TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Please don't do this...(park blocking multiple Supercharger spots)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by epley, Aug 8, 2014.

1. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

What a jerk.

Seen at the Centralia, WA supercharger yesterday. There is no excuse for this, regardless of how many open stalls there are. Take the bikes off the rack if you have to, but don't park across 3 stalls.

IMG_2177.JPG

2. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

It certainly looks bad, though as long as the person was in the car and ready to relocate if someone arrived, I don't think that's a problem. I'm not sure how bike racks work, but it might have been painful pull it apart enough to back in sufficiently.

Certainly don't park it and leave it that way though!

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Please don't do this...

Did you get a picture of the plate? Was the owner in the car? That's crazy to do that. I'd let Tesla know too.

4. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

It looks like this person could have done it by blocking 2 plugs instead of 4. I don't have a problem if the owner is ready and willing to move it and tries to block as few as possible.

5. GlennAlanBerry

No to mention that they probably could have backed up so that the bike rack and bikes were between the SC posts (since they should not be wider than the car).

6. Zextraterrestrial

a disabled parking only Tesla stall? (far right) interesting

well, at least there are still 2 open chargers. not so bad as long as they aren't paired w/ the one being used, and no worries if the person remains by the car

7. epley

epley P85 VIN 693

This would have been the courteous way to do it. The family left the car and wandered off as my family parked to charge. They were nowhere to be seen 45 minutes later when my family left.

8. Zextraterrestrial

well that's crappy then

they should have inched forward and used the next charger and only blocked 1 extra by pinching the disabled stall some.

with the signs between chargers I don't think they could have backed up in between

9. santana338

santana338 Member

I've never supercharged so can someone tell me if you can charge while parked head in? If not, then this guy was doing the best he could since he can't back in with the signs between the stalls. I do agree he should have been nearby to move if someone needed access though.

10. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

As the OP said: "What a jerk."

11. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Even if I was fully charged, I'd have pulled up and told him to move just to get down to his/her level of stupid.

12. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I agree with this. Taking off the entire rack and putting it back on would probably take as long as charging alone, so I don't think that's realistic unless it was a situation where it had to be done that way. But he certainly could have pulled forward blocking just one or two chargers instead of all but one. And he should have stayed with the vehicle to be able to move if there was a sudden influx of people needing to charge...or at the very least to give out apologies and let folks know how much longer he would be before he would move along.

13. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I was giving benefit of the doubt, but, well, that's being a serious ass hat. For a long while, I'd been impressed with the level of manners/consideration/empathy of Tesla owners, but I guess as you get enough of them on the road Tesla owners will reflect the population as a whole...

14. dsm363

I guess Tesla could install think parking barriers along the parking lines. Would prevent this.

15. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

No, you cannot.

16. dsm363

Some Superchargers have one spot that is pull front in. I believe some of the newer ones have all of them like that.

17. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

This brings up an issue with the Model X assuming that it can pull a trailer. What do you do if pulling a trailer at a supercharger? What a pain to take it off every time you charge. I hope Tesla addresses this issue.

18. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

#18 wraithnot, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    My wife and I also stopped to charge at the Centralia supercharger yesterday (from 5:46 pm to 6:15 pm to be exact) and this car as well as one other car were there when I pulled up. But it didn't bother me at all since a) there were still plenty of empty stalls to choose from, b) at least when I pulled up, the entire family was hanging out on a blanket on the grass about 20 feet from the front of the car, and c) it looked like they parked that way to keep the car out of the sun and avoid needlessly running the AC while the car was charging. If they wandered off, it was probably for a brief bathroom break.

If the station had been busy then I agree this would have been very poor form. But under the circumstances it didn't seem too bad to me.

P.S. We had the blue 85 kWh with California plates and so many smashed bugs it may have been hard to tell the car was blue . . .

edit: just read epley's second post. Maybe the family wandered off twice- once when they first arrived and then again right when the OP went back to their car. But they were certainly all there when my wife and I arrived. The father even said hi when my wife and I headed to the outlets.

19. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Is the Model X going to have a factory hitch option? It's based on the same frame as the Model S, so I would expect not. And the owner's manual explicitly states you should not tow anything. Therefore, I wouldn't expect Tesla to address this issue at all since what your doing is already a safety hazard and against their instructions.

notow.png

20. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Guess I'm going to be one of the unpopular ones here ... but if the owner was nearby making sure there was always an empty space available for any Model S that pulled up to charge, I don't see the problem. It's a problem if someone was blocked or would have been blocked. I see empty spaces. Another poster reports the family was nearby, monitoring (though they could have stepped away briefly). I don't expect them to tear down their bike rack (if that's the reason they needed to park that way) just to charge, when they had another option. And certainly on a hot day, maximizing shade is a good thing.

Are we overreacting?