Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please don't do this...(park blocking multiple Supercharger spots)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the driver could have done a better job of limiting how many stalls they occupied, but if they were around and the Supercharger didn't get clogged up I don't see a huge issue. Unlike some of the posts above, I don't think there's any way they could have backed into the spots and got anywhere near close enough (there's signs between the Supercharger stands, no room for the bikes to go between them).

Also, those bikes stick out an insane amount. They look like they're sticking out 4 to 5 feet from the back of the car at the furthest point. I can't imagine the terrible effect them being back that far has on efficiency.

Assuming the owner is nearby I have zero problem with this...because...

- I often travel with 4 bikes on a rear rack and as someone else mentioned, it can take forever to get them on right. It's a giant puzzle getting all the handlebars and pedals aligned. And the rack itself needs a special wrench/tool to remove it. So, in my opinion, removing the bikes/rack is an unreasonable request. Especially if traveling with kids and that 30 minute supercharge is already an inconvenience. You can roadtrip for free in your Tesla! But if you need to stop and supercharge you need to factor in an extra 45 minutes to remove your bikes/hitch and then put them back on. Oh, and make sure you don't mind getting getting filthy on your travel day...you'll have bike grease on your hands, you'll have to get on the ground to take the rack off. Did we mention the supercharger is free though? One main reason I bought a MS is because it is practical for my family of 5. If I need to take bikes off at a supercharge then we are taking the Sequoia on our trip every time.
- Having said that, the owner can't block it at the expense of others. But having been to this Supercharger numerous times, it's usually a ghost town. The attached pic was from the Sunday of July 4th weekend...an incredibly busy travel day. No one there and plenty of space to maneuver. So assuming the owners were nearby (sounds like they were even there on a blanket in the grass) there's nothing wrong in my mind. Wait until the Model Xs start showing up and people have a ton of hitch racks for their bikes/skis because the Falcon doors prevent roof boxes...this becomes a problem!

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 838
This brings up an issue with the Model X assuming that it can pull a trailer. What do you do if pulling a trailer at a supercharger? What a pain to take it off every time you charge. I hope Tesla addresses this issue.

Assuming the X is tow-rated, I plan to just unhook and rehook the trailer when supercharging. It's actually pretty quick and simple. (Lower the stand, raise it, detach the safety clips, unplug the light wiring ... then reverse)

I'd guess it would be far faster than removing those bikes and bike rack.

Is the Model X going to have a factory hitch option? It's based on the same frame as the Model S, so I would expect not. And the owner's manual explicitly states you should not tow anything. Therefore, I wouldn't expect Tesla to address this issue at all since what your doing is already a safety hazard and against their instructions.

View attachment 55983

In the past Elon tweeted that the Model X will have class-leading towing capacity. Don't have a good way to find the tweet right now but if you search TMC you'll find reference to it.

Please don't do this...

Not all people are as considerate as this family if they indeed stayed next to the car. I can easily imagine someone leaving for a hour. What do you do if two cars decide to do this? Two cars could block all 8 slots. If someone needed a charge they would have to move but I can also see someone refusing to move because they got there first.

We are probably over reacting in this case but people shouldn't park like this. The Model S wasn't designed with a toe hitch in back so that is aftermarket and difficultly supercharging should be part of that equation. If that means taking the bikes off each time to avoid blocking 4 spots while charging that is what they need to do.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if the MX charge port is not in the same place as the MS... I recall the early stations where pull-in and I think all the new ones are back-in (for MS). I always thought that was perhaps a clue that the future cars will charge further up front.

I've never supercharged so can someone tell me if you can charge while parked head in? If not, then this guy was doing the best he could since he can't back in with the signs between the stalls. I do agree he should have been nearby to move if someone needed access though.

No, the cable is very short. You have to be within just a few feet for the cable to reach.

I think I know who that is but won't share the name. It looks to me like they could have pulled forward and blocked one less stall but they would protrude into the parking lot entrance (though it's pretty wide).

It's not that big a deal as the most I've ever seen at centralia is 3 cars (including mine). If they were willing to move, what's the big deal? I guess one valid complaint would be if it forced 2 cars to share a charger but, apparently, that did not happen.

[soapbox]Why do people get so up in arms about situations that do not affect them directly? A little forbearance wouldn't hurt.[/soapbox]

It sounds like they were near their car most if the time but did step away for a bit. I'd send them a PM or email if you do know who it is and suggest leaving their cell phone number on the dash in case someone needed to reach them. You are right it is unlikely to be a problem now but at some point things will get busy enough that he can't count on being able to do this or if he does, he will have to be willing to unplug and move if someone needs one of the three spots he is blocking.

He should have pulled a little more forward, blocking 1A, 1B, and 2A instead of what he did here (blocking 1B, 2A, and 2B). Why? Because if someone had pulled into 1A and someone else had pulled into 3A straddling the line between 2B and 3A, he would have been boxed in!

At any rate, doesn't seem like that big a deal if he was nearby and there were open stalls. An ICE parking there like that would have been grounds for d-bag status.

I think the owner didn't think this thru very well, as they could have very easily gotten themselves in a situation where they couldn't leave when they wanted to, because 2 other S's showed up to charge and effectively blocked them in.

I have pulled up similar to the way the owner did in the pic a couple of times (after a huge snowstorm and the SC area hadn't been plowed well). But when I did I charged on the farthest right spot so I wasn't blocking any of the other chargers.