Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plea for Moderation in Investing and Posting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this post Flux. I'm guilty myself of what you've outlined in your OP, and I'm happy that someone has been able to bring this to the forum's attention in an extremely civil manner. Another reason why this forum's community is a notch above many.

I am glad collectively this forum is dealing with this recent disturbing trend. I myself was busy adding people to blacklist till the point I can't manage. :cool: Too many newcomers jump on the board, declare he or she is long on TSLA, and now TSLA has to go up because whatever reason.

Now that there are many good points alrady shared here, one thing I may add is other than serious discussion on the stock movement, there is an entertaining value of this thread. Well that is on the basis most if not all i participants are making sound investment decision and making money consistently, otherwise people would feel lost and stupid, and no mood to entertain.

There are days when stock does not move much, however one can still feel good coming here because there is no shortage of dramas center around TSLA, its owners and investors.

So I would say: Add value, and take it easy!

Can’t you just split this thread into two from now on. One thread where things can be more social with posts like "come on lets finish the day at $185", and another where everything that isn’t pure quality gets moved to some ‘random chit-chat’ kind of thread.

Just a suggestion.
Which is exactly what happened last night.

Chatty discussions go here: Short Term Social Chat

Pithy discussion about TSLA value belong either here: Short-Term TSLA Price Movements
or here: Long-Term Fundamentals of Tesla Motors

Discussions about how you're going to profit using options belong either here: Newbie Options Trading
or here: Advanced TSLA Options Trading

Thanks in advance for trying to keep threads reasonably sorted out; it makes it easier for everyone to read.

- - - Updated - - -

While I understand why some people write these kind of posts, I get really annoyed by the derailments that "investing is risky business, do it only if you know what you are getting into" kind of posts cause in various threads. Those kind of posts have appeared in various of threads and usually push the entire discussion in an unwanted direction.
However, some kind of "safeguard" for new users who may read about someone becoming a "teslanaire" overnight and risk everything they have because of us is needed.

So how about this solution: lets write together a sort of "disclaimer" that we could pin at the top of the forum for new/inexperienced investors/forum members. That way we won't need to reiterate the warnings constantly but can just point out the big yellow warning sign at the top of the page (might also be a healthy reminder for more experienced traders ;-) ).

Does anybody think this is a good idea? Is it doable?
Not only doable, but done: Announcements - TSLA Investor Discussions

If people have thoughts about how to improve it, please start a new thread to discuss.

I agree with the plea to create a separate forum for the lighter chatter. However, I'm really not that interested in the short-term thread because I have very little interest in the day-to-day price movements of Tesla. IMHO, TSLA is not a stock to trade it is a stock to own and hold because it is very volatile and way too unpredictable day-to-day. (I will allow an exception for ER calls or product reveals, etc.) I am invested in TSLA for the long-term. And when my friends ask me when I'm going to sell my stake, my response is: when Tesla is a mature auto manufacturer and their future growth is in-line with the rest of the auto industry. Actually, the proper time to exit will be right before this happens.

As far as the idea of being a moderate investor I think this is sage advice. However, I have ignored it. More than 80% of my investable assets are in TSLA stock and options (mostly long LEAPS). Let me start by stating that my 401k will remain in diversified securities and my business value is a nice part of my net-worth. Also my home equity will not be sacrificed for TSLA so I have several pools of my personal net worth that are free of Tesla. These assets are enough to allow me to retire comfortably should Tesla become worthless. Also I have almost 20 years of technical and sophisticated investment experience so I have a deep understanding of the risks I am exposed to. I have always encouraged diversification to manage risk. There is a guideline of never having more than 5% of your assets in 1 stock. I have practiced this rule-of-thumb my entire career for my own personal investments. This is the first time in my life I have ever devoted more than 1% of my personal net worth to 1 stock. So I am not a gambler historically. But you can now label me as such. I am gambling on Tesla because I have never believed in a companies future growth the way I do about Tesla's.

This allocation to Tesla did not happen overnight. I slowly and deliberately continued to shift my personal allocation to Tesla beginning last November. I reserved my Model S in September 2012 and the addiction to the car, the company and its future began. 5 weeks later Tesla started winning all of the COTY awards and I made my 1st purchase of TSLA. Over the next few months I started reading the forums and by early January I wanted to make a big bet on TSLA so I sold some other securities and jumped in. I got my car in February 2013 and the addiction grew. So in March I sold off a diversified group of equities and committed much more of my allocation to TSLA. 2 months later, luckily right before the Q1 earnings call, I sold off the last of my diversified securities and moved it into TSLA. In July I started to divert money from TSLA into LEAPS and some shorter term calls. I am obviously glad that I made those moves. Since then I have decided to sell my Ferrari 430 Spyder and a second home. You can guess where those proceeds are going once I have the money.

I do want to state that no one should follow my lead just because it has worked out for me so far. It could all fall apart. Elon could die. Elon could be found to be a fraud for understating costs to promote his sustainable transportation agenda. An earthquake could tumble NUMMI. My biggest fear though is that someone else comes up with a better battery breakthrough that makes Tesla's battery pack obsolete. I don't think that would bankrupt Tesla. I think they would survive on their innovation and brand loyalty. But if they did go BK, I have my 401k, my home and my business and I can continue to live my lifestyle. I will have lost a lot of money and some fun toys but I will not have lost my way in life.

Back to the OP - I agree with him when he urges everyone to invest an amount that does not endanger your future. I would add that I believe anyone making a large investment should seek the advice of an investment professional. For the first time in my life I am a gambler. But I believe I have seen through all of the rubbish and that Tesla is the leader in this revolution that is about to blow-up the auto and oil industries. Keep it up Elon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I do want to state that no one should follow my lead just because it has worked out for me so far. It could all fall apart. Elon could die. Elon could be found to be a fraud for overstating costs to promote his sustainable transportation agenda. An earthquake could tumble NUMMI. My biggest fear though is that someone else comes up with a better battery breakthrough that makes Tesla's battery pack obsolete. I don't think that would bankrupt Tesla. I think they would survive on their innovation and brand loyalty. But if they did go BK, I have my 401k, my home and my business and I can continue to live my lifestyle. I will have lost a lot of money and some fun toys but I will not have lost my way in life.

I've tried, and I think succeeded, in delivering a similar message in another thread. It's never wise to bet the farm on a single company, no matter how great it has done in the past.

I tell people to keep a core of safe index mutual funds in their 401(k) or equivalent plans, and invest only spare money in TSLA for the long haul. Day traders generally only make money for brokers. I say go long and sleep well at night. Enjoy the ups and downs as part of being a player in what may prove to be the most disruptive transport and energy storage company ever.