Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pleasant surprise at 25k service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my car from the annual 25k service.

I had originally reported issues with the touchscreen that in the beginning would freeze and say contact Tesla service very occasionally in the morning. The service advisor asked if I had plugged anything into the USB port (I had a USB drive with Itunes music) and suggested I remove it. After that it dramatically decreased the error notice and I figure it must have been the USB drive. Hadn't had an issue in probably 3-4 months and I was ok with it. However when i picked up my car they said that because I had reported the issue they decided to replace the entire touchscreen unit under warranty even though when I dropped of car the advisor asked me if I still have any issues with it and I honestly said not at all since I removed the USB.

So now I have this brand new touchscreen and now notice other things that have improved that I thought were just normal glitches:

1) I have the android Tesla app and whenever I got the Waking Up Car message (I have always connected off) it would say that it could not be connected. That has now completely disappeared as this was the first morning I got the waking up car screen which then proceeded to say I was connected
2) I left my USB plugged in over night and had no issues with touchscreen alert this morning (it always would freeze previously).

The service advisor said they thought the 5 band equalizer setting may be fixed with this (where it doesn't reset each morning) but unfortunately this was not solved.

Another interesting tidbit I learned. The service advisor said that Tesla now recommends tire rotation to coincide with the 12,500 mile service if you have DUAL motors (which I have) saying that because it has dual motors it is evenly balanced and doesn't need rotation as much. The single motor version apparently still has recommendation for every 6k miles. (wonder if anyone else has heard this).

Anyway I was impressed they replaced a very expensive unit for free when I wasn't even really complaining about it anymore..

I had a similar experience when I first picked up my 70D in June 2015. My windshield wipers left significant streaks behind, as if the wipers were worn due to some surface contaminant. The Devon, PA service center replaced the blades. They were fine for a few rainy drives but the problem soon returned. The SC couldn't detect any surface anomalies on the windshield, but they decided there must be an issue with the windshield, which they then replaced.

That fixed the problem. I was blown away that they would go to this effort for such a minor issue.

Similar experience: During annual service Tesla replaced the center console for free. The holding pin for the handle had broken off on one side and hence was lose on one side. I would have expected to pay for this as it is likely that we caused this very minor wear and tear problem.

I probably need one more tire rotation. 34k miles, I only had 1 so far - early on.

But checked my tires and they seem to be wearing pretty evenly so far (inside/middle/outside/front and back) all around 5-6/32nds.

Wow. I am not sure if it is different driving styles causing that kind of wear. I rotated my tires at 6k initially, then 25k. My tire depth reported on this service is 5's across (outer, inner, center) on both front tires and 6s on both rears. I personally thought a heavy car such as a Tesla would have even more rapid wear than this and was pleasantly surprised (when I read that some people were requiring tire replacements at 10k miles, etc)

6k tire rotation? lol. I can burn a rear set in 7500.

Wow. I am not sure if it is different driving styles causing that kind of wear. I rotated my tires at 6k initially, then 25k. My tire depth reported on this service is 5's across (outer, inner, center) on both front tires and 6s on both rears. I personally thought a heavy car such as a Tesla would have even more rapid wear than this and was pleasantly surprised (especially when I read that some people were requiring tire replacements at 10k miles, etc)

My RWD 85 goes in for a rotation every 5k or so, but they only rotate every other time when the rears are less than the front. Not perfectly even wear, but so slight I wouldn't call it uneven either.

In November, my tires were rotated and measured at:
(Outer) (Center) (Inner)
LF: 6/32 5/32 7/32
RF: 5/32 5/32 6/32
LR: 6/32 5/32 5/32
RR: 5/32 4/32 5/32