Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please confirm remote live sentry view is NOT available on Model S 2020 and Android app in USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model S using 2022.28.2 and the Android App v. 4.13.3. I have premium connectivity. I can activate sentry mode, but there is nowhere for me to view video through the app. Am I missing some setting or is remote live sentry view not available in the USA for my car? If it is supposed to be available, can someone send me a screenshot of where the setting or video display is?

I have a 2022 model s. So the ui may be a bit different. In the car, Go to the Safety section. There is a slider that says view live camera via mobile app. That slider must be on. It's between the disable sentry sounds and dashcam selection buttons. Then it should appear In the Mobil app to let you view your camera views.
20221012_191246.jpg

I can confirm that legacy cars like our 2020 models do not have the remote sentry. "The feature is available for Model 3, Model Y and the new Model S and X. Unfortunately, it's currently unavailable for 2020 and older Model S and X cars. It's not clear why Tesla has left the feature out of these cars...."

Reactions: zoomer0056
It's very likely 2020 and earlier cars lack hardware that's necessary for live view.

@JW500, All Model 3's from 2018 onwards that have an Intel based MCU have the EXACT same hardware as "Legacy" S/X with MCU2 and Autopilot 2.5 and up. The only physical difference is that Model 3's hardware is liquid cooled vs. S/X which is air/fan cooled.

All Model 3's ever built have Live Sentry mode.

This feature is deliberately being withheld by Tesla for MCU2 equiped "Legacy" S and X's. Even the code for Live Sentry mode has been implemented and dormant since the 2022.16 firmware branch, which was released back in May 17th!!! [Code is still present on the 2022.36 branch].

But as with all things Tesla, it's impossible to know when or if it's even going to be enabled or not, just like the Apple Music firmware code that came and went and it never got enabled 🤷‍♂️.

Are the newer models on 5G or 4G/LTE networks?

As of today, the modems on all current Tesla vehicles sold are still 4G/LTE only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonnymack74
Nothing in the cars today would require 5G, but I am sure within 6 months Tesla will start shipping 5G capable modems. 4G will be around a long time. The promised extremely fast 5G Ultra Wideband is still only available in very restricted urban areas on a neighborhood basis. Thousands more new towers will need to be installed. It will be a very long time until true 5G is realized across the country.

Reactions: DerbyDave
@JW500, All Model 3's from 2018 onwards that have an Intel based MCU have the EXACT same hardware as "Legacy" S/X with MCU2 and Autopilot 2.5 and up. The only physical difference is that Model 3's hardware is liquid cooled vs. S/X which is air/fan cooled.

All Model 3's ever built have Live Sentry mode.

This feature is deliberately being withheld by Tesla for MCU2 equiped "Legacy" S and X's. Even the code for Live Sentry mode has been implemented and dormant since the 2022.16 firmware branch, which was released back in May 17th!!! [Code is still present on the 2022.36 branch].

But as with all things Tesla, it's impossible to know when or if it's even going to be enabled or not, just like the Apple Music firmware code that came and went and it never got enabled 🤷‍♂️.

As of today, the modems on all current Tesla vehicles sold are still 4G/LTE only.
This really annoys the hell out of me. No reason why we should have this or blind spot cams for indication. After all these legacy cars are still the most expensive tesla you can buy outside of the US

The way objects are displayed is completely different on the 3 and the S. The processor is different on the 2021+ S. Sure it can be done, but it would cost some money to implement and then need to be maintained over time. It certainly could be done if Tesla invested in the time and money to implement it.

The way objects are displayed is completely different on the 3 and the S. The processor is different on the 2021+ S. Sure it can be done, but it would cost some money to implement and then need to be maintained over time. It certainly could be done if Tesla invested in the time and money to implement it.
Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that x and s models have same processor as earlier model 3s. It may take minimal effort to get the indicator cam on the display above the wheel but it should be straightforward to put it anywhere on the vertical screen.