Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please don't copy this idiot! (Mod: could be fake)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be due to idiots like this that autopilot will be outlawed! See this video.
Please don't abuse the brilliant technology we have. It only takes a few idiots dying or killing someone else as a result of their stupidity to have the authorities banning the use of autopilot.

It will be due to idiots like this that autopilot will be outlawed! See this video.
Please don't abuse the brilliant technology we have. It only takes a few idiots dying or killing someone else as a result of their stupidity to have the authorities banning the use of autopilot.

Seen it before and people think its fake, I mean who on earth can sleep like that!

Not only is he mad supposedly going to sleep like that, he’s doubly mad trusting AP with his life.

It seems to drive very erratically, lots of phantom braking incidents, and here in the UK if it thinks a bend in the road is too much of a curve it just gives up!

It is very clever, but to me it feels rather like a product still in beta.

Reactions: Artiste
It is very clever, but to me it feels rather like a product still in beta.

You got that right! On my recent 220 mile drive I lost count of how many times I experienced phantom braking. It was so annoying having autopilot disengage every time I changed lane I decided it was more trouble than it was worth. And although I can only speak from my own experience, the adaptive cruise control on my A6 works a whole lot better than TACC on my M3. I’m loving my Tesla, but yeah, all this tech I’ve been hearing so much about needs a lot of improvement before it’s fit for purpose.

You got that right! On my recent 220 mile drive I lost count of how many times I experienced phantom braking. It was so annoying having autopilot disengage every time I changed lane I decided it was more trouble than it was worth. And although I can only speak from my own experience, the adaptive cruise control on my A6 works a whole lot better than TACC on my M3. I’m loving my Tesla, but yeah, all this tech I’ve been hearing so much about needs a lot of improvement before it’s fit for purpose.
from what I can gather its because of eu laws that they are limiting it so much... get us out of the eu and there we go sorted!

It seems to drive very erratically, lots of phantom braking incidents, and here in the UK if it thinks a bend in the road is too much of a curve it just gives up!

That behaviour mystifies me. I’ve seen it before in a number of videos. I get why they do it, to keep lateral forces within regulatory limits although do not know how accurate that is and tbh they have most of the info to know rough cornering forces in advance . But if TACC is so happy to brake, you would have thought that AP cornering would have reduced speed if cornering forces were getting high rather than just giving up on steering all together.

This area of AP I would think would be a quick win to get right. AP seems to be not very good at predicting a few things right now and as a result it seems to have to react more harshly as it’s too late.

Reactions: Roy W.
from what I can gather its because of eu laws that they are limiting it so much... get us out of the eu and there we go sorted!

The current laws have nothing to do with phantom braking, that's just bugs in the software. I've had a few instances of phantom braking but really most of the time it's perfectly fine.

Also they're defined by UNECE which we were founder members of in 1947 so unless we also left that for some insane reason the rules stay as they are (due for the next wave of updates at the end of this month so it may become a non-issue soon anyway).

Reactions: phillcom3 and m-i-l
Don't know the specifics of this case so just playing devil's advocate, but what if the guy had just had a heart attack and the Autopilot slowly bringing the car to a halt actually prevented a much worse accident? Point is all the media now being so quick to judge.

Did you gather that from the Daily Mail by any chance?
no was a video on youtube from a guy explaining the different rules and how long it takes to change them and what the different parts of AP fit under and FSD fit under within the eu rules and as to why one might be fixed sooner than the other. for example self drive summon will take a very long time to roll out due to EU when it would be very quickly available in the USA

Don't know the specifics of this case so just playing devil's advocate, but what if the guy had just had a heart attack and the Autopilot slowly bringing the car to a halt actually prevented a much worse accident? Point is all the media now being so quick to judge.
there is an instance where this happened. the police followed behind the guy seeing him have this heart attack. they raced in front and gently slowed down bringing it to a stop and calling an ambulance in the meantime.