Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please convince me to buy FSD (PS I used to own it...)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post isn't about dissing FSD or anything I just want you to convince me to buy it again.

Currently: I have a 2020 LR with EP with summon and such. It's 5k to upgrade to FSD for now so THIS IS TIME SENSITIVE.

Used to own: 2019 M3 sr+ with FSD (owned from may 2019 - July when I got my current long range).

So back then FSD wasn't really existing at any capacity. I used autolane change and that's it. I LOVE the FSD concept and the autopilot features and I am wondering if anyone with it currently can convince me to buy it again. I have seen some YouTube videos about the revamp but I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone with it.
Please convince me.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Just don't. Autopilot is equivalent to TACC what other manufacturers have and it is plenty.

FSD (for the price tag) means you can stay at home while your car runs your errands, that ain't going to happen any time soon.
That's originally why u bought. I use EAP to the fullest except summon as it has a decent battery drain here in Washington state because it's nearly always below 74 (Tesla's referred this as being not cold anymore). I've seen various videos of FSD and had it and it wasn't anything special. The new videos are very interesting though.
But I think that robotaxi has years to go and many changes needed.

with TSLA's current market valuation, I don't think Tesla needs us customers to fund it's FSD development program anymore. It still doesn't meet real world expectations of what "FSD" should be. NOA (EAP) is pretty good, but I think that's about as good as it's going to get for a while - save for parlor tricks like summon and identifying red and green traffic lights with some semblance of accuracy. That may be of value to you - if so, fork over the $5k and enjoy.

If you're not going to use it, or feel you don't really have to use it, and if you like driving as I do, you might consider doing without. This will work until you go to sell it, or until you are driving another eight hour leg across country to visit the folks. MAN it gets brutal without it sometimes. Other times, no big deal. But that's why we buy spare tires, isn't it?

It was all or nothing when I bough the car. No EAP option, so I got it, with the anticipation that it would get better over time, and it has, much better. Wouldn't be without it now.

On my commutes it does 85% of the boring stuff, leaving me time to 'manage' the car, rather than having to be constantly doing the micro-adjustments to speed and steering all the time. I can be deciding whether I want auto-lane change on, or if I want to decide what lane I want to be in, thinking about the best route, looking for hazards etc. Works even better if the traffic is slow. Just sit back, and let it do it's thing.

For me it's not a 'Full Autonomy' vs 'Manual Driving' thing, it's a useful tool in situations where it's good at doing what it does, and the cost when I bought it justified the benefit to me. Now it's getting better, and in the next iteration I believe will bring a significant jump in capability, and effectiveness, which will bring me benefits on top of the my 'break even' point.

It's quite a significant wedge of money now though. I'd like to see it broken up into a few different service-levels, or purchasable features now it's more mature, so you can pick-choose which parts you want, and which you might do without, so that when I get my next car I don't have to justify the whole feature set in one go.