.

Here's some threads where you'll find more info about how the car interprets metadata. There are more, perhaps in the future you can search before creating a new thread.

According to the manual in my MY (delivered Jan. 8) as of November 2021, data capability of the USB C ports was discontinued. Since my phone (A Pixel 3) is quite full and won't take a microSD card, I found that I can use a USB OTG drive to give me the storage I need. In order to utilize this and still take advantage of wireless charging, I had to buy a right angle USB C to USB A adapter (if you have a USB drive with a USB C plug, you might need a right angle USB C to USB C adapter) and place the phone with the USB port at the top. Unfortunately, the screen won't rotate that far, but everything else seems to work so far. When you plug the USB drive in select Files by Google to Explore the drive. Solid Explorer only allows you to play one file at a time, and Android doesn't allow media players to access a USB drive. This may not work with larger phones - the Pixel 3 is a 5.5 in display.

Can someone please help me understand what is going on here?
You can update your center usb-c to support data (music, game., controllers) . use the forum search in model Y area and you’ll find the thread. I did it in my 2022 Model y, love playing my favorite music off usb as flac or high quality mp3.

some said this still works on 2023 but I’d contact the company too. Below is a link. Abstract ocean also sells a kit.