Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please don't do this...(park blocking multiple Supercharger spots)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are probably over reacting in this case but people shouldn't park like this. The Model S wasn't designed with a toe hitch in back so that is aftermarket and difficultly supercharging should be part of that equation. If that means taking the bikes off each time to avoid blocking 4 spots while charging that is what they need to do.

So even if no one is there AND they stay with the car ... you feel they should take the bikes off each time to charge?

Assuming the X is tow-rated, I plan to just unhook and rehook the trailer when supercharging. It's actually pretty quick and simple. (Lower the stand, raise it, detach the safety clips, unplug the light wiring ... then reverse)

I'd guess it would be far faster than removing those bikes and bike rack.

This is the crux of the SC parking situation. The current design works well for a stock Model S. When you start adding anything to the rear it makes backing in harder. Once the Model X comes out (and I recall the Elon statement about being a capable towing machine) I wouldn't expect Model X owners to have to park and drop a trailer to charge (although as bonnie points out, dropping the trailer is easier than unloading 4 bikes from a rack). I have a trailer and a 4 bike rack so this is going to one of the big issues for me with the Model X. I will be watching closely when it comes out.

Perhaps with the model X Tesla could install a redundant charge port on the front of the vehicle, maybe hidden up towards the front right somewhere. This would allow much more flexibility in dealing with weird charging situations (not just when towing).

Please don't do this...

So even if no one is there AND they stay with the car ... you feel they should take the bikes off each time to charge?

They should be prepared to do that if things are busy. If they stay with the car and are willing to move if someone else comes then it is not a big deal.

It sounds like they stepped away at least twice though likely for very short periods.

It may not be possible, but wouldn't a stall configuration like this solve this issue?

image.jpg

Allows for front in parking so trailers or bike racks do not interfere.

Prevents any long vehicle from ICEing multiple spots.

While that person in the first post picture is no doubt a jerk, it goes to reinforce that either you have charging slot in the front like Leaf, or have your charging-handle infrastructure position in a way you can pull in and charge. Even at home, charging is way more easier if you have the slot near the front of the car.

This backing-up to charge nonsense is very silly. A lot of people here would back anything what Tesla does, but this is one area they got it wrong.

It may not be possible, but wouldn't a stall configuration like this solve this issue?

View attachment 56005

That would be ideal. It seems a lot of the initial supercharger spots take up a lot less land that that would so Tesla would have to secure bigger plots of land.

After reading all the posts, you have convinced me: maybe not so bad. They should have stayed around a bit more, perhaps. And had they used the farthest right stalls they could have blocked fewer stations. Thanks all for reminding me that patience and tolerance go a long way (it's been a crappy week).

View attachment 56005

That type of stall design is great in spots where you don't get snow. But imagine trying to get a snowplow around that and keeping it clear. The design where you back in and the Superchargers are located off the parking lot is ideal for plowing.

'I may live in California, but I grew up in Minnesota'

- - - Updated - - -

After reading all the posts, you have convinced me: maybe not so bad. They should have stayed around a bit more, perhaps. And had they used the farthest right stalls they could have blocked fewer stations. Thanks all for reminding me that patience and tolerance go a long way (it's been a crappy week).

And thanks for being such an adult! I hope it's a great weekend :)

View attachment 56005

This.

Anything that makes a SuperCharger look less like a series of spaces in a parking lot and more like a gas station I suspect stimulates the "oh, that's like a gas station, those aren't parking spaces" neurons in ICE driver brains.

I've yet to see ICE-ing at any SC that has the full canopy and "charger pumps". I wish they were ALL this way.

Tesla's make-it-a-parking-lot approach is cheap and saves money, sure, but the burden is still put on the Tesla customer by having to deal with ICE situations.

An ideal SC would have an arrangement just like gas pump islands at gas stations. This would also solve the impending "Model X pulling a trailer" situation.

It snows in Minnesota, Bonnie??? Not to worry. It will soon be better with global warming....oops, I mean "climate change" (gotta use the correct terminology now days) :tongue: But seriously, I think we all need to realize there is not an all-in-one solution for many of these kinds of issues. I am certainly thankful that we can come, discuss, and learn.

That type of stall design is great in spots where you don't get snow. But imagine trying to get a snowplow around that and keeping it clear. The design where you back in and the Superchargers are located off the parking lot is ideal for plowing.

What if the stall was modified to function like a bank teller lane? One way in; One way out. This would allow the plow to go straight through and clear the path.

What if the stall was modified to function like a bank teller lane? One way in; One way out. This would allow the plow to go straight through and clear the path.
This was mentioned at REFUEL as a better way to set up the superchargers for the event. It potentially simplifies the "traffic jam" effect considerably for over-populated locations.

It also reinforces that it's a transient activity not a parking spot to leave your vehicle unattended for an undefined duration.

This was mentioned at REFUEL as a better way to set up the superchargers for the event. It potentially simplifies the "traffic jam" effect considerably for over-populated locations.

It also reinforces that it's a transient activity not a parking spot to leave your vehicle unattended for an undefined duration.

Sounds great. I'm sure there is a balance that has to be struck between how much real estate/parking spots can be taken up (this solution appears to take up more space) and preventing blocking/ease of pulling up.

If I had to make the decision, I'd probably have a mix, with less pull through spots in urban areas where you're unlikely to have trailers and hitch racks, more pull straight in spots in areas where there is no snow, and more pull through spots where you're going to have lots of trailers, are dealing with snow clearance, and/or historically have a population who likes to ice the spots. And lots of variations. (For those of you who want to say 'but what about this .. and this .. and this. Right. Gotcha. This was only an example, not the final decision-making paragraph. Don't get all wordsmithy on me. :) )

Don't get all wordsmithy on me. :)
less pull through spots
fewer ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds great. I'm sure there is a balance that has to be struck between how much real estate/parking spots can be taken up (this solution appears to take up more space) and preventing blocking/ease of pulling up.
If you put the superchargers on the street side with the exit being a ramp onto the street then no additional space is required. :)

If you put the superchargers on the street side with the exit being a ramp onto the street then no additional space is required. :)

Sure. In a perfect world, that spot will exist right where it needs to be on the map. Right next to the unicorn zoo. :)

Meaning, if that opportunity presents, great. But it's unlikely everyone can always get what they want. But you'll get what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
This REALLY bothers me. Not to beat a dead horse here. But I was in centralia two weeks ago at the super charger and there was a MS charging at the far left stall with the exact Eco hitch and same amount of bikes on his car full loaded and he was backed in charging. He didn't park like this. To do this is just ridiculous. Just seems to me like laziness. They got there no one else was there so thought hey lets park across instead of taking the time to jockey into a stall which will take a few tries because the camera is blocked by the bikes and tow hitch set up. C'mon people it's bad enough to be ICED lets not clog up all the chargers with ONE tesla