Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please correct cars.com's advice against EV for Coast-to-Coast Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tam

Nov 25, 2012
California
Is Coast to Coast in an Electric Car Currently Viable?

The article above is against coast-to-coast EV due to long charging time as it says:

"We strenuously note that we would not recommend anyone actually attempt this; to drive this route in an electric car would take a long, long... long time (as we will explain)."

It does mention "Tesla supercharging locations" but it neglected to mention Tesla's faster charging rate while faithfully mentioning other manufacturers' slower rates.

The article neglected to mention that Tesla has done that since 2014

1/21/2014: 62 year old retired professor John Glenney & his daughter Jill drove in the middle of winter from New York city to Los Angeles in 5 days.

1/30/2014: Tesla employees also did it in from the hot dessert to the vortex of winter LAX to NYC, 3,400 miles in 76 hours or a little more than 3 days.

8/21/2016: Alex Roy team did it in just 55 hours or just a little more than 2 days.

7/1/2017: Freedom 5000 Team did it in 51 hours and 47 minutes or just a little more than 2 days.

Please write to the Cars.com's Editor and educate them that it's has been practical to drive coast-to-coast trip in an all-electric Tesla with decent time since 2014.

The email is:

[email protected]

Thanks!

Reactions: EinSV
I have done the I95 FLA to NY/NJ many times. in fact when I bought my first tesla in 2014 I picked the car up in NJ and drove it home to FLA. I had owned a leaf prior to that so I wasn't an EV newbie but I still did the trip without incident. In addition that first trip there were not as many SpCs between NJ and Glen Allen VA. Since then I have logged thousands of miles on road trips throughout a good portion of the US.

The article above is against coast-to-coast EV due to long charging time as it says:

"We strenuously note that we would not recommend anyone actually attempt this; to drive this route in an electric car would take a long, long... long time (as we will explain)."

It does mention "Tesla supercharging locations" but it neglected to mention Tesla's faster charging rate while faithfully mentioning other manufacturers' slower rates.

1/21/2014: 62 year old retired professor John Glenney & his daughter Jill drove in the middle of winter from New York city to Los Angeles in 5 days.

1/30/2014: Tesla employees also did it in from the hot dessert to the vortex of winter LAX to NYC, 3,400 miles in 76 hours or a little more than 3 days.

8/21/2016: Alex Roy team did it in just 55 hours or just a little more than 2 days.

7/1/2017: Freedom 5000 Team did it in 51 hours and 47 minutes or just a little more than 2 days.

Please write to the Cars.com's Editor and educate them that it's has been practical to drive coast-to-coast trip in an all-electric Tesla with decent time since 2014.

The email is:

[email protected]

Thanks!
Sigh, I'm sorry I even wasted a click reading that article.

The email is:

[email protected]

Thanks!
Email sent

• Love
Reactions: GSP and Tam
Here's the email I sent to the author and the editor:

Hello Brian,

What’s up with your article that coast to coast driving is not easy to do? I and many others have done it many times. I routinely drive several hundred mile days for my work . For the last 5 years I have been doing so in my Tesla S. Charging is quite fast. I’d say a 600 mile day takes me not more than an hour longer than it used to with a dino car. Yet I arrive refreshed and calm due to the silence and smoothness of my EV. With the Model 3 arriving soon, the same drives can be done in a $35,000 car.

So, it is you, not me, who asked the question: “Is Coast to Coast in an Electric Car Currently Viable?”
And yet your answer to your own question is pretty much 100% not well researched, or purposefully a hit piece. This is so obvious to most readers, are you not embarrassed?

Gene Rubin

EVs just require a little more advanced planning. There's so much FUD and misinformation out there about EVs right now. If you plan ahead with your charging and rest stops, it shouldn't take appreciably longer than in an ICE vehicle. If I were to do it, I'd make sure I have multiple plug adapters, and have a Plan A and Plan B for charging stops for each location.

Reactions: GSP
For a car advice site it's quite poor. The author doesn't even know about plugshare, which would address his complaint about mapping of stations.

However, a lot of the rest about lack of stations along the route would apply to non-Tesla EVs though. Usually such articles would mention "except Tesla," but that excuse probably doesn't apply anymore given there is now a $35k Tesla (it used to be they dismiss the S/X for the price tag).

Reactions: GSP
Here is what I sent:

To whom it may concern,

The article linked below highlights problems with many EVs that lack a properly designed fast charging network.

However, in my opinion you are doing your readers a disservice by not explaining how long distance travel is very practical and enjoyable using Tesla cars and their supercharging network. Along with virtually all other Tesla owners, I have found long 600+ mile per day trips very fun and easy to do.

Also, it would be helpful to explain how to use resources like PlugShare, and how best to arrange 240 V charging for EVs on trips, and also at home.

As editors of an automotive publication, you are in a good position to educate and help your readers enjoy EV ownership. I hope you will take the opportunity to do so.

GSP

• Love
Reactions: gregd, gene and Tam