Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Playlists on USB?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had two cars with playlists-on-USB that treat the files very differently. My Infiniti treated a folder of music as a playlist, while my wife's BMW requires a playlist file (can't remember the extension, but could export from iTunes). Does anyone know how a Tesla recognizes playlist files? I searched Google, and these forums, but couldn't find any thread regarding playlists. Forgive me if this has already been discussed, and if so please point me to the right thread. I'd like to plan ahead, and have it ready when my car is finally delivered. Thank you!

So, to be clear, I just need to put music in folders, name the folders, and the software will allow your to play the folders as a playlist? If so, much easier than BMW. That's awesome, thank you!

Create folders to replicate your iTunes playlist. They show up on the M3 and act just like playlist only they are called folders.

I tried this. The computer insisted on putting the songs in alphabetical order, so they played out of order. Super-annoying because I listen to classical music, so each movement of a piece is regarded as a "song" but played out of order.

I solved it by selecting "Album" instead of "Folder" and this way it plays the movements in the order they are on the album.

But what annoys the hell out of me is that 75% of the time the car forgets what music source I was using, and if I select the same album, it forgets where I was in the album. I'd like to be able to take some audio books for my road trip, but I'd need the damn car to remember my place in the book. Sometimes the car just starts playing from my phone, regardless of what I was listening to the previous time. When this happens it usually picks a playlist apparently at random from my music app, but I also have some YouTube videos downloaded on to the phone, and once it decided to play one of those.

COME ON, TESLA!!! FIX THE DAMN MUSIC FUNCTION!!! It can't be all that hard to remember what source was being played and where it was in the source.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I could write a novel about how bad the USB interface is. It's some serious amateur hour stuff. At least tesla support responds positively when I bug them about it. Which I intend to do after each and every update where things aren't fixed. I urge everyone to do the same - squeaky wheel and all that.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I could write a novel about how bad the USB interface is. It's some serious amateur hour stuff. At least tesla support responds positively when I bug them about it. Which I intend to do after each and every update where things aren't fixed. I urge everyone to do the same - squeaky wheel and all that.

I imagine when a half million of these are on the road, you're going to have more sqeaky wheels. They'll eventually address it... Probably too busy with other things right now (like actually building the cars!) :)

I imagine when a half million of these are on the road, you're going to have more sqeaky wheels. They'll eventually address it... Probably too busy with other things right now (like actually building the cars!) :)

I would have thought that the people working on the software are not the same people working on building the cars. Perhaps I am entirely wrong and the programmers get shifted from one area to another. But if I'm right, then the difficulties getting the cars built should not impinge on getting the software right.

Music in the car is not critical, but it's such an important part of the overall driving experience that getting it right would greatly improve owner happiness with the car.

Reactions: Fudd
I tried this. The computer insisted on putting the songs in alphabetical order, so they played out of order. Super-annoying because I listen to classical music, so each movement of a piece is regarded as a "song" but played out of order.

Would putting a 2-digit track number at the beginning of each filename solve the problem?

Heyas, New here. Picking up my M3 in two weeks and trying to get music ready.

When you say "select album instead of folder" so that the playlists play in the correct order, what do you mean? Is there an interface option when using a USB to choose between the two?

When I select Folder, the car puts the titles in alphabetical order. I listen to classical music where a musical work consists of several movements, and I want to listen to them in their proper order. Alphabetizing the track names, puts the tracks out of their proper order. But if I select Album, then the car plays the tracks in the order they were in the album.

The effect of this is that I cannot create playlists and have them play in the order I want. I can live with this since the Album choice plays them in their proper order. Another solution would be to re-name the tracks so that alphabetical order puts them in the order you want, but that's more bother than I'm willing to do since Album accomplishes what I want.

When you open the Music screen, it will ask you for the source you want to play, and if that's the USB stick, it will ask whether you want to choose Albums or Folders (not sure offhand what other choices). You can also listen from your phone, in which case it will find the most recent audio program you were using on your phone and play from that, but there seems no way to choose a playlist or album, just move forward or back. I have not tried it since getting v9 of the firmware, so I don't know if any of this has changed. Lately I've been listening to the streaming audio instead of my own music on the USB stick.

Last edited:
Darn, I thought this meant by choosing Album it would play my Playlist in the order I want. Not sure I'm up for renaming files to put them in the right order.

However my wife and I have a 3 hour drive after we pick the car up, so it might be fun to make a special Playlist!