TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Playlists on USB?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by jlpicardq, Jul 4, 2018.

1. jlpicardq

jlpicardq New Member

I've had two cars with playlists-on-USB that treat the files very differently. My Infiniti treated a folder of music as a playlist, while my wife's BMW requires a playlist file (can't remember the extension, but could export from iTunes). Does anyone know how a Tesla recognizes playlist files? I searched Google, and these forums, but couldn't find any thread regarding playlists. Forgive me if this has already been discussed, and if so please point me to the right thread. I'd like to plan ahead, and have it ready when my car is finally delivered. Thank you!

2. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Create folders to replicate your iTunes playlist. They show up on the M3 and act just like playlist only they are called folders.

3. Fudd

Fudd Member

So, to be clear, I just need to put music in folders, name the folders, and the software will allow your to play the folders as a playlist? If so, much easier than BMW. That's awesome, thank you!

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

I tried this. The computer insisted on putting the songs in alphabetical order, so they played out of order. Super-annoying because I listen to classical music, so each movement of a piece is regarded as a "song" but played out of order.

I solved it by selecting "Album" instead of "Folder" and this way it plays the movements in the order they are on the album.

But what annoys the hell out of me is that 75% of the time the car forgets what music source I was using, and if I select the same album, it forgets where I was in the album. I'd like to be able to take some audio books for my road trip, but I'd need the damn car to remember my place in the book. Sometimes the car just starts playing from my phone, regardless of what I was listening to the previous time. When this happens it usually picks a playlist apparently at random from my music app, but I also have some YouTube videos downloaded on to the phone, and once it decided to play one of those.

COME ON, TESLA!!! FIX THE DAMN MUSIC FUNCTION!!! It can't be all that hard to remember what source was being played and where it was in the source.

• Like x 1
  5. RDoc

RDoc S85D

This sort of thing has been complained about for many years. Tesla seems to have no interest whatsoever in improving the media center software.

6. daniel

daniel Active Member

Grump!!! :mad:

7. RTPGiants

RTPGiants Member

Tesla should open source the media control stuff and allow people to submit pull requests. Seems like a non-critical system that the public could help to improve.

• Like x 2
  8. sduck

sduck Member

I could write a novel about how bad the USB interface is. It's some serious amateur hour stuff. At least tesla support responds positively when I bug them about it. Which I intend to do after each and every update where things aren't fixed. I urge everyone to do the same - squeaky wheel and all that.

• Like x 1
  9. Fudd

Fudd Member

I imagine when a half million of these are on the road, you're going to have more sqeaky wheels. They'll eventually address it... Probably too busy with other things right now (like actually building the cars!) :)

10. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Positively like "We're intending to address this in the v9 software update"?

Or positively like "You're right! It really DOES sucks!"

11. daniel

daniel Active Member

I would have thought that the people working on the software are not the same people working on building the cars. Perhaps I am entirely wrong and the programmers get shifted from one area to another. But if I'm right, then the difficulties getting the cars built should not impinge on getting the software right.

Music in the car is not critical, but it's such an important part of the overall driving experience that getting it right would greatly improve owner happiness with the car.

• Like x 1
  12. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

Would putting a 2-digit track number at the beginning of each filename solve the problem?

13. daniel

daniel Active Member

Yes, but once I discovered that selecting Album instead of Folder solved it, I didn't bother going through and altering all the file names.

14. sduck

sduck Member

No, in folder view it uses the name inside the tag to sort things. If you prepend the name in the tag with the number that'll work, but it's a bit more work to add that.

15. sduck

sduck Member

What they said was that they've gotten this complaint a lot, and have forwarded it to the appropriate software engineers. No promises.

16. Fudd

Fudd Member

Can you tell us to whom we should write/complain? Perhaps the more people complain the greater chance it will be addressed...

17. sduck

sduck Member

I just used the support email link on my account page. You could also try the bug report voice command, or tweeting stuff at Elon, although you never know if that kind of thing is actually doing any good.