Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please don't rely on tesla road assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is shocking mate. That's sort of experience that will shake your faith in a brand to the core. I would take that to one of the consumer websites. Tesla need to wake up.

We all know Tesla are shockingly bad at building cars, buying a new one is lottery. But in the past at least they made up for things with good customer service.

Its pretty clear now Tesla currently service is rapidly heading down hill, anyone still remember the days they would pick up the car from Heathrow, look after it/charge it than drop it off at Heathrow when you arrive back in the UK!!

I love our X, but these on going stories about ever worsening customer service + the inability of Tesla to build cars without faults makes is hard to stay loyal to the brand.

• Disagree
Reactions: SSonnentag
We all know Tesla are shockingly bad at building cars, buying a new one is lottery. But in the past at least they made up for things with good customer service.

Its pretty clear now Tesla currently service is rapidly heading down hill, anyone still remember the days they would pick up the car from Heathrow, look after it/charge it than drop it off at Heathrow when you arrive back in the UK!!

I love our X, but these on going stories about ever worsening customer service + the inability of Tesla to build cars without faults makes is hard to stay loyal to the brand.

I suspect the issues are, at least in part, a consequence of Tesla having grown so rapidly from a small volume, high value, car manufacturer to a relatively high volume one, in the space of just a couple of years. This is perhaps amplified by the relatively small number of RHD cars they made and sold here prior to the launch of the Model 3.

I get the feeling that service centre staff are being recruited and trained as fast as possible, but that this process is lagging way behind customer expectations, made worse by the significant number of new cars that have to be returned for defect corrections that should have been picked up pre-delivery. I think this latter point is also why Tesla are getting a lot of flack about quality. New cars from many other brands have a pretty comprehensive PDI before they are handed over to the customer, so the customer is blissfully unaware of any defects the car may have had when it left the manufacturing plant. Tesla seem not to do PDIs, so customers are seeing problems that may well exist on other brands, but are hidden by the pre-delivery inspection and rectification process.

Looking at Tesla sales globally, they have ramped up massively over the past few years:

Tesla sales.jpg

Compare that with the relatively stable sales from Toyota over the past decade or so:

Toyota sales.jpg

I know I’m risking sounding patronising but may I also suggest that you carry some sort of warm kit with you?
I always have a spare coat (I actually also have a duvet in my boot), just in case the car breaks down in the depths of cold winter. Have done so for quite a few years at the suggestion of my better (much better) half who works in the Emergency services.
Also, I would suggest that if the car is broken down you use the triangle that is included in the car to make you less reliant on the hazard lights (which also seem to have failed in your case).

For a country that deals with extremes of weather occasionally, many drivers seem to have a rather cavalier attitude to the start of their journey (I’m thinking of an earlier thread complaining that the headlights get “frosten” in the winter).

Ultimately, I am glad you were safe and I’m sorry that you had such a distressing experience.

I know I’m risking sounding patronising but may I also suggest that you carry some sort of warm kit with you?
I always have a spare coat (I actually also have a duvet in my boot), just in case the car breaks down in the depths of cold winter. Have done so for quite a few years at the suggestion of my better (much better) half who works in the Emergency services.
Also, I would suggest that if the car is broken down you use the triangle that is included in the car to make you less reliant on the hazard lights (which also seem to have failed in your case).

For a country that deals with extremes of weather occasionally, many drivers seem to have a rather cavalier attitude to the start of their journey (I’m thinking of an earlier thread complaining that the headlights get “frosten” in the winter).

Ultimately, I am glad you were safe and I’m sorry that you had such a distressing experience.

I even carry a garden spade in the boot to potentially dig the car out of the snow! Maybe seems over the top but it's definitely been frosten out there lately ("frosten" is my favourite new word these days :)).

No. I called the police because I was stranded in the middle of nowhere, with no assistance in sight freezing to death. A colleague of mine had to endanger himself driving under these conditions to help me.
Happy now?
Sorry for insulting your beloved Tesla..

Nothing wrong with calling the police even just to inform them of your situation, whether they do anything or not is another matter.

I would most defiantly get breakdown cover elsewhere as well even just the basics, you can of course phone the AA and sign up straightaway they just charge you a fee around £75 on top if your not a member I think.

Carrying on with this; car apparently is sitting at the service center and none has touched so far. According to both the app and teslafi which still shows the car where I abandon it before it got towed. Called the SC half an hour ago; nothing on their system yet; will call me back. Yes sure....
Started looking for alternatives already....

Mine's been sitting at the SC for a week untouched. I know 'cos they haven't cancelled sentry mode - (I forget to take out my cheap thumb drive so the recordings may be fun??) and I had to get them to plug it in for the w/e 'cos it was down to less than 20%.
As it goes I don't care 'cos I have an identical rental loaner and happy to put miles on that instead - assuming I can ever get out of the sheet ice onto a functional main road....

Mine's been sitting at the SC for a week untouched. I know 'cos they haven't cancelled sentry mode - (I forget to take out my cheap thumb drive so the recordings may be fun??) and I had to get them to plug it in for the w/e 'cos it was down to less than 20%.
As it goes I don't care 'cos I have an identical rental loaner and happy to put miles on that instead - assuming I can ever get out of the sheet ice onto a functional main road....

Sitting for a week? Which SC is this one? Mine is as Stockport at the moment. I was hoping that since mine is an electrical issue and the car is pretty much dead they would look into it with some urgency. Guess not.
I got an ICE loaner and doing lot of mileage per day so not very happy about it.
Second time in two months that the car is in due to electrical issues. Not very happy at the moment.

My father-in-law broke down on the motorway a few weeks ago and it took the AA over 4 hours to get there. His car manufacturer doesn’t have any roadside assistance at all.

Our village flooded recently too and a BMW got stranded. It was there for hours before the recovery truck came. Our MX drove through without any issue, although raised suspension helped.

I consider Tesla roadside assistance more of a trouble shooting service than reliable emergency recovery. Luckily I’ve never had to call them in my 3 years and 40k miles of ownership. I also have RAC cover for rescue. If I did break down I would call Tesla to see if they could help with a remote fix and also call the RAC for rescue. I certainly wouldn’t rely solely on Tesla in an emergency!

Last edited:
Sitting for a week? Which SC is this one? Mine is as Stockport at the moment. I was hoping that since mine is an electrical issue and the car is pretty much dead they would look into it with some urgency. Guess not.
I got an ICE loaner and doing lot of mileage per day so not very happy about it.
Second time in two months that the car is in due to electrical issues. Not very happy at the moment.

Mine's in Birmingham. Funnily the rental Tesla came from Enterprise Stockport. As to electrical issues - when I had the rodent incursion which showed up as electrical it was 2 weeks before they got around to looking at it and finding the problem (and weeks for parts)....I had an ICE rental that time, didn't bother me.

Mine's in Birmingham. Funnily the rental Tesla came from Enterprise Stockport. As to electrical issues - when I had the rodent incursion which showed up as electrical it was 2 weeks before they got around to looking at it and finding the problem (and weeks for parts)....I had an ICE rental that time, didn't bother me.

Rodent incursion? That sucks.. Did they fix that under warranty?

4k??? is that for a model 3?

Apologies just saw that you own an S.

Back to my odyssey i will give them a call today. No high hopes though. At least I will see if they are ok with me dropping by to get the little one's car seats since I can see mine being there for the long run.

4k??? is that for a model 3?

It was an S but it'd likely be similar for replacing most of the wiring loom sections and large parts of the a/c system and the time it must have taken to clean the nest and mess out. Then there was my additional cost of installing a "Rat-mat" electric floor so it shoudn't happen again - and the back pain for this old fart of drilling a couple of hundred holes into the concrete floor to plug and fix the mat panels down..

When we talk about roadside assistance what do we really mean? When I had to ring I ended up speaking to somebody in Holland, had a chat, remote diagnosis, needed recovery, etc. The recovery truck wasn't Tesla or branded in any way Tesla, it was one of those companies that I think the police use to scrape cars off motorways after accidents and they seemed to offer nothing more than a lift and shift service, there was certainly no attempt to fix the car.

Other makes of car have a contract with the AA or RAC and they do it. There's zero excuse however small or large Tesla is or was not to have a decent contract with a third party recovery service to deal with this. That said, you do have to make allowances for the weather, like many things in the UK we don't gear ourselves for the 3 snowy days a year and I imagine the weather made both travel difficult and a greater call out rate with cars having minor shunts all over the place. The trick is communication, if you know you're not forgotten and that it might take 4 hours at least you can prepare yourself for that. Not knowing is a horrible feeling when you're stranded.