Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaza Inn, Ashland Oregon. Any info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Thinking about taking my wife to Ashland for a long weekend for our anniversary this summer. I see that the Plaza Inn is part of the Destination Charging program. Has anyone stayed there? Is it any good? How about proximity to the Shakespere Festival? Other ideas of where to stay?

- TIA

This will be the third summer my wife and two other couples will spend a week at the Plaza Inn. We like the hotel quite a bit. It is exceptionally close to the three theaters at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and is a short walk to several nice restaurants.

I purchased my Model S last year and at that time contacted their manager Gulled Mohamud and got him in touch with the destination charging people at Tesla. Gulled is a great guy and very EV friendly. Two wall chargers were quickly installed in the basement level of their parking garage (the hotel is built above it).
My only complaint is that the drive way down to the lower level is narrow and steep. There is enough room to get in and back out safely but the ultrasound proximity detectors on my car were very unhappy with how close I was to the wall.

This will be the third summer my wife and two other couples will spend a week at the Plaza Inn. We like the hotel quite a bit. It is exceptionally close to the three theaters at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and is a short walk to several nice restaurants.

I purchased my Model S last year and at that time contacted their manager Gulled Mohamud and got him in touch with the destination charging people at Tesla. Gulled is a great guy and very EV friendly. Two wall chargers were quickly installed in the basement level of their parking garage (the hotel is built above it).
My only complaint is that the drive way down to the lower level is narrow and steep. There is enough room to get in and back out safely but the ultrasound proximity detectors on my car were very unhappy with how close I was to the wall.

Wonderful! Thank you for encouraging the hotel to get on board with EV charging!

Do you have any advice as to which type of room we should rent? They seem to have about 6 different room types. I may have to pick your brain about where to eat. I'd like to make some dinner reservations at least so we don't end up wandering around looking for a decent place all evening.

We've only stayed in their Deluxe rooms with King bed. Very comfortable.

Within two blocks:
The Black Sheep Pub: a good reproduction of a British pub. Can be somewhat greasy (just like the real thing).
The Greenleaf and next door Salame: nice places for lunch. Eat outside next to Lithia creek

Within three blocks:
Montoni's upstairs: had a very nice Italian meal there. Its right at the entrance of the Angus Bowmer Theater so will be very busy 5:30-6:45

Within five blocks:
Amuse (french restaurant): Lovely food and service. Eating again there this year.

A short drive away:
Cucina Biazzi: My favorite Italian restaurant in Ashland (however based only one visit)

Enjoy!

I go to Ashland regularly!
The Plaza Inn is very nice but I'm a little cheap and stay next door at the Bard's Inn.
The location is great. You can go to a play at night and walk back to your room in either hotel.

Ashland restaurant scene is quite good. You can pretty much pick the food you like and eat there -- not very many duds. My taste is quite different from webbbcam's ... I avoid Italian restaurants (so easy to make at home and boring). Almost all the places in town are good and a fair amount of emphasis on healthy, organic and vegetarian fare.

I did check out the charging station at the Plaza - they are in the downstairs part of the garage, which is a bit of a dicey curve.
There is also a Chargepoint station in the downtown lot.

We stayed there last fall. Nice hotel, convenient to the shops and restaurants. However, the ramp to the lower level parking is very tight. I found out just how wide the MS is with that ramp.

We actually had to street park the first night because there was a truck that backed into a parking spot adjacent to the ramp and prevented people from entering the lower level. The front desk made sure it didn't happen the next night.

I second the Cucina Biazzi!

I was thinking we'd drive the Model X because it has autopilot and my Model S does not. If the Model S had a hard time getting into the garage I can't imagine the X would be easier!

Now all we have to do it agree on which play we're going to to see.... ;)

There's also a Chademo at the south end of town to use. The Caldera Brewpub which is adjacent has great Mahi Mahi burgers as well as a good brew selection. Across the street are Mix (really good sweets and coffee) and the Greenleaf (an Ashland favorite for casual and healthy food).

Great place to stay! That parking garage though, yikes. So narrow, take it VERY slow when heading down there. I am amazed that our Model S fit, at times it all 4 corners of my parking sensors were going off!
There is also an absolute killer Thai place within walking distance called Thai Pepper. It was so fantastic. Enjoy outdoor seating during the summer near the river, just fantastic! Thai Pepper, Ashland - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

There's also a Chademo at the south end of town to use. The Caldera Brewpub which is adjacent has great Mahi Mahi burgers as well as a good brew selection. Across the street are Mix (really good sweets and coffee) and the Greenleaf (an Ashland favorite for casual and healthy food).

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely throw the chademo adaptor into the car.

Great place to stay! That parking garage though, yikes. So narrow, take it VERY slow when heading down there. I am amazed that our Model S fit, at times it all 4 corners of my parking sensors were going off!
There is also an absolute killer Thai place within walking distance called Thai Pepper. It was so fantastic. Enjoy outdoor seating during the summer near the river, just fantastic! Thai Pepper, Ashland - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Kind of makes me wonder if I should bring the Model S. It doesn't have autopilot and it doesn't have parking sensors though.

Just reporting back. We had a wonderful meal at a place called Scarpetta that's right on main street. I'm sure there were other great meals but that one was really awesome. We went to several wineries in the area: Cow Horn, Daisy Creek, Follin and Dancin.

You guys were NOT kidding about the ramps in and out of the lower garage level being tight. WOW. I learned that if I swung the car wide right at the entrances and used the parking sensors I was okay. I'm glad we took the X because the S doesn't have the sensors and it would have been impossible.

Scarpetta is a new place in that used to be the Pita Pit , thanks for the tip!

I think (but don't remember I might have walked over there) driving my S without parking sensors down that ramp to check out the charging. It is a little insane of a parking structure.

Just reporting back. We had a wonderful meal at a place called Scarpetta that's right on main street. I'm sure there were other great meals but that one was really awesome. We went to several wineries in the area: Cow Horn, Daisy Creek, Follin and Dancin.

You guys were NOT kidding about the ramps in and out of the lower garage level being tight. WOW. I learned that if I swung the car wide right at the entrances and used the parking sensors I was okay. I'm glad we took the X because the S doesn't have the sensors and it would have been impossible.